Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #1
Frisbeekev

Impact driver or drill?

Just curious does it matter if you use and impact driver to put down the stabalizer jacks? Would the impact driver do more damage to the trailer or does it make them tighter?
Frisbeekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:53 PM   #2
Poppy

I was told it was too the impact would mess up the jacks. The way I see it, the jacks are for stability not leveling, so you don’t need the torque of an impact. Besides, they are noisy.
I’ve used a drill for about twenty years.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:10 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^IMO this is the answer. Although I see some folks using impacts they always seem to be trying to "level" vs "stabilize". Stabilize is the function.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:11 PM   #4
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbeekev View Post
Just curious does it matter if you use and impact driver to put down the stabalizer jacks? Would the impact driver do more damage to the trailer or does it make them tighter?
You are not looking for 'tighter' with stabilizer jacks. They should be just snugged to the ground after the trailer is leveled manually. Stabilizers are not used to support or level the trailer.

When I had power stabilizers on my class C, they lowered slowly, and I stopped as soon as they met ground, so can't speak from experience in using a power tool, but I would think slow and steady is the way to go: manual or a drill. No need for the speed of an impact driver in this application.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:21 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You can use a drill, an "impact driver" or a "impact wrench", a lug wrench with a 3/4" end or the "twist rod" that comes with the trailer... It honestly doesn't matter which tool you use to lower or raise the stabilizer jacks.

THE IMPORTANT PART IS THAT WHATEVER TOOL YOU USE, YOU NOT PUT ENOUGH TORQUE ON THE STABILIZER JACKS TO FORCE THEM TO LIFT THE TRAILER.

The purpose of the stabilizer jacks is to STABILIZE the trailer. They are NOT "leveling jacks" and they should not be used to lift a corner of the trailer to level it. They should only be used to stabilize the trailer....

So, regardless of which tool you use, the intent is to "lower the jacks until they're in contact with the ground and then "secure them by lowering them a very small bit beyond that. If you're lifting the trailer more than about 1", you're tightening the stabilizers too much.

Any tool with an "OFF/ON" switch will work as long as you use the "OFF" position on the trigger at the correct time.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #6
Old Mustanger

Your camping neighbors will appreciate it if you do not use a power impact driver
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Your camping neighbors will appreciate it if you do not use a power impact driver

^^^AMEN brother!!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:34 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
And hallelujah! I hate the ewrly departures using an impact gun at sunrise to "JACKHAMMER " their frame. Here's the difference, a cordless drill will have less torque and if you just "lay on the button" it will eventually stop and perhaps teist your wrist. An impact gun will just continue to hammer away until it reaches a typically much higher torque and possibly doing damage.

The "other major difference" is a drill driver applies constant torque in one direction. The socket engages the bolt and stays in contact unyil you stop. An impact gun well, applies torque in quick impacts, hence the name. Continued use will eventually damage the flats of the bolt head. Usd a "standwrd" socket and that wear/damage will be accelerated. Camper stabilisers are not meant to have a lot of torque applied and therefore the hardware is a kore appropriate grade. Often they use allthread and weld a nut on the end. That's jot an 8ssue when using the hand tool it was desrigned for as it will funcyion just fine with the torces applied by hand. Using a powered degice that multiplies that torque by a factor of potentially hundreds will damage the hardware if used improperly, like using the stabilizers as jacks. Unfortunately a lot of people see the scissors stabilizers as being equal to scissor jacks like they have in the trunk of their car.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:36 AM   #9
spicercars

Don't be one of those guys use a drill. They have more than enough power.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:56 AM   #10
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisbeekev View Post
18v Robi drill. As said, when your stabilizer touches the ground, turn it another 1/2 turn to snug it up. When the pitch of the drill changes, you've gone far enough. I keep a manual in the TT as well in case the drill kills over.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:42 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
18v Robi drill. As said, when your stabilizer touches the ground, turn it another 1/2 turn to snug it up. When the pitch of the drill changes, you've gone far enough. I keep a manual in the TT as well in case the drill kills over.
Your drill may change pitch but a stronger drill won't. My 20 volt Dewalt wouldn't change pitch until it would be way over torqued. You have to just watch and pay attention. As you stated, make contact then snug it just a bit.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:19 AM   #12
jasin1

The early morning sound in a campground
Old 06-14-2021, 08:03 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

There's a significant difference in "Will an impact wrench or drill driver work to operate the stabilizer jacks on a travel trailer?" and "Is it appropriate to wake up the campground by using an impact wrench at 5AM in a crowded campground?"

But hey, whatever blows up your skirt in the wee hours when everyone else is trying to sleep....

PS: Might want to ask about warming up a "older diesel" at 5AM or maybe "How long should you leave a toddler in a playpen outside after they start screaming?" Or how about those 3 "yapping yorkies" ????

Somehow I think the topic got changed from the mechanical capability and potential for damage to the equipment on a trailer to "how polite should one be"....... To me, they're two entirely different topics, not even "remotely connected" in all RV situations (although they could be in some situations)...

To the question, "Can I?" the answer is yes, the question, "Should I?" well, consider all the implications, some not even remotely connected to the function or an impact wrench.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:53 AM   #14
Bamabox

Drill. Even on low speed, down and up fast. In fact fast enough that you need to listen for that slight rpm drop as it makes contact. If you stay on the trigger it will snap your wrist most unpleasantly.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #15
Gegrad

I use my impact driver to raise and lower my jacks.... but I stop as soon as they are snug and I am not lifting or leveling my trailer with the jacks. I also don't ever break camp at 5 or 6 am, so the noise isn't a problem for me. We always set up between 4-6 pm, and leave between 10 am and 1:00 pm, so the noise isn't a problem. Plus virtually everyone I have ever camped around is using something powered to raise and lower their jacks quickly.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #16
ADQ K9

I keep my jack screws greased real good and break /set up camp at reasonable hours. The impact is lighter and easier to handle vs the drill and doesn't make alot of noise unless resistance is applied so it only rattles when the jack comes in contact with the ground.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:02 PM   #17
LHaven

I picked up an inexpensive impact driver on sale at HF that I could store in the rig, to crank the WD jacks on our ProPride hitch. I'd never owned an impact tool before, but it was relatively inexpensive and way smaller and lighter than my drill. We were surprised at how noisy the tool was. But we're not early morning folks, so for about 10 seconds of noise on each jack at 10:00 AM or 4:00 PM, we trust we're not being bad neighbors.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:15 AM   #18
CampNBrew2

I'll add this-
Remove your tool batteries when traveling and store them safely.
I had a near miss with an old Crafstman 19v drill. Caught it smoking near the switch. It could have been disastrous.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote