Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Halibutman214

Slide Out Issues - Will Keystone's Warranty Come Through?

I took the rig in this morning for what I thought was going to simply be an adjustment to my slideout but it turned out to be far more. As I noted in my, "first trip review", as well as a post right after I took delivery the slideout sort of sticks in a few places. The sales person told me at the PDI that it was because the seal strips were new. After close inspection this morning we found that a metal strip that runs from top to bottom on the slideout had not been trimmed off which resulted in it hooking on the strip that the slideout rides on. This in turn caused the slide to ride up which knocked the rollers on each side of the slide out of adjustment. Because the rollers were knocked out of adjustment they started riding on a piece they were not supposed to ride on and now they look like my 9 month old labs chew toy. All of this is probably way more than you would ever want to know so to sum it up, every moving part of the slide is messed up. Then came the scary part, the service manager took pics of everything and said, "we need to get approval from Keystone to make these repairs". So now I get to see what kind of customer service Keystone will provide me. I did send them an e-mail when I got home informing them of the situation and requesting I be kept in the loop as things happen. All I can say is if my Alaska trip is delayed in any way because they are not doing what they should do I will NOT be happy.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Ouch!! You certainly didn't need all of this prior to your trip to Alaska. Hopefully, Keystone will come through for you and approve the repairs in time so you can get on with your planned trip on schedule.
Did you, by any chance, make a note of what the dealership told you about the strips during your PDI? The salesman's "not to worry" answer has turned into a large problem for you and it might be to your advantage if it had been documented when you did the PDI.
On another related note, did you send Keystone your initial review of your Passport that you wrote up earlier and; if so, did you ever get a response from them?

I hope this turns out well for you and your family. Keep us informed how this progresses. Thanks.

( I have moved this thread to the RV Service and Warranty segment --- it seems like it belongs here)
Old 06-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Englishman

Good luck with the repair. Keystone autherized the replacment of the whole front panel on our bullet with in a week of getting the request from the deal.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Ouch!! You certainly didn't need all of this prior to your trip to Alaska. Hopefully, Keystone will come through for you and approve the repairs in time so you can get on with your planned trip on schedule.
Did you, by any chance, make a note of what the dealership told you about the strips during your PDI? The salesman's "not to worry" answer has turned into a large problem for you and it might be to your advantage if it had been documented when you did the PDI.
On another related note, did you send Keystone your initial review of your Passport that you wrote up earlier and; if so, did you ever get a response from them?

I hope this turns out well for you and your family. Keep us informed how this progresses. Thanks.

( I have moved this thread to the RV Service and Warranty segment --- it seems like it belongs here)
The only thing I did was call Keystone and describe the problem. They said it was normal for the motor that runs the slide to slow down and speed up but I could not pin them down to a direct answer about how the slide was acting. Since I've only had the trailer a very short time I decided to wait and see if things got better.
Now on to day 2. Got a call from Keystone rep at 0800 this morning informing me they have yet to recieve the prior authorization request. He assured me had they gotten it, he saw no reason why it would not be approved. Called the dealer. The person that handles PA's totally dropped the ball and as far as I'm concerned so the the Service Mgr for not following up. E-mailed Keystone customer service detailing results of call.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Halibutman214

Day 3

Yesterday afternoon recieved a phone call from Keystone Customer Service that they did get the PA request. At 4:10 PST today got a call from the Dealer (Curtis trailers in Aloha) that the trailer was done and ready to be picked up, WHAT! So they ground the areas off that was causing the problem in the first place and called it fixed. The Service Manager said this is what the Warranty Administrator and Keystone decided and it was out of her hands. It was felt the teflon slide with the big cuts in it was okay as was the side rollers that looked like my dog chewed on. She said that all these three things did was "guide" the slide and since they were still guiding it needn't be replaced. This aside from the fact the technician that showed me the problems told me the side rollers had been knocked out of alignment and were not riding where they were supposed to be, which I could clearly see. He also said the only way to adjust them would be to remove the slide which I could also see.
I just don't get it! Why do they try and pull stuff like this. If they somehow think I'm in a hurry and will take it back like it is they better think again. I have NEVER had a good experience with an RV warranty. THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT HOWEVER THEY WANT TO DO IT OR IN THIS CASE DO PRETTY MUCH NOTHING!
Old 06-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
jsmith948

Wow - what a bummer! I know that I would be just as upset and disappointed as you but maybe you could turn this into a positive. This is easier for me to suggest than it is for you to do - but, you could approach the dealer like this: "I really appreciate you jumping right on this and getting the approval for these [U]temporary[U] repairs that will enable me to take my trip to Alaska as scheduled without further damaging my RV. However, when I return from Alaska I would like you to complete the repairs and bring my RV up to the condition it was in before the damage was done. After all, it was a member of your sales staff that assured me there was nothing wrong with the slider."
I know, I know - but the key term here is negotiate

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
Halibutman214

Day 6

Left messages at Keystone Customer service and the Dealer this morning requesting they call. On Friday the Service Manager said she would contact the Warranty Administrator and have them call to clarify the rational of why they think it's fixed. . As of writing this I have not got a call back from either.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #8
Halibutman214

Day 8

Talked to customer service and the dealer Warranty Administrator yesterday afternoon. I'm going in this morning to see what they did but I know what they didn't do and that was replace the slide or rollers. Will keep you posted.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
Halibutman214

Brought it home

Went to the dealer yesterday to see exactly what they did to fix the slide problem. I requested someone show me what they ground off and what they had replaced. To my dismay the service manager said he was not familiar with what had been done so could not show me and did not seem at all interested in finding someone who could. After a little back and forth I gave up, took the key and brought it home. On a positive note I ran the slide and it worked really smooth. I am still concerned about the rollers that keep the slide centered fore and aft as the bottom inch of them are almost completely chewed off. This is the critical part of the roller as it rides on a rail. With this part of the rollers gone it allows the rollers to ride on the sides of the slide where it should not be riding. I'm not done with this but will make my Alaska trip and deal with it when I get back. I still really like this Passport but I would never buy from this dealer again.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:18 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

WELL Good luck and be safe on your trip to Alaska it sure is beautifull there.been there several times and even worked the iditarod!! but never went with a camper.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Halibutman214

Thanks and we hope to have a SUPER trip. I've flown to Kodiak many times but as for the rest of Alaska have never been further than the street outside the Achorage airport. Much to explore and lots of fish to catch.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
Festus2
Site Team

The slide appears to be moving smoothly in and out and hopefully it will function that way throughout your trip. I'm sure you will be paying close attention to it along the way. It seems like your dealer just lost a future customer. I am wondering just how much time and effort it would have taken on the service manager's part to show some interest in your questions and concerns?
Anyway, put this behind you and have an enjoyable and trouble-free trip north. Stop for a while in beautiful BC along the way. Bring warmth and sunshine - there is none here yet.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #13
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
The slide appears to be moving smoothly in and out and hopefully it will function that way throughout your trip. I'm sure you will be paying close attention to it along the way. It seems like your dealer just lost a future customer. I am wondering just how much time and effort it would have taken on the service manager's part to show some interest in your questions and concerns?
Anyway, put this behind you and have an enjoyable and trouble-free trip north. Stop for a while in beautiful BC along the way. Bring warmth and sunshine - there is none here yet.
Spent 2 weeks in Hedley last year visiting some good friends. I will say that at least the Frazier river valley was indeed beautiful.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
Festus2
Site Team

Yikes

Two weeks in Hedley!! They must be really good friends!!