Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Pomkai

Best Affordable Insurance

Could anyone advise me on what you think the best affordable insurance company is? What do you carry and why? Thanks so much!
Pomkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Pomkai -
Are you referring to Emergency Road Service insurance or motor vehicle/RV damage and liability insurance? I can give you some comments about Good Sam ERS insurance if you like but not for the other type.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
azlee56

I just got mine covered with my auto insurance policy with a promise it would be covered in my back yard if a tree fell on it. Ok, I don't have a tree but they had to promise me that. Low rates too.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
Pomkai

Looking for full coverage I think? Not sure yet what to get.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
azlee56

Insurance

Talk to your auto insurance company. My homeowners insurance also told me I could get a rider. Good Sams might have that stuff too, come to think of it.

ps. I don't have replacement insurance however, but they will pay to what amount they put it at. Our insurance on the truck covers it when we are pulling it, but I wanted separate insurance when it wasn't hooked up. (the bank wanted it too).
Old 07-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Pomkai -
If you go to the Good Sam website, you will be able to find out about their Emergency Road Service plan. It may not be the "cheapest" but it does offer quite extensive roadside coverage on not only your RV but all other vehicles and trailers that you own as well. (www.GoodSamERS.com) or (www.GoodSam.com)
When you say "looking for full coverage", I assume you mean BOTH emergency road service AND automobile liability and physical damage. Sorry, but I can't help you out with the latter or any firms that offer both.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlee56 View Post
ps. I don't have replacement insurance however, but they will pay to what amount they put it at. Our insurance on the truck covers it when we are pulling it, but I wanted separate insurance when it wasn't hooked up. (the bank wanted it too).
probably best bet is a policy from your auto insurance company for the trailer. The higher the deductible the lower the cost. We have state farm, trailer liability is covered when towing or hooked to the truck. That's is with the truck coverage.

Trailer policy covers liability when unhooked as well as collision and other damage.

Note that your TV policy and/or homeowners policy may not give you coverage for liability when the trailer is unhooked at campgrounds etc. Your insurance agent call tell you what is covered under your TV and homeowners policies.

With a $2000 deductible, my trailer coverage is $98/year with state farm. That's liability, property damage, collision, and road service

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
azlee56

I have full glass too. Does that really mean all the windows in the RV?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
geo

Pomkai -

If you do a little research, you will find that there are quite a few differences between auto/truck insurance and RV insurance. Different needs for different vehicles. And different needs for different uses of the RV. Now, I am not addressing the Emergency Road Service insurance in this case.

There are several "specialized" RV insurance carriers "out there". Probably the most seen and used are Progressive, Geico, and Good Sam. Within each of their policies, there are items which can be covered or not covered. One can also add the RV on their auto/truck insurance, but one does need to be aware of the limits.

When we purchased our fifth wheel, I looked at all this insurance stuff. As a decades-long customer of State Farm, I inquired about their coverage. However, to cover our Alpine, we decided to use Progressive. The reasons? Discounts for "days in storage", cost, some pet coverage, living expenses during repairs on the road, other benefits. Also, in a couple of years, we plan to full time, and there is a separate Progressive rider for covering full-timers that we preferred over Geico, Good Sam, etc.

Everyone has different needs, so I would encourage you to look at the companies and find what fits best.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
antiqfreq

We have our policy with National RV out of Ohio. They offer slide toppers coverage, and awning coverage and all windows also. We got replacement coverage for the value of the RV at the time of purchase, non-diminishing. We wanted this because the RV's devalue so much rapidly. We also know that what I paid for it new in 2008 is less than it would be to buy one now, but that is our full reimbursement towards a new RV. (They don't make our model anymore)

As far as emergency road service, I have Good Sam ERS, and have had it since 2004 when we got our first hybrid trailer. It covers ALL home vehicles also. It covers the tow vehicle AND the RV. Once in the GA mountains we blew the transmission going up a mountain. They sent a flatbed for our TV and a big tow truck for the fiver. Towed it right to the campground for us and took the TV to the transmission shop of our choice.

I have also broken down in my family vehicle 3 times since getting the coverage and they always came quickly to my rescue.

I can't say enough about them.

Make sure your auto insurance coverage gives you all the towing benefits you need as sometimes they don't - get it in writing.

Good luck,

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
Pomkai

Wow! That is a lot of useful info! Thank you! I have a lot of work to do in the next couple of days!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
probably best bet is a policy from your auto insurance company for the trailer. The higher the deductible the lower the cost. We have state farm, trailer liability is covered when towing or hooked to the truck. That's is with the truck coverage.

Trailer policy covers liability when unhooked as well as collision and other damage.

Note that your TV policy and/or homeowners policy may not give you coverage for liability when the trailer is unhooked at campgrounds etc. Your insurance agent call tell you what is covered under your TV and homeowners policies.

With a $2000 deductible, my trailer coverage is $98/year with state farm. That's liability, property damage, collision, and road service
We have State Farm also. $149/year and a $250 deductible with full coverage. Many factors fir insurance. Credit history, location, age just to name a few.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote