Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
ljp

Question Dometic refrigerator fire concern

We are enjoying our 2012 Passport 195RB with a Dometic refer, model DM2652LBX. After almost three months and the first time the refer was used (with propane) it stopped working. Technician reported a "fusible link" and "electrode wire" were burned. After thorough examination of the system the technician was unable to identify the cause of the fire that created the damage. Is anyone familiar with any similar problems with this refrigerator?
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
CarKath

Are you saying you actually had a fire? Or overheated wires for an unknown reason?
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
ljp

The technician reported there was a "fire" that caused the damage. Apparently when the technician activated the system during his inspection there was a "flare up" (flame) created; he believes this caused the damage he observed but could not identify what caused this problem. A blockage of the draft was initially suspected but everything checked out fine.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
CarKath

Thanks for clearing this up. I was just curious as what to watch for myself. I personally have not had the issue. Good luck in tracking this down. I am confident somebody on this forum will have some useful input.

Goodluck
Old 02-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
The technician reported there was a "fire" that caused the damage. Apparently when the technician activated the system during his inspection there was a "flare up" (flame) created; he believes this caused the damage he observed but could not identify what caused this problem. A blockage of the draft was initially suspected but everything checked out fine.
If it were me, I would get the opinion of another "technician". Something does not seem right. If he inspected and saw burned electrical components, Why would he try to ignite the gas???? The whole idea of a fusible-link is to burn or melt in the event of an electrical short.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
CarKath

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
If it were me, I would get the opinion of another "technician". Something does not seem right. If he inspected and saw burned electrical components, Why would he try to ignite the gas???? The whole idea of a fusible-link is to burn or melt in the event of an electrical short.
Great point and one I overlooked!! Thanks Hank.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
ljp

Thanks for all the feedback. The technician that inspected the refer was in contact with a person at Dometic. I don't know why the technician tried to ignite the gas and after a lengthy phone conversation with the Dometic contact the source/cause of the problem could not be determined. We should be back home within a week and the unit will be returned to the dealer for further inspection and repair. I'll keep you posted on their findings. Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

One hank is right!!!! 2 dometic has had some recalls with older units. Maybe yours is an older type that slipped through the cracks 2012 should not be involved but... Good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
mjhaa43

I HAD A RECALL ON MY 2006 WILDWOOD DOMETRI REFRIGERATOR AND THEY PUT IN A NEW ONE
mjhaa43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
haffcke

domitic

the frig in my 2011 bullet stopped working abruptly while in electric mode but cooled in gas mode just fine just as my 1 year warrenty ran out, called keystone and learned the warrenty for the dometic refg. has a 2 yr. warrenty the dealer had to replace the cooling unit and all seams well after 4 months, i never turn mine off due to steady use. Phil
haffcke is offline   Reply With Quote