Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #1
Dege

Furrion Sideview Camera Question?

I have a Cougar Half-Ton 24RDS arriving in the coming weeks and I want to mount the rear and side view camera system that fits the pre-wired mounts. The rear view camera seems straight forward but the side mounts are a bit more confusing. The side view cameras mount on the forward position light. the lights are marked Furrion camera bracket. The only side view Furrion cameras I have found look like they are hard wired to the light that also comes with them. So do you replace the entire light? If you do, why are the lights marked camera bracket? Lol, color me confused!

So has anyone done this installation?
Dege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dege View Post
I have a Cougar Half-Ton 24RDS arriving in the coming weeks and I want to mount the rear and side view camera system that fits the pre-wired mounts. The rear view camera seems straight forward but the side mounts are a bit more confusing. The side view cameras mount on the forward position light. the lights are marked Furrion camera bracket. The only side view Furrion cameras I have found look like they are hard wired to the light that also comes with them. So do you replace the entire light? If you do, why are the lights marked camera bracket? Lol, color me confused!

Yes....you remove the existing side marker lights and install the Furrion camera/marker light in its place. Be aware that my brackets were mounted backwards at the Keystone factory. If I would have mounted them with the brackets as they were, I would have had a nice side views pointing forward!

I had to remove the brackets and spin them around. As I recall, I had to re-drill the mounting holes as a result and silicon up the old ones.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:18 PM   #3
Dege

LoL, On the plus side you would sure see where you were headed! So if the old light comes off I guess the only difference between a pre-wired light and a regular light is the power connector for the side view camera is already there? Otherwise it wouldn't mean anything to say it's "pre-wired" would it? BTW what did you do about the brackets?
Old 03-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
markcee

Quote:
LoL, On the plus side you would sure see where you were headed! So if the old light comes off I guess the only difference between a pre-wired light and a regular light is the power connector for the side view camera is already there? Otherwise it wouldn't mean anything to say it's "pre-wired" would it? BTW what did you do about the brackets?
Sorry, been a while for this old brain....these guys?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2189.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	32526

They are still sitting in the box....not needed if you use the existing bracket. If I recall correctly the camera portion inserts into the slot on the factory bracket. That's what made me realize mine were backwards....the slots were facing the front.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:41 PM   #5
Dege

Thanks for all the info. Doesn't look like it's outside of my skill set to install these myself. Not interested in the door camera though. Of limited use I would think and there isn't much room between the top of the door seal and the canopy. Plus I don't want to drill more holes in a brand new trailer for limited value. Just my thoughts. Other folks may find that door camera very valuable. I wonder though if you can see the door area with that side view camera. Maybe not. Again thanks for the help.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
nellie1289

there is literally nothing to do other than take out the plastic insert tab the trailer comes with, and insert the camera into that spot. its two philips screws and you DO NOT have to remove the light. I will add a link to anothe post i recently did this. IF you dont have the plastic blanks, then you do remove the light and replace, but all the new trailers have the blanks.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #7
nellie1289

read this link, complete with pics

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=44859

Sidenote: my cameras work great, my monitor on the other hand is a total POS. I need to get them to replace it(Furrion). it comes on, then shuts off with no signal, then comes back on and works great for like 3 hours going down the road. The second I shut the truck off it wont stay connected to the cameras when I turn it back on, then eventuall comes on, and the cycle repeats. Of course it never works when i really need it. And yes i do have the lights on.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 03-18-2021, 07:01 PM   #8
Jim2366

Just a note after using the Furrion system for a year now. I have it on both sides and the back, and just a few things to give you a heads up on. To power the camera's you have to have your lights on.

The side camera view on the monitor you can not see the side of your trailer, the edge of the picture is where the trailer is. When you hook it up and look at the monitor have someone get on the side of your trailer and put hand on the trailer. When they move it off a couple inches you will see their hand. It takes getting used to to know what your looking at.

The back camera I use all on full screen when on the Hwy to see traffic coming from behind on all the lanes. The back camera monitor view has lines that show the distance of vehicles in categories. The last line you know that the vehicle you passed or to the lane next to you is a safe distance for you to get over. I do not use it to back up into a camping spot at all.

With your mirrors, windows and the Furrion system it really gives you a view all around your whole truck and RV.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:55 AM   #9
Dege

I had the Furrion S on my Rpod. It was wired for it and the dealer installed it. It was dependable. Never lost the signal or anything but then it was a pretty short trailer. The problem I had with the Furrion S is the monitor screen was 4.3 inches. I'm, uhm, amassing a fortune in years shall we say, and that little old screen was hard to see going down the road with different lighting conditions to contend with. I didn't use it to back up with but I did use it to clear the area even with my DW ground guiding me. It gave me an extra measure of safety I felt.

The S7 with the side view cameras and much larger monitor screen seems like a pretty good safety addition and make it much more "eye friendly". Nellie, I wondered why they would have that cover on the trailer's side position lights if you had to replace the whole thing anyway. Thanks for clearing that up.

Has anyone installed the over the door camera?
Old 03-19-2021, 07:14 AM   #10
nellie1289

Dege, they will send you an entire light assembly but you just need the camera off it. The one they send you the light is LED, the one on my trailer is regular bulb, not sure why led, but if someone really wanted an LED side marker light, you have that too now with the side marker light cameras.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
Old 03-19-2021, 09:39 AM   #11
Dege

This really sounds like the system I'm going to install. It's kind of funny how all the things I want to order are starting to mount up and I don't even have the darn thing yet! My list for my truck is much longer. I'm hoping the dealer will give me a full tank of gas... Truthfully, this is wonderful fun and a great diversion from COVID and politics.

Backup Camera
Hardwired Surge Protector
Pressure Regulator
Wheel Chock Stabilizer Scissors
30Amp to 50Amp Adapter
Water filter
Water hoses
Screen Covers for the various Exhausts
Sewer lines and fittings
et cetera
et cetera
et cetera
Old 03-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #12
Camping family

Quote:

No you do not have to remove your marker lights as long as your camper is equipped for the furrion camera system. The cameras come with marker lights. But the way they connect is like this. On the side marker lights are 2 screws you remove those screws and the cover slides off. You do the same with the lights that come with the camera. Remove 2 screws and the camera slides off. Then you just slide the camera onto your marker lights. Replace the 2 screws and pair the camera with the monitor. Takes about 15 minutes to complete the process.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #13
markcee

Quote:
This really sounds like the system I'm going to install. It's kind of funny how all the things I want to order are starting to mount up and I don't even have the darn thing yet! My list for my truck is much longer. I'm hoping the dealer will give me a full tank of gas... Truthfully, this is wonderful fun and a great diversion from COVID and politics.

Backup Camera
Hardwired Surge Protector
Pressure Regulator
Wheel Chock Stabilizer Scissors
30Amp to 50Amp Adapter
Water filter
Water hoses
Screen Covers for the various Exhausts
Sewer lines and fittings
et cetera
et cetera
et cetera
I agree....outfitting the rig is a lot of fun!

Speaking of which....how about an RV-specific GPS? Nice price reduction on the Garmin RV890 with the introduction of the 1090.....Hey, and what about a TPMS for the trailer?....you will probably get/already have ordered a GM interface for that, I'm guessing. Of course you'll definitely need to swap out those factory vent covers for MaxxAirs as well.....the list never ends, but it's so much fun!
Old 03-19-2021, 01:39 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

I would caution against using bug screen on the refer. Both Dometic and Norcold have stated, they cut down airflow by as much as 30% and if there is a warranty issue they could void the claim. BOTH say to use flea collars.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #15
Dege

I didn't know that about the screens. Flea collars? Lol, just when I thought it couldn't get any stranger. Probably works fine though.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:58 AM   #16
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I agree....outfitting the rig is a lot of fun!

Speaking of which....how about an RV-specific GPS? Nice price reduction on the Garmin RV890 with the introduction of the 1090.....
Per an email I just got from Garmin the 1090 is $100 off right now
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:47 AM   #17
glendar10

Quote:
The power is the same wire as the old marker lights you just tie camera and light to one snd other to last one. Pre wired is well there but not as most would take it as it is as I said the marker light wires and only work when plugged into tv
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #18
Uncoolron

Have fun on the new FW. We just picked up our Cougar 25RES middle of March and we have been to 3 campgrounds already. I had the dealer install the Furion back and side cameras and work great, although I'm still getting used to the side cameras. Outfitting the brand new FW seems like a never-ending process, but it's fun like what others say. My wife keeps asking me, I thought we have everything already and I keep coming with a new explanation. lol
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote