Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2022, 06:39 PM   #1
wegone

Slide canopies ????

My new trailer is already prepped for a slide canopy.
The top rail and brackets already mounted on the trailer.
After reading up on them before buying, one "note" that they all said was to pull in the slide when it's raining.
Then what's the point, just leaves?

I saw a video on YouTube where they say the rain will puddle and can make it harder to get the slide back in.

HELP......

Yeah, ney, or.......????

What's the real dope on it, hope it's not a Chevy or Ford question
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:18 PM   #2
TimC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
After reading up on them before buying, one "note" that they all said was to pull in the slide when it's raining.

I saw a video on YouTube where they say the rain will puddle and can make it harder to get the slide back in.

HELP......

Yeah, ney, or.......????

I have a slide awning and don’t pull it in for rain. A little bit of water pools on it but doesn’t seem to be much. Maybe it’ll be a bigger issue when it’s older and maybe stretches more… not sure. But, no issues pulling the slide in after or during rain. The water just runs off as the awning rolls up.

TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:43 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Slide toppers are a personal preference kind of thing. Some see them as providing great benefits others not so much.

I never had toppers until this trailer and specified them. After this much time I'm still torn as to their worth. I don't have to get up and clean the slides every time I break down but I can't clean and treat the top seals. The wind makes them flop and rain makes them puddle and stretch. I do like not having to put up a collapsible ladder, run the blower then brush off the tops so....guess it's a toss up. I've got them so....I've got them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 04:44 AM   #4
rhagfo

We have toppers on both of the slides on our 32' 5th wheel, one being a 13' slide. The large one gets a little puddling in the rain, but the water runs off when it comes in. We have also had 11" of snow on them, no big issue. I didn't try to bring them in with the snow on them.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 04:50 AM   #5
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Slide Toppers

Our 3650RL came without slide toppers but did come with the mounting track already installed. I bought three appropriate length topper kits and installed them myself. I installed mine with enough tension in the roller spring that the rain does not make it puddle or accumulate. That little extra spring tension also helps prevent wind flapping. We have never pulled our slides in because of rain or wind. I did make sure that the spring did not bind when all the way out. Works well for us!
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 04:56 AM   #6
ChuckS

Personally I dont like slide toppers... It makes any sort of maintenance on the TPO membrane or wiper seals a pain..

I can currently change out any of the three wiper seals in less than 10 minutes.. If i had a slide topper the slide topper would have to be disconnected to get the new slide wiper seal on the top installed..

Some like em.. some don't.. To me its just one more thing that will wear out and have to replace the fabric on..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 05:05 AM   #7
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Slide Toppers To Be or Not to Be

Another benefit I found in my particular installation of slide toppers is that when it is hot summertime, it is 105 degrees, the sun is beaming down on the roof and the thin walled slide out roofs that my slide toppers create a vented "shade" for the slide out roofs thereby keeping it cooler with less heat gain from the suns direct rays to the inside. I found that alone makes it worthwhile to me plus I never have had to sweep off the slide out roofs to bring them in. I even think that the seals will last longer since they see more shade than direct sun. That is how it works for me. Your mileage may vary.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 05:42 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Personally I dont like slide toppers... It makes any sort of maintenance on the TPO membrane or wiper seals a pain..

I can currently change out any of the three wiper seals in less than 10 minutes.. If i had a slide topper the slide topper would have to be disconnected to get the new slide wiper seal on the top installed..

Some like em.. some don't.. To me its just one more thing that will wear out and have to replace the fabric on..
Well think about the fact the slide toppers , basically eliminate the need to service the slide roof or seals.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 05:43 AM   #9
gregrc75

I tend to favor having them.
My last two trailers had them and they were installed relatively horizontal with no pitch. The water would pool up on them and when you brought the slide in, the water would just run off down the slide out wall.
My current trailer I installed the topper myself with some added pitch. Not much but just enough that I never have water pool up on it.
I have noticed when I do not have a topper, the slide out is much warmer because it does shade it. It does help with cooling.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 07:45 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I have Carefree slide awning covers. All I need to do to remove them to access the slide roof is to put a nail in the hole in the aft end of the slide cover roller, remove two bolts and lift the slide roller tube out of the track. Then just lay it on the trailer roof and it's completely out of the way for any seal maintenance, cleaning or TPO membrane work that may be required. Then, just slip the roller tube back in the track, reinstall the two bolts and remove the nail.

It's not a "impossible to get to the slide roof" type issue, rather it's just an "added step" to access the slide roof.

For me, I much prefer the convenience they offer, the shade to help keep the trailer cool in direct sunlight and the ability to "shed water that stands on the slide roof and tends to run down the slide seals". Right now, we're parked under "shedding pine and oak trees. The campsite is covered with leaves and pine needles. It's been raining for several days and my slide roofs are "leaf and needle free". That alone makes them worthwhile for me, but overall, all of those "perks" make me happy that I installed slide awnings. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 07:48 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post

HELP......

Yeah, ney, or.......????

To answer your question....there's absolutely no reason to retract the slides in the rain. Perhaps what you are referencing is an awning? An awning can fill with water and damage the fabric and of arms. Two completely different things.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 02:01 PM   #12
wegone

Haha....well that settled that

Thanks for the replies, just one more question if I may, Ginger or Maryann?
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 08:02 AM   #13
Kcinatl

I like our slide topper. You don't have to worry about cleaning the top before sliding in. It does dump retained water down the side when sliding in, but it's not a big deal.

One of the downsides is that it will flutter during a windy night and be distracting while trying to sleep.
Kcinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:08 PM   #14
rlh1957

I never pull in slides and I have rollup slide toppers.
Yes some water pools during rain but it doesn’t come in or cause leaks.
You just stand clear of slide going in because water will roll off on your wife!

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:37 PM   #15
BigBobIa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
You just stand clear of slide going in because water will roll off on your wife!
DW usually brings in the slides. Sometimes, especially after rain, when I am working in the water convenience center!

Tags
slide