Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #1
Courser Farm

Question about Slides

Hi: We are buying a new Cougar 24 RDS and we are used to being able to use our bathroom when we stop for a bit, but on this camper the slide blocks the steps to the bedroom/bathroom. So we figure we can just park (safely) and put the slide out 10 inches and slip by. But we are getting conflicting info from sales and from service. One says that no slides will move while the camper is plugged up to our truck; the other one disputes this and assures us that we can put the truck in park, and run the slide out. HELP!! This could be a deal breaker. Thanks in advance.
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:30 PM   #2
Javi

I've never seen a trailer that had a safety switch to prevent slides from being deployed while plugged into a truck.. and I've been doing this since 1983

So... yes you can deploy the slides while plugged into the truck. I've done it probably a hundred times over the years since slides became a thing.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser Farm View Post
Hi: We are buying a new Cougar 24 RDS and we are used to being able to use our bathroom when we stop for a bit, but on this camper the slide blocks the steps to the bedroom/bathroom. So we figure we can just park (safely) and put the slide out 10 inches and slip by. But we are getting conflicting info from sales and from service. One says that no slides will move while the camper is plugged up to our truck; the other one disputes this and assures us that we can put the truck in park, and run the slide out. HELP!! This could be a deal breaker. Thanks in advance.
Both sales and service are "correct to a point" but also apparently not familiar with the In-Command system in trailers they sell. That "should give you concern" if/when you have issues with In-Command and need the dealership to resolve them. So, be aware of the "knowledge base exhibited by your dealer !!!

Now, to answer your question, when you plug in the 7 pin connector and apply the brakes in the tow vehicle, a "safety lockout" function in the In-Command disables all "moving parts/motors" to prevent inadvertent deployment while towing. When you park, whether at a rest area or at any other location, you must "enter the trailer and press the "UNLOCK" feature on the control panel. You can not deploy the slides with your phone or with any remote control until you "physically enter the trailer and press "UNLOCK" on the Display Commander panel.

So, yes, when towing, the slides are disabled and "locked out". You can unlock them "only from the Display Commander" which means you must be inside the trailer to unlock them.

Here is the comment in the In-Command manual:

iN-Command is equipped with a Safety Lockout feature to
ensure certain system functions are unavailable during transit.
When the Brake Signal on the tow vehicle is activated, the
iN-Command will lock down all motorized functions.
The Display Commander and mobile devices will also display
“Travel Lock On” in red letters and the affected buttons will
cease to activate.
The lights, water pump, water heater, generator, and tanks
sensors will continue to function.
To turn the Travel Lock off, the “Unlock” button on the Display
Commander, inside the RV, must be pressed.

So, yes the slides are locked but you can unlock them and deploy them slightly while at a rest area or at any other "temporary parking space".... It won't prevent you from using the trailer the way you want to use it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
dutchmensport

I'm pretty certain Motor Homes (CLASS A and C) have safety features that prevent slides from deploying when the engine is running, and especially when in "Drive". But travel trailers and fifth wheels do not have such features.

As long as your battery is charged well, you should be able to deploy your slides, .... power cord attached to the truck or not.

Actually, if your battery is low, plugging into your truck may be the only way to move them.

The bigger issues is, should you extract your slides when hitched to the tow vehicle if the trailer is not sitting level. Again, "some" CLASS A RV's manufacturers recommend extending first before leveling, others say level first then extend.

But with travel trailers and fifth wheels, the trailer should always be as level as possible before deploying slides.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:11 PM   #5
Courser Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Both sales and service are "correct to a point" but also apparently not familiar with the In-Command system in trailers they sell. That "should give you concern" if/when you have issues with In-Command and need the dealership to resolve them. So, be aware of the "knowledge base exhibited by your dealer !!!

Now, to answer your question, when you plug in the 7 pin connector and apply the brakes in the tow vehicle, a "safety lockout" function in the In-Command disables all "moving parts/motors" to prevent inadvertent deployment while towing. When you park, whether at a rest area or at any other location, you must "enter the trailer and press the "UNLOCK" feature on the control panel. You can not deploy the slides with your phone or with any remote control until you "physically enter the trailer and press "UNLOCK" on the Display Commander panel.

So, yes, when towing, the slides are disabled and "locked out". You can unlock them "only from the Display Commander" which means you must be inside the trailer to unlock them.

Here is the comment in the In-Command manual:

iN-Command is equipped with a Safety Lockout feature to
ensure certain system functions are unavailable during transit.
When the Brake Signal on the tow vehicle is activated, the
iN-Command will lock down all motorized functions.
The Display Commander and mobile devices will also display
“Travel Lock On” in red letters and the affected buttons will
cease to activate.
The lights, water pump, water heater, generator, and tanks
sensors will continue to function.
To turn the Travel Lock off, the “Unlock” button on the Display
Commander, inside the RV, must be pressed.

So, yes the slides are locked but you can unlock them and deploy them slightly while at a rest area or at any other "temporary parking space".... It won't prevent you from using the trailer the way you want to use it.
Oh gosh you are amazing! Thank you so much for this VERY helpful explanation!! Cannot thank you enough! And will take into consideration your advice re service. It was the service manager who totally misled us. Again thank you so much.
- K G
Old 08-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #6
Javi

As a note.
I purposely did not purchase an Alpine 5th wheel because it had the abomination called Incommand system and spent my money on an Avalanche which did not.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:08 PM   #7
Getn off

Wow, John, thanks for this tidbit!
I always wondered why this happens every time I unhook and set up. A real pain to lower these stairs (they lift up into the cabin vertically), go in and push that button, and stow the stairs again so I can level!
Never received ANY manuals for the trailer, just appliances. This is a Heartland, but same for my last Keystone too btw.
Troy
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:26 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Troy,

Go to this link and select the In-Command system you have. There are 4 different models. Click on the one in your trailer and when the page opens, there's 4 tabs about halfway down the page. Click on "MANUALS" and you can download the entire series of manuals for your system.

https://in-command.net/control-systems/

I haven't checked all 4 models, but the one used in Keystone trailers has the "owner's manual", the "reset instructions" and a "troubleshooting guide". It's good (almost priceless) information for anyone with the In-Command system in their trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:18 AM   #9
Courser Farm

You should set up a tip jar!! JK because I'm sure admin would disagree. LOL. Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:58 AM   #10
Getn off

That will help for sure. I always just rely on youtube when stuck!
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide