Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #21
volvosweetie

There is a product called aerospace 303 that has a uv protectant. I think some one on this forum recommended it for awnings you can google it. It works on the vynil awnings and I think that they make one for fabric too. I have not tried it but they say you can even use it on your ac shroud and the vent covers to help keep them from dry rotting, also they said even the side walls of your tires.
That is according to their web site.

Ab & Pam
2006 Thor Grand Junction
2000 Ford F-450 dually Crew Cab
7.3 Diesel
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #22
azlee56

Quote:
Originally Posted by david201207 View Post
Sure enough,PVC can't stand the high temperature.It can be crumbled at 158 degree.And it will transform from solid to liquid at 176 above.

Wow! At first I was wondering how they can use if for plumbing but I guess a person wouldn't have your hot water that high either. I learned something new today. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #23
richf28

Thanks for the info Volvosweetie. I see Napa handles it. I'm going to the local store today and see if they have any.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #24
volvosweetie

Your welcome, I hope to get some to try on our side wall of our tires, it says it is dust repellant, We will see. oh and to the forum.

Ab & Pam
2006 Thor Grand Junction
2000 Ford F-450 dually Crew Cab
7.3 Diesel
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
TDF5G

I have an 18' awning on my Cougar. I got my idea from seeing the Awning Pro video on their website last fall.

2 weeks ago I went to Lowes and bought 2 10' lengths of 4" thin wall sewer pipe. I split it lengthwise using a Skilsaw with a fine tooth blade installed backwards (it makes a smoother cut) and also cut off the bell ends. I laid it on the garage floor and kept it from rolling around with some 70lb sand bags. It was difficult to cut it exactly straight, if I were to do it again I would cut it in 5' lengths first so it would be easier to handle. It wanted to roll from the vibration of the saw. I would also do it outside instead of in the garage, the plastic dust makes a mess.

After splitting it lengthwise, the pipe wants to curl in on itself overlapping where the cut was made about and 1 1/2" or so. So I just cut off the overlapping part using the original cut as a guide. This left a gap of about 1/2" or so similar to the Awning Pro stuff.

It was too hard to handle and slip on the awning as a 10' length so I cut them down into 5' sections as seen in the video (I think the Awning Pro stuff might be in 4' sections maybe). Then it slipped on great, overlapping each section a few inches, I pushed each end against the awning arms, hoping this may keep water from getting inside the rolled up portion of the awning.
With it installed on my camper it looks just like it does in the video. I should have done this last fall when I first got the idea.

I live in the Midwest and don't travel too far from home, so I think it will hold up under the sun here. And considerable savings over the Awning Pro stuff.

If I had seen the photos of the vinyl gutter I would probably have considered doing that instead possibly, looks like it might be easy to install on a shorter awning than mine though. Just saw that today.

I owned my last camper 12 years, stored outdoors. The awning started to rot through along the mounting rail after about 9-10 years, and kept getting worse of course. It got to where you needed an umbrella even if you were under the awning. I patched it with duct tape on one trip, the tape blew off on the way home but it worked for the weekend.
TDF5G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #26
Andymon

I'm going to make the same thing. I had a small length of gutter and used it to test fit and it's perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
Check this mod out. Plastic gutter to accomplish the same thing and much cheaper.

http://forums.trailerlife.com/Index....d/26107826.cfm

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote