Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2021, 02:22 PM   #1
Jay B Win

Inverter Off the Grid question

I came across a wiring issue and I am curious if anyone knows if this sounds common. My RV is a 2021 Cougar 290RLS with the Off the Grid wiring and a 2000 w inverter. After having some power issues I determined that the refrigerator (not a residential type) is wired in the line that goes to the inverted plugs in the RV. The plug next to the refrigerator that says it is an Off the grid inverted outlet is not tied to the inverter. It appears somehow that the two lines are switched?! When unplugged and dry camping, I had the refrigerator on auto, assuming it would run on LP automatically. It did not, it ran on the inverter, which I later noticed shows a 400+ W load which killed my batteries pretty quickly. Am I correct in assuming the refrigerator should not be wired to the inverter?
Jay B Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
ChuckS

I saw three possible fridge combos for your year and model.. all Dometic.. LP/120

RM1350
RM2652
RM2682

They wired the plug so that when not on shore power and inverter is ON the inverter supplies 120 VAC to that outlet and fridge will run on 120 volts always over LP IF 120 is detected when in Auto...

To not run in 120 mode you have to remember to select LP mode manually otherwise.. yes the inverter is gonna draw off that battery and kill it sooner than you like...

The dual heating elements draw about 3.5 amps at 120 volt AC.. so between inverter overhead and electric heating elements that will draw down a battery fairly quickly

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I think he’s saying the outlet next to the refer is supposed to be on the inverter but isn’t. And the refer shouldn’t be on the inverter circuit but is.

Sounds like a warranty issue to me, but that may mean having it sit at the dealership during camping season. If you handy enough, and know how to use an ohm meter, I bet you could move some Romex around.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:44 PM   #4
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I think he’s saying the outlet next to the refer is supposed to be on the inverter but isn’t. And the refer shouldn’t be on the inverter circuit but is.

Sounds like a warranty issue to me, but that may mean having it sit at the dealership during camping season. If you handy enough, and know how to use an ohm meter, I bet you could move some Romex around.
Yup I believe you are exactly right. It should be easy to correct rather then take to dealership if he has the skill sets ...

Old 04-13-2021, 07:08 PM   #5
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Yup I believe you are exactly right. It should be easy to correct rather then take to dealership if he has the skill sets ...
Are the two outlets close to each other enough that you can simply plug your fridge into the outlet that is truly not fed by the inverter? That's the goal. Then leave the fridge on auto all the time.

I had the unfortunate experience to get into the back side of these RV outlets. They're tough to work with.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:31 PM   #6
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
Are the two outlets close to each other enough that you can simply plug your fridge into the outlet that is truly not fed by the inverter? That's the goal. Then leave the fridge on auto all the time.

I had the unfortunate experience to get into the back side of these RV outlets. They're tough to work with.
The OEM RV outlets are junk..that is why I posted a while back encouraging folks to remove them and replace the outlet with a commercial quality outlet installed in an “old work” outlet box.

Only way to go in my opinion

Old 04-14-2021, 02:46 PM   #7
Jay B Win

Thanks Guys,

I have a trip scheduled with the dealer already, we will discuss this issue among the other small ones. I appreciate your comments.
Jay B Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:27 AM   #8
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The OEM RV outlets are junk..that is why I posted a while back encouraging folks to remove them and replace the outlet with a commercial quality outlet installed in an “old work” outlet box.

Only way to go in my opinion
Chuck, do you have the link to this? I must have missed it.

Edit: Disregard Chuck. I found your post: "RV Self Contained Electrical Outlet Upgrade." Looks like i just found a weekend project.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter