Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2022, 08:15 AM   #21
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC View Post
Update: After I got home from the last trip the auto level again worked flawlessly in my driveway. It seems to not like side to side leveling, which I can understand for the last place we went as the side to side wasn’t great. It wasn’t terrible either, but maybe off enough.

That said I’m now at my property where the pad is more level than my home driveway—especially from front to back. I would’ve expected zero issues here given how close to level the pad is. But, got the same issues as my last trip. Auto level wanted to raise the camper way too high and then started throwing “Excess twist” and “excess angle” issues. I was not hooked to shore power (no shore power here) but also was not on my last test at home.

I have not yet tested the voltage while operating, but I’ll try to do that. If that’s the issue it’d likely be a wiring issue that shore power wouldn’t help with. I have 1200ah of LifePo4, I seriously doubt the auto level would be causing anywhere near enough voltage drop on those batteries to cause issue. But, probably worth checking.

I think next steps are a trip to the dealer. I’ll probably take a video of it going crazy because I’m sure it’ll work flawlessly on their lot. Thanks all for the tips.
I don't know if you've tried this or not.. But the only time mine acts up like that it is because I hit auto level with the nose lower than the rear..

My solution is to always raise the nose above level slightly and then hit auto level..
Old 05-27-2022, 09:59 AM   #22
TimC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I don't know if you've tried this or not.. But the only time mine acts up like that it is because I hit auto level with the nose lower than the rear..

My solution is to always raise the nose above level slightly and then hit auto level..
That’s very interesting. I can’t say every time it’s been the case where the nose was lower, but definitely was the case this time (nose was only slightly lower) and last time. Also the camper is usually very level front to back when I test in my driveway because I always manually level front to back with the tongue jack. I rarely actually auto level in my driveway. I only do it when testing, but by that point I’ve already got it leveled front to back.

Thanks for this tip. I’ll give this some testing.

TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #23
TimC

So far so good! With only one test anyway. Ran the slide back in, auto retracted jacks, raised tongue higher, then hit auto level. No issues! I’ll continue to try this trick and see if it’s the solve.

Thanks Javi!!

Old 05-30-2022, 08:40 PM   #24
DesertLover1

BAL 7.1 auto leveling system not working

Hi, we just tried to use the auto leveling system but the only thing it would do is retract the tongue jack. The control pad was in black/white/red, not the usual blue/yellow it usually is and hitting auto or manual mode did nothing. Could this be a fuse issue...a control pad issue...or something else??? Anyone experience this?
DesertLover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:38 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLover1 View Post
Hi, we just tried to use the auto leveling system but the only thing it would do is retract the tongue jack. The control pad was in black/white/red, not the usual blue/yellow it usually is and hitting auto or manual mode did nothing. Could this be a fuse issue...a control pad issue...or something else??? Anyone experience this?
I have no idea the reference to color you made but then again I have no idea what year, make, or model trailer you have either. With that being said I'll give you a generic starting point. First thing is to check the battery voltage and state of charge. Was the camper plugged into shore power or a running truck when you tried using the system? Did you try try operating the system in an override mode?

If your battery is weak it may of had enough energy to retract the tongue jack before failing or tripping a 12v dc circuit breaker because of a high amp draw. If the voltage drops then the amperage increases per Ohms Law.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:55 AM   #26
DesertLover1

Hi, it was a running truck with a brand new battery. It's a 2017 Keystone Outback with the BAL 7.1 auto leveling system. That said, we're gonna check that circuit breaker. Thanks

2017 Keystone Outback
2006 Ford F350
Old 05-31-2022, 06:00 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Hi, it was a running truck with a brand new battery. It's a 2017 Keystone Outback with the BAL 7.1 auto leveling system. That said, we're gonna check that circuit breaker. Thanks
Just an FYI, Outback is a model line not a model number. Sort of like saying I have a Chevy truck.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:57 AM   #28
DesertLover1

Thanks again...and enjoy that Chevy truck! ;-)

2017 Keystone Outback
2006 Ford F350
Old 06-01-2022, 10:54 AM   #29
RollaMo

Quote:
Thanks again...and enjoy that Chevy truck! ;-)

And still no model number of your Outback?
Old 06-13-2022, 07:03 PM   #30
TimC

Update for everyone: I just got home from another extended weekend up at my property. This time as soon as I unhooked I raised the nose to be higher than the rear (as suggested by Javi). This time auto level worked on the first try. So far that tip seems to be the solve for me.

I do have some more questions for those of you with auto level. We have started noticing some issues with doors. The main issue is our main entry door. When we do not have the leveling jacks down we cannot get the door to latch. It just keeps popping back open. Once we level with the leveling jacks the door latches just fine.

We had a similar issue with the bathroom door this weekend, except that once we leveled the door wouldn’t latch.

Anyone else notice issues like this? I figure it probably has to do with the frame flexing some as the jacks lift the camper. But, is it something that I should be concerned with? Or just the nature of the auto level beast?

Old 06-13-2022, 08:34 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not sure what you are encountering but anytime, auto level or not, that the trailer is not level I have always had trouble with doors. If not level the main entry door always hits, scrapes and gets wonky when closing...level is the key.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:04 AM   #32
TimC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm not sure what you are encountering but anytime, auto level or not, that the trailer is not level I have always had trouble with doors. If not level the main entry door always hits, scrapes and gets wonky when closing...level is the key.
It’s definitely not just a level vs unlevel thing for me. My driveway is level side to side, so I usually just level front to back with the tongue jack when parked at home. When I do that door won’t latch. Once I use auto level and it lifts the frame a little then the door latches.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:31 AM   #33
wrvond

Quote:
<snip>

Anyone else notice issues like this? I figure it probably has to do with the frame flexing some as the jacks lift the camper. But, is it something that I should be concerned with? Or just the nature of the auto level beast?
Every travel trailer I ever had cautioned against over tightening the stabilizing jacks - warning of a tweaked frame, mis-shapened doors and other ills. I'm not sure I see a big difference between levelling jacks that twist the frame up and down or stabilizing jacks that do the same.
Perhaps the key is in the location of the stabilizer jacks versus the levelling jacks. I really don't know, but I do know that just because a manufacturer builds a camper with certain equipment doesn't mean it's a good idea.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:36 AM   #34
wrvond

Quote:
It’s definitely not just a level vs unlevel thing for me. My driveway is level side to side, so I usually just level front to back with the tongue jack when parked at home. When I do that door won’t latch. Once I use auto level and it lifts the frame a little then the door latches.
What about when it's hooked to the truck? Do the doors operate properly then?

Your bathroom doors are perpendicular to the centerline of the camper, so it would seem that any twisting of the door frame would be the result of side to side tension of the camper frame.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:48 AM   #35
madweazl

If I remember right, the Lippert system needs to be within 2.5 degrees of level (side to side) to work properly (in addition to the front needing to be higher than the rear). When I unhook, I hit auto level from that point and it does the rest (provided side to side is good). That also enables the auto hitch height when it's time to hook back up.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:32 AM   #36
TimC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
What about when it's hooked to the truck? Do the doors operate properly then?

Your bathroom doors are perpendicular to the centerline of the camper, so it would seem that any twisting of the door frame would be the result of side to side tension of the camper frame.
The bathroom door is a new one so haven’t really messed with it much. I was able to make some adjustments while camping to get it to latch, but forgot to see if it was any different after retracting the leveling jacks. I’ll have to check that when I get home from work.

The main entry door does not latch when connected to the truck. The only time it latches is when I have it leveled with the leveling jacks.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:16 AM   #37
jasin1

when the trailer is assembled it’s probably on a level frame jig or the jacks are leveled i’d imagine…makes it easier to keep everything plumb and level while installing…as soon as you try and use the doors when it’s not level i guess things get out of alignment… and i always use auto level before entering except while stopped at a rest stop…tried leaving the fifth wheel hitched overnight but i still lowered the front legs and raised till …again level via 3 ft level on floor…

…...that was five too many “levels” of this paragraph structure …apologies
Old 06-14-2022, 07:18 AM   #38
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
when the trailer is assembled it’s probably on a level frame jig or the jacks are leveled i’d imagine…makes it easier to keep everything plumb and level while installing…as soon as you try and use the doors when it’s not level i guess things get out of alignment… and i always use auto level before entering except while stopped at a rest stop…tried leaving the fifth wheel hitched overnight but i still lowered the front legs and raised till …again level via 3 ft level on floor…

…...that was five too many “levels” of this paragraph structure …apologies
Are being on the level with us? Sorry, I just can't help myself.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:20 AM   #39
jsb5717

Quote:
The bathroom door is a new one so haven’t really messed with it much. I was able to make some adjustments while camping to get it to latch, but forgot to see if it was any different after retracting the leveling jacks. I’ll have to check that when I get home from work.

The main entry door does not latch when connected to the truck. The only time it latches is when I have it leveled with the leveling jacks.
Maybe it’s just me but it seems like you have more than normal flex in your rig. It’s not something that comes up a lot which leads me to believe that maybe there is something wrong with yours. It’s new and still under warranty. I’d be temped to get with my dealer and pursue and comprehensive check of the frame for integrity. YMMV.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:26 AM   #40
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Our camper has 2 exterior entrance doors. Never had an issue with them opening or closing if the camper was hitched up ur not level. Have you lubricated or adjusted the latch on the entrance door?

Our bathroom door will open, close and latch also without issue. The door will swing open or shut if it's unlatched and open if it's not level. If the trailer is level I can open the door in any position and it will stay .