Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
MIKEPATC

Technology is not always good .

Just a warning that exact replacements are not always exact.
I thought that the wireless RV Locks from www.rvlocks.com would be a great addition to my trailer. I made the mistake of ordering two at considerable expense.

Replacing the door locks on a travel trailer is pretty straightforward.
Their operation was not. Closing the door turned into a two handed operation just to get it to latch.
Wireless locking was intermittent at best. The trailer door even flew open while parking the trailer in my yard. This was a problem on both doors!

RVLOCK.com adequately explained how my trailer doors were not constructed properly. While their locks may be built to the same specifications as a manual lock, the bottom line is they were not compatible with my trailer.

I took out the wireless locks, re-installed the original locks and the doors shut and latch just fine with an easy one handed push. I will stay with keys.

The kicker is that RV Locks will not stand by their product. When it came down to it, returning the product was not an option, even though they said they would take them back in early communications.

For me the loss is in excess of $500. Hopefully, I can find someone with an RV where these will work just fine and make them a good deal to minimize my loss.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEPATC View Post
For me the loss is in excess of $500.
OUCH! Not much to be said for "RV" locks.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

Wow must be politicians whole lotta talk and not much action sorry about that
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
jbsmith

My experience with RVlock.com has been quite different. I found their customer service to be fantastic. Ultimately, it is up to the consumer to determine whether a product will work for their particular application. The RVlock.com website provides very simple information that allows you to determine whether the lock will work...essentially it only claims to replace the stock FIC (PN# 43610) lock assembly.

I think the lock is **WAY** over priced, but I really wanted the option for keyless entry. I replaced the factory lock assembly that came on my 2012 Cougar 331MKS with the keyless lock. I had some difficulty with getting the lock to latch until I realized that it had to be very precisely installed, the latch plate properly adjusted, and the striker lightly lubricated. It was a PITA to get properly installed, but I don't fault RVLock for those issues.

From my experience:

If you over tighten the lock assembly you will likely damage your door and cause the lock to bind. You also have to ensure that all of the screws are tightened such that the two halves of the lock assembly are square to the door and square to the latch plate. If improperly tightened, this will also result in binding of the lock assembly. I learned this the hard way and it took a lot of trial and error.

I also had to cut several pieces of wood to insert into the foam core door. The factory lock was tightened to the point that it compressed the foam and distorted the aluminum skin on the door. This made it difficult to properly tighten the lock, without over tightening to the point that it caused the latch/lock assembly to jam. The wood blocks were cut so that when I tightened the lock, it didn't compress the door and provided a more solid bearing surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0438.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1437  

2012 Keystone Cougar 331MKS
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L DRW
B&W Companion
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
Ruffus

Lightbulb Locks

Hey Mike
If they won't honor there return policy but will take them back without a refund then send them back and contest it on your credit card. I've had to do that more than once. It pisses them off because they get charged another fee when you do that but at least you get your money back.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote