Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
reubenray

3/4 Ton Payload Capacities??

As we get ready for our third trip we have been thinking about future trips and possible upgrading. I am retired and my wife will be retiring in 5 years or less. So I want to start looking for a bigger fifth wheel and of course a bigger TV. I really do not want to go larger than a 3/4 ton and do not want a diesel. We will not be fulltiming, but may be gone for weeks if not a month at a time.

As a starting point in my research (which is half the fun) what amount of payload capacities can I be looking at? It will always just be the two of us. Also I am not locked into a particular brand, but I would like an extended cab if possible.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Htfiremedic

How big a fifth wheel do you want? That is a major factor.
Any particular reason for not wanting a diesel? I have owned both, I love the diesel for towing, as it makes life easier.
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
reubenray

I would like to keep it around 35' with double slides in the L/R-Kitchen area.

Years ago I was issued a company truck that was a diesel. I hated every thing about it. If I understand correctly don't the gas models have more payload capacities than the diesel due to the extra weight of the diesel engines.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
davidjsimons

On a 2012 Ram 2500, there is about a fifty pound difference in payload. I believe I would "sacrifice" that fifty pounds for the pulling performance of the diesel, regardless of the brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Htfiremedic

Agreed with that. Newer diesels are far more advanced than the older ones. My 2003 is much better than my 1985.
I would try various rigs in both formats prior to deciding which is best.
I have driven Ford, Chevy and Dodge over the last several years. I have also had the opportunity to watch an E450 gas motor die after 45,000 miles of use. The warranty was gone due to a recital app and it got ugly.
Some of our diesel motors have over 350k miles. They still plug along!
Research the setups and that will go a long way.
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
reubenray

Most of my trips will be in the SE corner of the country and mostly flat areas. We may venture into the Smoky Mountains areas some.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
davidjsimons

I have to second the durability of the diesel in towing applications. I have 655,000 miles on my 1990 Dodge and would not hesitate to pull my TT across the country. Hills or no hills, you are not going to get that kind of mileage out of a gas engine when towing with any kind of regularity.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
davidjsimons

Ultimately, get what you are happy with, that will make more difference than any other factor.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Ken / Claudia

I have acouple of points regarding your questions.
1 ton and 3/4 ton trucks are diffrent only in some options but, mostly the difference is 8 ply tires vs 10 ply and the rear springs. If you buy a 3/4 and need more truck making it a 1 ton is easy. With 3/4 you may want air bags but, 1 ton you may not etc...
I would not get a gasser for pulling a heavy load. BUT, I will say that I drove gassers at work pulling 4500 lb and 8000lb boats, sometimes in a big hurry with lights and sirens on. Last truck was a crew cab F250 2008 it had the V-10 engine. It did not lack power as other gassers I had. It got 6 miles per gal, 8 to 9 when not pullling. Better that the old 460 ford that got 5. My F350 gets 10 to 12 with truck camper and boat, 15 to 17 not pulling.
Several years ago I asked a ford dealer about sales of the gas F250-350s for Rvers and he said they sell about 1 per 100 diesels. I have no proof of what he said is true or not.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

If. You want to see the difference in durability of gas vs diesel I recommend looking at used class c and A's. The vast majority of gassers with 50K on the odometer will list "motor rebuilt or new motor". The diesel's will have several hundred thousand miles before you will see that.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Outbackmel

Diesel vs gas return value at resale

I have a 2008, 2500 Dodge, 6.7 turbo diesel. (Quad Cab, short bed). Added the "Roll Lock" slider cover which when not needed for towing, provides excellent protection and security for "stuff", like golf clubs and RV spare. I took my spare off and traded the weight for a 2 bicycle carrier, with wheel support baskets. Third bike I secure to the rear ladder with a single bike carrier.

I am stating this from real experience, not a pipe dream. Over the last 40 years, I was responsible for selling repos and off lease vehicles for 3 major corporations that are in the top 5 in the US for vehicle financing. I had teams of sales experts and literally sold many thousands personally on the auction blocks of America.

Diesel, kills gas in 95% of cases. The only time it does not is an abused vehicle. "Abused" can represent hard to detect flood vehicles. That may be important if you decide to sell. Look on line and try to "buy" a late model low mileage diesel 2500 series or 3500. Brand really is preference. You better know the vehicle history. Plenty of "little ole lady driver" stories out there.

Plenty of towing info out here on "gas" (6-7) vs (10-12) diesel. Do the math, about the same.

Get out Consumer Reports and similar publications; review model past recall notices and ensure vehicle safety was repaired and not compromised and on and on. Do title tracking since new. Look for where it may have been AND WHEN, like LA before Katrina, now eastern New York. CARFAX is a good start, BUT, it is not infallable. There is plenty of "crap" for sale out there. It's your job to sort through it unless you step up and buy new with a factory backed warranty. Good Luck!
That's my opinion.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
reubenray

It appears that this thread has turned into a diesel vs gas thread.

I am trying to get some rough payload estimates for 3/4 ton trucks not what type of engine to get. This will give me an idea of what particular fifth wheels will work whether the truck has a diesel or gas engine. I have gone to the big three websites and looked at their capacities, but I do not trust those number.

I understand that everyone's truck has a sticker stating their payload cap and what will need to be deducted from this. This to me is the best weigh to see what particular truck can pack how much.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
davidjsimons

I believe my original point was that there was only about a 50 lbs difference in payload in favor of the gas, but there is about a 1200 lbs difference in towing capacity in favor of the diesel. With these differences in mind, coupled with the service durability of the diesel, I would seriously give it a thought. I'm sure you know what best fits your needs and will choose wisely.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
Paddler

These are not actual numbers just a general guide. 3/4 ton trucks will have payload in the range of 2300 - 3000 lbs. Depending on body style, regular cab/crew cab... One Ton SRW would be in the range of 2600-3500 lbs and One Ton DRW would be in the range of 3500 - 5000 lbs.

From my experience, my Monty's, 2180 lbs empty pin weight, 2650 loaded was way to much for my 2007 2500 GMC Sierra Crew Cab DMax. Its payload, from the driver's side door was 2600 lbs.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
reubenray

Below is the caps for the GMC 2500HD trucks. This shows a max payload of 3506 for the gas engine. I checked my neighbors a while back and his was only 2??? something. This is why I don't want to go by the manufacturers numbers.

http://www.gmc.com/sierra-2500hd-pic...ndard_box.html
Old 11-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
reubenray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
These are not actual numbers just a general guide. 3/4 ton trucks will have payload in the range of 2300 - 3000 lbs. Depending on body style, regular cab/crew cab... One Ton SRW would be in the range of 2600-3500 lbs and One Ton DRW would be in the range of 3500 - 5000 lbs.

From my experience, my Monty's, 2180 lbs empty pin weight, 2650 loaded was way to much for my 2007 2500 GMC Sierra Crew Cab DMax. Its payload, from the driver's side door was 2600 lbs.
Thanks - this is the info that I am looking for. I figured I would most likely look in the dry weight range of 10000 lbs.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
It appears that this thread has turned into a diesel vs gas thread.

I am trying to get some rough payload estimates for 3/4 ton trucks not what type of engine to get.
Thanks for reminding us about what you are looking for: no diesel, not brand specific, extended cab and preferably a 3/4 T. That leaves us with a gas tow vehicle - either Ford, GMC or Dodge and either a 3/4T or 1T and some information on payloads of vehicles matching his criteria to help him sort through his options.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
davidjsimons

No larger than a 3/4 I believe he said.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
Festus2
Site Team

David -
You heard right. He did say no larger than 3/4T. I stand corrected - again.

Obviously, you can see that I'm having a bad day.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #20
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
As we get ready for our third trip we have been thinking about future trips and possible upgrading. I am retired and my wife will be retiring in 5 years or less. So I want to start looking for a bigger fifth wheel and of course a bigger TV. I really do not want to go larger than a 3/4 ton and do not want a diesel. We will not be fulltiming, but may be gone for weeks if not a month at a time.

As a starting point in my research (which is half the fun) what amount of payload capacities can I be looking at? It will always just be the two of us. Also I am not locked into a particular brand, but I would like an extended cab if possible.
I am not going to try and talk you into a diesel engine vehicle, but I will offer some reading material for you to review.

One is Trailer Life Towing Guide, this you can find on the internet and list all of the towing weights for most vehicles on the market from vans to jeeps and trucks. This is one area to start with; the other is the Dodge Body Builders Guide this too is on the internet for your review.

I have attached both links for your use.

http://dcd96xmek71bc.cloudfront.net/...ide_lo_res.pdf

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/m...ersguide.phtml

Now one item to remember when filling your gas engine truck in the gas island with your 30 to 35ft 5er attached is: How Am I GOING TOGET THIS OUT OF HERE WITHOUT UN-HOOKING?

BEEN THERE DONE IT.

I now drive a diesel because I did not want to divorce my wife over me language with the IDIOTS who pull up behind you and box you in at the pumps.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote