Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2022, 08:36 PM   #1
Atileman

Looking for best route port Angeles to Yuma

Hi all looking for a little wisdom from you seasoned travelers. I am leaving November 14 2022 from Port Angeles heading to Yuma with a truck pulling a 30 ft travel trailer and looking for advise on a route. I know sticking to I-5 is probably the most popular choice but did that way last yr. What kind of mountains will I encounter if I were to get off the I-5 and take OR-58 to US-97 and head to 139 then 395 thru Reno and Carson city. How about taking I-84 and going straight down Nevada ?
Atileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 01:34 PM   #2
wegone

395 is very doable.

I drove it from southern California back to Pudget Sound last year and was very surprised at how much it has changed since the last time I drove it decades ago.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:04 PM   #3
Ron

We live in Eastern Washington and travel I84 to Twinn Falls then Hwy 93 to Vegas and on, being using that route since 96 and love it, we took Hwy 95 home last year and we will never do that again, way slower with way to many towns to go through etc.
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:13 PM   #4
JBM3M

I have a 30 foot 5th wheel, if I had to go from Portland (near where I live) to Yuma, I would take I84 and then pick up I15 near Idaho Falls. Take that to Vegas and then start the secondary roads either thru Bullhead AZ or Lauglin NV. That will be flattest and least traffic route.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 05:16 PM   #5
Atileman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
I have a 30 foot 5th wheel, if I had to go from Portland (near where I live) to Yuma, I would take I84 and then pick up I15 near Idaho Falls. Take that to Vegas and then start the secondary roads either thru Bullhead AZ or Lauglin NV. That will be flattest and least traffic route.
Hi JBM3M that is the way we returned last yr as our last stop was Vegas for a week after we left Bullhead. We went that way because we wanted to see Vegas and fuel prices in Utah and Idaho are a dollar a gallon + cheaper than California.

I was concerned taking that route again in mid November that I would encounter lots of cold weather and snow.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:01 PM   #6
JBM3M

Actually, that route has the tendency to get less snow, more wind. Choose your travel time no matter which route you take to avoid weather systems if possible. Windytv.com has a great app that allows you to 'predict' your own weather. Winds at any altitude, fronts, pressures, rain/snow/ice/precipitation. Great online, not sure if phone app is worth the $.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 02:59 PM   #7
KJLarson

Forget I5 as it will take you through LA, which I avoid at all costs (used to live there) which is a traffic nightmare driving with a trailer in addition to mountain driving in Oregon and Northern CA where you will have snow and need chains on both vehicles, OR law, in November.

When we go to AZ from Sequim I take Hwy 101 (east side), little slower compared to going through Silverdale on Hw 16, to I5 to I405 around Portland than east on I84 through the Columbia Gorge than south on I15; any snow you run into in Idaho or Utah will have been cleared off the road as both states are very good at keeping their roads open. Most of the route is flat and what "mountains" there are low and friendly for pulling a trailer even in the winter. Less stressful and avoids the I5 traffic and mountain driving in snow. Watch the weather reports and be safe out there.
KJLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:02 PM   #8
Atileman

thanks JBM3M for the tip on the windy app looks like it will work perfect. I won't need the mobile app because I see I can use my phone hotspot to run windy on my laptop.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:07 PM   #9
Atileman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJLarson View Post
Forget I5 as it will take you through LA, which I avoid at all costs (used to live there) which is a traffic nightmare driving with a trailer in addition to mountain driving in Oregon and Northern CA where you will have snow and need chains on both vehicles, OR law, in November.

When we go to AZ from Sequim I take Hwy 101 (east side), little slower compared to going through Silverdale on Hw 16, to I5 to I405 around Portland than east on I84 through the Columbia Gorge than south on I15; any snow you run into in Idaho or Utah will have been cleared off the road as both states are very good at keeping their roads open. Most of the route is flat and what "mountains" there are low and friendly for pulling a trailer even in the winter. Less stressful and avoids the I5 traffic and mountain driving in snow. Watch the weather reports and be safe out there.
I was planning on taking the 101 (east side) it's a nice drive. We will be spending our first night at 7 cedars