Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
michaelrc51

Timbren Silent Ride Suspension Reviews and thoughts??

So as part of my off season maintenance/ upgrades to our 2014 Keystone Raptor 300MP toy hauler, I have been looking at suspension work.

This toy hauler is new to us and I like to stay ahead of maintenance issues. It's obvious that the suspension could use a bit of a refresh. I have no idea if/ when any bushings were replaced either.
So, my initial thoughts are to get new leaf springs, MORryde CRE3000, MORryde wetbolt kit, and Joy Rider shocks. It looks like all in my parts cost would be right around $1500 or so.
Pros-it will give us some necessary lift and the installation is pretty easy.

Then, I came across the Timbren Silent Ride Suspension.
I like the engineering behind it and Timbren makes some decent products. I just can't find a lot of reviews on this setup.
My thoughts are that there are a couple of downfalls with switching to this unit.
1. It appears that between the unit and the added structure I'll have to fabricate and install, that I will be adding a few hundred pounds. Thus loosing a few hundred pounds of payload.
2. Where does the movement of the springs and shackles transfer to when having to turn the trailer in tight spots and cutting turns hard with this system? If this system is as stiff as it looks that would mean the hubs/ wheels and tires are going to be under some serious torsional loads during these manuevers.
3. Installation. While it isn't out of my realm, there is definitely a lot of work and fabrication required.
Price is even a bit less than the first option.

My goals with this project are to:
1. ensure that I will have trouble free suspension, at least for a couple of years
2. Soften the impact of the suspension on the trailer. I have 17.5" wheels and tires and I'm sure the rigidity of these is affecting the rest of the trailer
3. Raise the ride height 1.5"-2".
4. Increase overall ride of the trailer.

Does anyone have this system and have some input?
michaelrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
LewisB

The specs for your trailer are quite close to our current rig. I'm curious as to what led you to the conclusion that you needed a suspension upgrade? You mentioned needing "more clearance" so is your system sagging? I'm not being critical of our conclusion - just wondering if your problems could be in store for me?

For your consideration, if I'm ever faced with this situation, I'd be inclined to probably go a different route. A brake upgrade to discs, performed by Performance Braking could also include an axle upgrade from 7K axles to 8K axles. This would replace your existing stuff with new Dexter stuff plus give you superior braking. It's not cheap (about $4500 for me) but would be a great upgrade. I have a heavy Can Am SxS and I'm right at the axles limits with my current 7K axles. I hope to be able to swing this upgrade in a year or two when brakes are needed.

Just for your consideration. Sorry I can't help with your questions on the Timbren system...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I do not have, nor do I know anyone that has had the Timbren system. Looks like it came out last year and all I find is a blitz from Timbren as far as information.

I do however know lots of folks that have, or have had (myself included), the MorRyde system and I'm not aware of any complaints. It provided the smoothest ride I've had in a TT.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
travelin texans

If you want the Cadillac ride with no more suspension concerns go with the MorRyde IS (independent suspension) with the disc brake upgrade. They weigh the rv to determine whether 7 or 8k is needed, great customer service & very neat clean install. The process takes 2 days & you're allowed to stay in the rv inside their shop with water & elec during the install.

For got to mention in the past they had winter specials to keep their crews busy in the off season.
Their main facility is in the Elkhart area with another on the west coast somewhere.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #5
michaelrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
The specs for your trailer are quite close to our current rig. I'm curious as to what led you to the conclusion that you needed a suspension upgrade? You mentioned needing "more clearance" so is your system sagging? I'm not being critical of our conclusion - just wondering if your problems could be in store for me?

For your consideration, if I'm ever faced with this situation, I'd be inclined to probably go a different route. A brake upgrade to discs, performed by Performance Braking could also include an axle upgrade from 7K axles to 8K axles. This would replace your existing stuff with new Dexter stuff plus give you superior braking. It's not cheap (about $4500 for me) but would be a great upgrade. I have a heavy Can Am SxS and I'm right at the axles limits with my current 7K axles. I hope to be able to swing this upgrade in a year or two when brakes are needed.

Just for your consideration. Sorry I can't help with your questions on the Timbren system...
Yeah, I'm not 100% sure but it may be sagging. Nothing appears to be but I don't know anything about the history of the trailer. But, the ride height needs to come up a bit to be level.

That would be great to do, but I'm not looking to spend that kind of money on this trailer now.

I also thought about a disc brake upgrade with my off season mods I just don't want to spend the money right now. Of course, if my brake job ends up requiring new drums that may put me at a point where disc brake upgrade may be an option.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
michaelrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I do not have, nor do I know anyone that has had the Timbren system. Looks like it came out last year and all I find is a blitz from Timbren as far as information.

I do however know lots of folks that have, or have had (myself included), the MorRyde system and I'm not aware of any complaints. It provided the smoothest ride I've had in a TT.
I found some people talking about this system back as far as 2014 in my internet searches to find some history.

I have heard nothing but good things.

I also do like this design of the Timbren setup. My only concerns are possible street on hubs and wheels/ tires when turning since flexing of the Timbren setup doesn't look possible.
Also, the added weight of the unit and supplies to install the unit.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #7
michaelrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you want the Cadillac ride with no more suspension concerns go with the MorRyde IS (independent suspension) with the disc brake upgrade. They weigh the rv to determine whether 7 or 8k is needed, great customer service & very neat clean install. The process takes 2 days & you're allowed to stay in the rv inside their shop with water & elec during the install.

For got to mention in the past they had winter specials to keep their crews busy in the off season.
Their main facility is in the Elkhart area with another on the west coast somewhere.
I would love to do that but my wallet isn't going to allow that.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:48 AM   #8
Ruger

Timbren silent ride 14k dual axle install

We have a 2020 Avalanche 313RS We love the camper and plan to keep it a long time. I will be replacing factory tires with new Sailun HD 14ply tires, and installing tire pressure monitors on them with steel valve stems. If your wondering why so soon I nearly had a full tire failure on my last camper with two yr old tires. If a kind man hadn’t stoped me at a light it would have done $1500-$2000 worth of damage plus four new tires! So I believe in staying ahead of trouble if you can! I also ordered the Timbren silent ride system for our camper. I will do a step by step installation and final review once it is complete. I always wanted to put air ride on my last camper but never did because of cost. This system is as close to air ride quality that you can get without a compressor! Like the rest of you out there I haven’t found many reviews or installation guides or videos... it is a new product. I only hope it’s as good as advertised! Time will tell!
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote