Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2022, 06:33 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdynbama View Post
I ordered the Watchdog 50 EMS and it’s supposed to be delivered Thursday. I don’t worry to much about bad power here at home. I have had 3 different RV’s plugged in here over the past 20 years and never had a problem just using a surge protector but since retiring in January we hope to get out more often and thought I should upgrade my protection in different CGs. I still might look into hardwiring the Autoformer at a later date. Thank you all
Here's the thing with the Autoformer, the need greatly depends on where you're at. While brown - outs may never occure where you live (it's not an issue at our home) I've found it an issue at some campgrounds. Typically I find it happens in "older CGs) in the heat of summer. Especially if it's a heat wave or an unusually high temp day.

Older CGs often were built many decades ago when a 15 amp plug was sufficiant and maybe they had a few 30 amp sites for the "big rigs" of the time. Zip forward a few decades and 30 amp became "the standard". Now 50 ampnis in demand as units with 2 or 3 a/c units, washer dryers, residential fridges, microwaves, electric sckillets, crock pots, charging golf carts, etc. Then take a particularly hot day and a cg full of folks "running everything" on a system that doesn’t have the infastructure to keep up. I could babble on for paragraphs with details but this is already too long.

The crux of the reply is that when you find yourself needing it you'll likely be thankful you have it. Our unit is only 30 amp with a 15k a/c unit. I've been in CGs where others have tripped their 30 amp breakers or have heard MH's with 50 amp have their generators kick in because the voltage drops. Our unit just keeps going. I shed all other electric loads, i.e. wh, fridge, on gas, and the autoformer keeps the voltage high enough to satisfy the EMS and run the a/c unit without harm.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:51 AM   #22
travelin texans

Haven't researched the Autoformer for what it will or will not do so no opinion. I did have a 50amp PI portable EMS plugged in fulltime dailey for 10+ years on 3 different 5ers, it worked flawlessly, I never even came close to leaving in behind as I left it connected to the shore cord & it never walked away from any place we parked all across the country.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:08 AM   #23
RobWinkler

I have the 50 amp EPO. I can't find anywhere that it will boost low voltage. As for drawing too many amps, you plug into a 50 amp breaker. You can't draw any more than that without tripping the breaker. It has low and high voltage alert and shutoff. You can't go wrong with this surge protector with bluetooth.
RobWinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 08:48 AM   #24
Rdynbama

Fortunately I have the option of running a generator on this rig if we get into the brown out situation
The Autoformer is still on my radar
I just came back from looking under my rig near the shore power for a possible place to mount it and wire it up
It can be done but I’ll to get really creative
Thanks again

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:47 AM   #25
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdynbama View Post
Fortunately I have the option of running a generator on this rig if we get into the brown out situation
The Autoformer is still on my radar
I just came back from looking under my rig near the shore power for a possible place to mount it and wire it up
It can be done but I’ll to get really creative
Thanks again
Hughes makes a mounting bracket for both models (30 and 50 Amp).
Yes, you will have find somewhere to mount it and have the correct power cords. I did mine with nuts and bolts since I do not have a welder. Also didn't want to get things to hot around the frame of the trailer.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:59 AM   #26
Rdynbama

I have a welder but I’ll do nuts and bolts if I do it, for the same reason I have two gas tanks right beside where the shore power comes in
I certainly don’t want any sparks around there!!!!
Thanks for the info

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Old 04-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

I wouldn't be concerned about mounting an Autoformer to "hide it from the eyes of the CG". I don’t think it's an issue or a concern with CG owners or managment.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:30 AM   #28
Laredo Tugger

I agree Marshall.
I mounted mine out of sight not because of campground management ( although where it's located requires some effort to identify it) but mainly for security from those in the campground that might decide my Autoformer would better serve their trailer or drug habit, take your pick.
I have road tested the mounting bracket and it is much easier to just run plugs to the unit at each campsite rather than jockey that 38 lbs. around the trailer.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:48 AM   #29
WearyTraveler

I have both the 50a autoformer and the watchdog with EPO. I don’t know if / when they’ve protected me, but I haven’t felt the pain of a power surge and I’m happy with both.
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:22 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
I have both the 50a autoformer and the watchdog with EPO. I don’t know if / when they’ve protected me, but I haven’t felt the pain of a power surge and I’m happy with both.
That's the "good thing about an EMS and/or an autoformer"... You never know when it protected your trailer and hopefully it prevented the smell of smoke from any of the systems in the trailer

Not quite the same as a "surge protector" that sits there, blinking yellow and red lights while the trailer "burns".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 05:23 AM   #31
Rdynbama

I just received our 50 watchdog with EPO and we’ll start using it on our next trip
The Autoformer is still on my radar though

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Old 04-15-2022, 04:17 PM   #32
Life-in-Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
:

Not quite the same as a "surge protector" that sits there, blinking yellow and red lights while the trailer "burns".....
Was ready to order a PI EMS HW30C.
Started looking further.
Manual says it only protects a surge 1 time then comes back online it can be switched to bypass mode with no protection.
Things like 60 Hz faults are almost non-existent unless it's ones own geny.
The over/under voltages happen.
But a good surge suppressor Id' s the rest of the faults, & 1 surge is handled & shows in the lights.
So a PI EMS seems almost a loss compared to a Hughs Autoformer.
The hughs bulldog can be fixed easily & might be the best w/an extra surge card on standby.
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote