Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
Quiroule

Gray water leak and odors

We had a gray water tank leak, the water accumulated between the coroplast and the bobbles insulation sheet leaving a bad odor.

I plan to completely remove the coroplast to wash it clean on both sides. While I have it removed, I will probably do the following:

1. Add ½ inches plywood under all tanks for support. The technician who fixed my leakage said that the leak was probably due to a lack of support.
2. Fixe all the electrical wires so that they don’t move around and get caught somewhere.
3. Add polystyrene board insolation and probably throw away the bobbles insolation.

Now here are my questions:
1. Is ½ inches thick enough to support the tanks.
2. Do-you thing that the polystyrene boards will stay in place if fixed only with glue to the underside of the floor

Thanks

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Quiroule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quiroule -
If you plan on using plywood, I would suggest using a marine-grade "waterproof" type of plywood rather than unprotected, plain wood. Is it possible to use a support other than wood such as adding additional and wider metal strapping?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Murray0512

Where is tank leaking at ? I agree to marine plywood think I would use a little thicker than 1/2 inch if there is room.also would use some metal braces if possible
Murray0512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Your roof is only 3/8" and you can walk on it. Definitely marine grade or pressure treated , but I think ½" will add more weight then is needed. A good exterior construction adhesive will hold the foam board just fine ... metal type duct tape will hold it until adhesive cures and will also cover seams. You have some project ahead of you .... good luck, Hank

Take pics along the way and share.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
therink

I plan on doing the same thing some day. Please post pics.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Quiroule

One more question: There is some foam sticking out where the elements come through the coroplast. Is that foam the same as what is used to insulate around windows and doors?.

2018 Ford F150 XLT

Your children and grand-children will not remember what you did for them, they will remember what you did WITH THEM.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiroule View Post
One more question: There is some foam sticking out where the elements come through the coroplast. Is that foam the same as what is used to insulate around windows and doors?.
The foam used around windows and doors is minimally expanding foam so as not to bind them. Expandable foam is used for holes where there is room to expand like holes in Chloroplast or around plumbing or electrical entry points. Both can be found at "Home" and hardware stores.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
Quiroule

It is done, well almost. Sorry but I have only a few pictures, in my race again rain and nightfall I forgot.

I have completed part of what I wanted to do, no insulation was added as with 4 tanks and all the heating duck it would have been full of holes. I plan to have it sprayed with foam next year. The RV maintenance shop has added metal thank supports when they fixed the leak.

I removed the coroplast and discovered what I expected, decayed water between the coroplast and the insulation foil. The insulation foil was completely soaked with water and I got rid of it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img405/8670/waterq.jpg

While fixing the dangling electrical wires, I found a 110 V wire rubbing again the sharp edge of an aluminum piece. Added a piece of tubing.

http://imageshack.us/a/img802/1651/underw.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img228/276/electricy.jpg

It is quite a job to remove and reinstall the coroplast. I had to drop the rear legs as the coroplast was sandwiched under. The RV shop had cut it to half the width, screwed a ½ inches plywood to the cross frame, screwed the both side of the cut to it and taped the gap. I completed the cut and did the same.

Now I am resting my bones.

2018 Ford F150 XLT