Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
DocData757

Suggestion for a convenience option

I've been told that Keystone monitors this forum and so I am making a suggestion for an option, especially for the larger 5th wheels since a lot of full timers live in them (as we do).

It would be great if the bays could all be locked and unlocked remotely from inside the camper (maybe a switch within the panel with the other light switches.) The current option is to leave them unlocked or go inside, grab the keys and make a trip around the camper. Then, in the morning, when you go to open a bay, of course, it's locked so then there is another trip back into the camper and then back outside. This is especially irritating when it was the bay on the opposite of the camper that you needed to get in to.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
TeamCyBo

Combi-Cam locks! Works everytime and no keys

Bo

Roy Rogers said it best, "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again".

https://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/.../thefamily.jpg
TeamCyBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Johnnyfry

Remote locks

The downside of remote locks is that they would, of necessity,be electric. My fear would be a dead battery. The battery is housed in one those locked compartments ------ Well, you get the idea!

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

I'm not sure where you heard that Keystone monitors this forum .... it would be nice but I doubt it. Secondly If they did they would be the first to remind you that their trailers are not designed for full time living and that it voids most of the warranty. If you are making a warranty claim do not offer that information ...... they usually will not ask. As for remote locks ... would be nice but I'm sure it would be pricey and costly to repair. As usual JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with Hank. Electric locks might be convenient, but they certainly would pose a problem if you happened to have a dead battery, a wiring problem, a "off level" problem that caused a lock binding problem, etc. As for having to go back inside to get a key, making double trips, etc. Why not hide a key to your compartment locks in the propane storage compartment? It doesn't have locks on it (or shouldn't have locks) and that would make an outside key readily available if you need to get into a compartment and you're already outside. With the CH751 key issue, it's certainly not like someone would "find your key and get access" as much as it is, they probably have a key in their pocket if they have a camper parked in the same campground.

I have a compartment key and a main door key "descretely" stored in my RV propane compartment just in case we might lose our keys, get locked out, or even if my wife sends me back to the trailer for something while she waits in the boat...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
mhs4771

Combi-Cam locks here also, and no key to worry about.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
haffcke

locking compartment doors

back in the early 60's locked my tow vehicle tied dog to trailer step put the 3 kids to bed retired with wifeie in our 16ft little TT and sometime during the night all of us slept through someone breaking into the pickup, did more damage breaking in than what they manage to steal, point being i never stay at a campground were i have to worry about someone breaking into my storage compartments, besides i think most keys will unlock most units anyways, so i never lock em. and i travel most of the year. now watch some rat will get me this year, well at least i won't have to repair the doors.
haffcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I'm not sure where you heard that Keystone monitors this forum .... it would be nice but I doubt it. Secondly If they did they would be the first to remind you that their trailers are not designed for full time living and that it voids most of the warranty. If you are making a warranty claim do not offer that information ...... they usually will not ask. As for remote locks ... would be nice but I'm sure it would be pricey and costly to repair. As usual JM2¢, Hank
Hank -

In my discussions with Keystone Customer Service over the past couple of days concerning the Iota Transfer Switch, I mentioned the Forum and how it would be nice to have a Keystone member. The response I got from Robyne was, "We don't monitor the forums in our group. Rather we concentrate on the customer service needs at hand.". I thought that answer was a little strange. Is the implication that there is a person or group who do monitor the forums, or there is no one listening?

It would be interesting to know.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
DocData757

I think they are here but not in any official capacity.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

You don't have to be a registered member to monitor this forum. Somehow, I doubt very much if Keystone has planted any kind of "mole" disguised as a registered member amongst us. Perhaps he or she was one of the members with the strange name that we banned a while back and who had an ISP address in Moscow?
If I worked in the Customer Satisfaction Department at Keystone, I certainly would be interested in what others had to say about our products but maybe they get enough feedback via letters, email and phone calls. Who knows? Perhaps they have enough satisified or otherwise quiet customers and enough sales that they really don't care too much about any recommendations or opinions from us. My thought that there isn't anybody in there listening or reading to what we have to say.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
geo

I agree

Festus2 -

I agree. I certainly doubt if there's a Keystone "mole" registered in the Forum. Way too much Hollywood conspiracy there for me! However, it wouldn't surprise me if a Keystone employee or production manager lurked now and then.

As far as suggestions to Keystone, I have my own list I would love to give to them. But from all appearances, Keystone doesn't solicit much "customer satisfaction". There's not the annual survey, or invitation to comment that I experience with other software vendors and other suppliers. And it's not that I don't think that they don't care, I think it's more that "Keystone knows best". I know one place that one might be able to have input, though. Even now and then, a Keystone Product Line Manager will be at the Dallas RV Show. We'll see later this month.

That said, I still thought Robyne's comment was interesting.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Kunkler

what about thoes child safety locks the are magnetic, not sure if they would work just came to mind... I know anyone could get into it if they had a magnet but how many people carry one around?
Kunkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
SteveC7010

When I was active with the Sunline forum, we discovered that the chief designer for Sunline read the forum on a regular basis.

Even though Sunline was bought out and vaporized by an investment group, in its heyday, they listened to the customers.

Keystone could do well to do the same.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Valover

The Forest River forum has industry reps who participate and they can be very helpful.

Don and Laura + Critters
2008 Tundra
2011 Premier 28RLS
Valover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
MILBY

Just got home from the Chicago RV show. Talked with a keystone Rep from Goshen and he said he has never heard of this site.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #16
Mighty Ming

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILBY View Post
Just got home from the Chicago RV show. Talked with a keystone Rep from Goshen and he said he has never heard of this site.
Well then I have some Ocean Front Property For Sale in Arizona...they definitely lurk these sites. One (even a rep) can learn much from just lurking the site...Too much info from a lot of campers/owners who have actual hands on experience..talked with dealers who admit to lurking if not belonging to forums..it's there lively hood...yes the walls have ears!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote