Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
mustang94

Question tv mount to wall

Ok I know I have seen this here some where before but cant find it. I have a small 15 inch flat screen TV that I want to mount on the bed room wall and was just wondering how to mount the mount to the wall? It is going to be on the exterior wall and I know it is full of foam but not sure about any studs or what the spacing of them would be.

Don Williams
Killeen Texas
2012 F250 4x4
2013 333 MKS Cougar
mustang94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
KanTC

Don, we didn't mount our TV on an exterior wall so I can't help with specifics, but...

Here's some previous posts which may have the info you need - some have photos:
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2901

And, some more.
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2836

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2996

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2971

Hope this helps,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
SteveC7010

I ran into much the same problem mounting a TV on the wall of our bedroom at home. The studs around the chimney are not in the expected places so I made up extensions for each end of the wall mount kit. The extensions bolt to the kit's backer plate and make it long enough that I could get a lag screw into the misplaced studs. Luckily, the TV is just large enough to hide the extensions. Had they ended up being visible, I would have taken the time to paint them the same color as the mounting kit.

For a TT, I would think about making up a backer plate out of wood. It would be long enough to span from stud to stud in the exterior wall and wide enough to fully accommodate the wall mount kit. I'd fasten the backer plate to the studs with at least 6 sheet metal screws long enough to guarantee a secure mount. Then the wall mount frame can be securely fastened to the wooden backer plate. The wooden backer plate will be exposed but it can be stained to match the existing wood trim in the trailer.

Since the whole thing is going into an RV, I'd also get some nylon straps and strap hangers to fasten around the TV when you travel.

Edit: If the trailer has aluminum framing, you'll want to locate the studs with a stud finder if there are not visible screws holding the paneling to the frame.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
mustang94

Thanks... now I have a few things to check this week end...

Don Williams
Killeen Texas
2012 F250 4x4
2013 333 MKS Cougar
Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
byrdr1

I have seen in teh newer campers thay are placing stickers that say "Flat screen TV mount" or something along these lines. I wished they would have doen that earlier in 2011 models??
Well tomorrow I am headed to the camper show in Greensboro, NC to see whats new and exciting. The wife is like gosh we have only had the camper a little over year what could have changed. I told her, look at ours a month later they changed the counter tops and the the front cap and the colors, stripes and put in a battery cut-off switch and if they did anything else I cant tell.
So if you need a look at anything let me know ASAP I can take few camera shots or at least get a look for you.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
mustang94

all done...

Ok I did it and was so dam easy. First it was a 19 inch not a 15 like I thought... But any way I bought a stud finder and ran it all over the wall area where I wanted it to go and thought the stud finder was bad. All the lights stayed on everywhere I moved it to so I went to another area in the camper and didn’t have any lights at all. Hhhmmmm.... so I pulled out my drill with a small bit and drilled a hole where I wanted the mount. There was a thin sheet metal plate built into the wall, I thought it would of been wood. I put the tv mount up using two, half inch self-tapping screws then grabbed the mount and shook on it hard enough to shake the hole trailer. Worked for me so mounted the tv, hooked up the cables and the job was done...

Don Williams
Killeen Texas
2012 F250 4x4
2013 333 MKS Cougar