Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #41
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocData757 View Post
Ok... making some progress. My rims have...

MAX LOAD
3580 LBS

...cast into the metal on the backside of one of the spokes.

So, if I am understanding all this, I should be able to change to 614's on my existing rims, inflate to 95# for LRF and get the proper foot print and load capacity.

Yes?
Dave -

I guess I'll go out on the limb here . . . If that the weight, etc., then I would say "Yes". What I will say is that I am pleased with my own decision to get G614s. Let's see if anyone else chimes in. Even Hank has been quiet!

Oh, do check the clearance between the tires and those shock brackets. The G614 have a slightly wider profile.
Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #42
DocData757

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Dave -

Oh, do check the clearance between the tires and those shock brackets. The G614 have a slightly wider profile.
Ron
I've got about an 1" to 1.25" clearance.

Do you know what the speed rating is for the 614's?

Thanks,
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #43
geo

Quote:
I've got about an 1" to 1.25" clearance.

Do you know what the speed rating is for the 614's?

Thanks,
I believe it is 65 mph. I usually set the cruise control right above
60 so I can claim "I'm only doin' a 100!" (100 kph).

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 07-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #44
DocData757

Did some more searching and found this...
http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/tru...rodline=160007

75mph
Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #45
1stgmc

I guess the question is will the rims (3580 lbs) handle the 110 psi air pressure safely? And if not at what pressure can they handle?
1stgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #46
DocData757

Yes, that would be good to know but since I don't need to go that high, I just need to be sure it will handle 95 psi (which will give me the max load capacity I need for my rig).
Old 07-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #47
1stgmc

I agree Also would Goodyears tire inflation chart work with most "G" rated tires ?
1stgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #48
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgmc View Post
I agree Also would Goodyears tire inflation chart work with most "G" rated tires ?
1stgmc -

That is a very good question. I do not know an answer. Maybe CWtheman will see this post and give his thoughts. But as a guess, I would say "no". The reason for this negative is it is easy to directly observe that different tire manufacturers construct their tires to different standards. For example, there have been references made to just the weight of a tire - Power King TowMax versus Maxxis for example. The Maxxis tire weighs 10+ pounds more than a TowMax. Other factors could be type of material in the ply, sidewall plys and material type, etc. Actually, CWtheman does address part of this question in his blog - that a few tires are rated for different inflation pressures and load ranges.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #49
CWtheMan

Quote:
Yes, that would be good to know but since I don't need to go that high, I just need to be sure it will handle 95 psi (which will give me the max load capacity I need for my rig).
OK, let me help this along a little with some facts. Nobody in the retail tire industry likes the prospect of having to do the LT to ST or ST to LT thing because it’s so hard to do correctly. Correctly also flabbergasts prospective buyers and speculators. The disparity between tire pressure and load capacity of two tires of the same size - see example - will almost always cause the ST to LT buyer to also purchase new rims. And as you have already found out, 96 psi (you need the extra 1 psi to be greater than the OE tire’s load capacity) will become your new recommended tire pressure for the G614s and you need to make a notation of the new pressure and the tire size it is assonated with in your owner’s manual because it is the standard for that trailer. Adjusting tire pressers upward from that figure for load balancing or excess axle end weights etc. can be increased from your new standard but not decreased no matter what the GAW is. Everything can go up from the recommended tire pressure but not down - exceptions withstanding.

Like all large industrial originations driven by government regulations things will just keep moving on. Some times they will bite you in the pocketbook.

Hypothetical: Your tire installer is certified and qualified. His supervisor assigns him the task of installing a new set of tires on your existing rims and provides the installer with the new set of tires. After inspecting the materials/equipment he is going to be working with, the installer returns to his supervisor to report the owners rims are stamped with a 3042# load capacity and even though they qualify for the 80 psi he cannot install tires with a load capacity of 3520# on them. The supervisor is in the vice. OSHA does not allow him to put his installer in peril - see the reference.

Using the right materials and equipment for the job at hand is paramount to the safety of all. Yep, I dabbled a bit in civilian industrial management.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=20708

Example:

LT235/85R16E has a standard load capacity of 3042# at 80 psi.
ST235/85R16E has a standard load capacity of 3640# at 80 psi.

CW

p.s. Here is a small bit of background information.

http://militaryaircraft-by-fasteagle...1/06/f4-b.html
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #50
DocData757

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
ST235/85R16E has a standard load capacity of 3640# at 80 psi.
[/URL]
So who makes a reliable ST23585R6E with a capacity of 3640#?
Old 07-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #51
smiller

The only reliable ST tire (judging by lack of reports of problems, I don't think I've ever seen a report of a blowout) seems to be the 10-ply (E-range) Maxxis. All the other options (either off-brand or the more well-known such as the Carlisle or Marathon) seem to have an unacceptably high failure rate.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #52
DocData757

I learned from Tredit today that the rims on my Alpine (T03) are rated at only 80psi so it will either be stay with the Towmax, go to Maxxis or replace rims and tires. Probably going with the Maxxis when I do it but that's a ways off. I want new tires on my rig when I go to Alaska and that is 2 summers off.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #53
chivas

OK, since I replaced my Towmax, after the blowout, with Maxxis everything is going great. I have 2 short trips with them and also installed a Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) on the tires. The TPM is awesome. I can tell what is going on with the tire at anytime. I love it. The tires pull good also.

After I bought the Maxxis, I was concerned I was just replacing with more junk and should have spent the extra money to get heavy duty rims and tires but I am happy with what I got.
chivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #54
CWtheMan

OK, I give-up. I use this reference often. It surely is more relevant in this forum than any other.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/man...e%20Safety.pdf

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #55
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
OK, I give-up. I use this reference often. It surely is more relevant in this forum than any other.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/manual/Chapter%2010%20-%20Tire%20Safety.pdf

CW
CW -
I agree. There is a reason the manufacturer, Keystone in this case, places a tag/sticker stating the Recommended Tire Pressure based on the Vehicle Ratings. This pressure has nothing to do with the Maximum Air Pressure cast into the sidewall of the tire. Seems like the confusing point is Maximum versus Recommended. I agree with you, probably should use what Keystone Recommends, no matter what the Maximum is on the sidewall. If the tire is rated for different Load Ranges, then use the Load Range that matches the vehicle. As Recommended. Otherwise, get a tire with the proper Load Range. What the Maximum Pressure rating is on the tire or on the rim doesn't matter - use the Recommended values the Manufacturer gives. Even if you want to over-design and waste some money, bottom line is to go with the Sticker Recommended Values.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
Old 07-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #56
smiller

A tire will run cooler at higher pressures and as long as tread wear is even I don't see why one would run them at a lower value. Interestingly the maximum capacity of the four ST235/80-16E tires on my unit is 30% above the max. gross weight, yet Keystone still says to run them at max. pressure (80 psi.) So in my case I guess I get to do what I want and follow manufacturer's recommendations at the same time.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #57
LittleJoe

Agree with S.Miller

Funny how Keystone recommends balancing tires, yet they do not come balanced from the factory. Balancing will go a long way to preserve your trailer and tire life.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote