Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2022, 03:11 AM   #1
Weldon

My Good Deed of the Day

Sunday I left from Alabama after visiting my dad for two days since he was just released from the hospital. As I'm pulling out on the highway, I notice the closest vehicle coming towards me is a TV and TT. I had plenty of time to get up to speed without him touching his breaks, but I notice something odd when double checking my mirrors and his location to mine. I realize the guy is pulling the camper with his antenna fully extended. Of course this is a 2 lane hwy with no safe place to pull beside him and ask him about the antenna. The speed limit is 55 and this guy was pulling his TT 5-10 mph under the limit. He had approx a 25' - 30' Eagle TT and pulling it with a F350, so plenty of TV. Just a safe driver. I realized if he was that safe, there's almost no chance he realizes the antenna is still extended, so I match his speed an bide my time. 30 miles and 45 mins later, the road finally becomes a 4-lane and I pull beside him. I had to honk 5 or more times, waving my hands like some lunatic, but he finally notices me. It's a youngish guy...maybe 30ish. No other passengers. He pulls over and I tell him about the antenna. He says his self made checklist didn't include checking the antenna but it would going forward. And also says where he's going to setup would've snapped the antenna off if he arrived with it extended. With his thanks I pull back on the road and he goes toward his TT to lower the antenna. I've helped others before, but normally either on the forum or at the campsite. I'm not used to flagging people down on the hwy, but on the drive home, I thought about the difference between campers and the general public. Normally we are willing to help each other, and most other non campers. The public now is more willing to pull you over just to steal your car (they can try but it won't happen without major injuries). I didn't do anything special...just how my folks raised me. But I sure wish more people looked for ways to help other folks instead of ways to get what they themselves want without a care to everyone else. And it's good to have a forum full of people that help other people daily. Y'all have helped me solve a dozen or more issues over the past several years. Just wanted to let you know that it's appreciated.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:15 AM   #2
Camping family

Would always try and help,someone if I can also. It’s a shame the world has come to what I call,all,about me people. People who care only about their self and no one else.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:03 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I think it goes beyond selfishness or not wanting to help. IMO I think a lot of it has to do with fear. Now days you might stop to aid a woman that appears in distress only to find out that it is a carjacking ruse. The increase in law suits aimed at "good samaritans" and the ever decreasing protections afforded the actions by the laws creates skepticism when folks want to do "the right thing". Seems to me like another attack on morality.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:54 AM   #4
CampNBrew2

Agreed on all counts. Society in general anymore makes me sad. We have always tried to help where possible. We just recently flagged down some motorcycle riders who one of them had their keys about to fall out of their rear top luggage box.
I have been flagged down before as well thankfully. I had one of my safety chains dragging. For the life of me I can't understand how I missed it. Plus this was right after a major wildfire so I was horrified to be "that guy" . The looks the guy gave me were warranted unfortunately.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:58 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I think it goes beyond selfishness or not wanting to help. IMO I think a lot of it has to do with fear. Now days you might stop to aid a woman that appears in distress only to find out that it is a carjacking ruse. The increase in law suits aimed at "good samaritans" and the ever decreasing protections afforded the actions by the laws creates skepticism when folks want to do "the right thing". Seems to me like another attack on morality.
I get pretty young gals waving their arms and calling to me for help all the time by the side of the road. My missus often slaps me if I even think of slowing down. Must be my animal magnetism. (PS: I made that up)
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:43 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I get pretty young gals waving their arms and calling to me for help all the time by the side of the road. My missus often slaps me if I even think of slowing down. Must be my animal magnetism. (PS: I made that up)
Nah, say it ain't so!
Old 09-20-2022, 07:37 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I've always stopped to aid a woman, young, old, pretty or not.
On the other hand if there's a guy, seemingly more than able, parked along side the road with a flat, he's on his own, if he doesn't know how to put the spare on it's about time they learn.
Honestly I've had folks point to me I had a trailer flat, antenna is up, but none have stopped to help.
Saw a TV news snippet once stating that the average male today has absolutely no idea how to open the hood to check any fluids & couldn't find the jack or spare, let alone use it or put it on, if their life depended on it.
I've also found that most today can't do any of the normal household repairs either, it either doesn't get fixed or they pay dearly for someone else to do it. SAD!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:43 AM   #8
locomech

It's nice to read about people who will take the time to warn or help others that are having problems while on the road.

When I'm using the television antenna in the camper I hang a "remove before flight" type of tag on the crank handle. Forgetting to put the antenna down is something that can be easily overlooked, and is something I would not want to have to replace. I have forgotten to raise the tongue jack once, but never forgot about my antenna.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:04 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Forgetting a step is easily done, especially if you get distracted. I have a check list that I run thru before leaving, last step is turning on truck lights and emergency flasher. If the flashers work then the brake lights and turn signals work.

The first time out with a camper that used a WDH I was attaching the weight bars when I was interrupted. When we got home and started to unhitch I realized one bar was still setting on the trailer A frame. That's when I made my checklist and keep it on my phone. Now I take it one step further. Before leaving I take a Pic of the hitch so I can see everything is plugged in and all attachments are secure. It may be overkill but I figure if we were ever in a serious accident I would have proof of the setup.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:17 AM   #10
dutchmensport

I'm glad there are still some good Samaritans out there. Thank-you for your diligence in stopping this guy.

Many years ago we had an issue that required us to stop on the side of the road with trailer in tow. No one offered to help, no one. We did get the matter taken care of, but it was right then I made up my mind if I ever saw anyone with an RV on the side of the road, I'd stop and inquire if they needed help or not. If they did and I could make a difference I would. If it was beyond my skills I'd make sure they had the help coming they needed. And I've never missed.

Since then, I've stopped for several RVers on the side of the road. Many were just stopping for a bathroom break, but they appreciated my concern. Some were truly in a pickle. A couple I could help. Some I could not. For some, it was just a good thing to pull my rig into the road a little more to create a block for traffic on the road side of their rig.

Whenever I stopped and they needed help and the problem was resolved, I've always been offered money. I absolutely refuse. I tell them they need to do one thing as a return in payment .... and that is ... if they ever see another RVer on the side of the road, to remember this moment that they just experienced, remember your lostness, and remember how it makes you feel to know you got help. And then stop and help that person too ... because ... that next person just might be ME! (they always laugh at that).
Old 09-21-2022, 06:11 AM   #11
Outbackman57

RVers and most bikers are the same. Never leave someone stranded. Nowadays it’s usually just asking if they’re OK and if they have a phone, but it is making the effort that’s important. I say the same thing to people as Dutch, “Just do something nice for someone else today.” The smallest gesture on your part could make a world of difference to someone else. You guys are awesome. Tito, hand me a tissue!

John Santy
‘06 Kargoroo 28KRS
‘20 F-150 XLT
‘00 FLHRCI
‘21 Royal Enfield Himalayan
Outbackman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:18 AM   #12
larryflew

Thanks for the reminder guys. New trailer need new check list.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:42 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

Not that long ago my missus was driving in her Crown Vic coming back towards the house. About 5 miles from where we live, a guy with a bike was stranded on the side of the road. My missus stopped and rolled down her window and asked what was wrong. He said he ran out of gas. She asked him if he had checked the RESERVE and he said he didn't think his bike had one. My wife wasn't sure how or where the reserve on the petcock was but knew there was one.

She got home a few minutes later and told me to go help the guy. I took off and when I got there he somehow knew I belonged to that nice blond lady. I put his reserve on (was his first time out on a bike) and he drove off. I do think bikers are more likely to stop for other bikers. Just part of biker DNA I guess. I always stop for someone broken down when I think they need a hand, biker or not.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:59 AM   #14
Hblick48

I got flagged down while driving twice. Once for tv antenna and once for my steps in the down position. I now do 2 walk arounds before leaving campsite. Now, every time someone passes me, I look at them to make sure they aren't trying to tell me something.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:07 AM   #15
LERD

A checklist is a great idea always. But another great idea is don't let your friends help out, without double checking after. My wife's boss before retirement went for a boat ride with us. He said "I'll put up the bimini for you". He's a marina boater so I said sure. Well my drain plug was right next to the bimini screws for a reason. As a mater of fact, I had 3 of them just in case. Well guess who didn't double check his work and ended up going for a swim?
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:10 AM   #16
travelin texans

My FIL hauled bicycles on the back of their TT, while traveling cars were passing waving, he told the wife "boy folks here are friendly", once stopped the bikes had bounced off the rack & drug the front wheel of one bike & the rear of the down to the hub on both, but folks were sure friendly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:00 AM   #17
Maineiacs

We were flagged down when we were taking our 5th wheel through Harrisburg, PA. Seems the rear wheel on the drivers side broke loose and we never felt a thing. Pulled over, waiting for assistance and about 15 minutes later someone dropped off the wheel! Far as I know the 5er is still sitting in CW in Harrisburg some 4 years later.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:25 PM   #18
Garfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If the flashers work then the brake lights and turn signals work.
The flashers and turn signals work on different electrical systems. Your flashers and brake lights work when the key is off.
They need to be checked independently.
Garfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:07 PM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfman View Post
The flashers and turn signals work on different electrical systems. Your flashers and brake lights work when the key is off.
They need to be checked independently.
On a 7 way plug you have one wire for left turn/brake and one wire for the right turn/ brake. So if the turn signal, or brake light or 4 way flashers are employed those 2 wires carry the signal to the fixture. So indepenenty testing the functions is redundent.