Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
KimberDon

Toy hauler “3 season” doors plastic to glass

Hey all! We are super excited about acquiring a Raptor 351 which includes the 3 season patio doors. However we are a bit disappointed with the flimsy plastic instead of glass or even plexiglass. Concerned about security and our dogs damaging the material.

Has anyone somehow converted the plastic to another material like (plexiglass or glass) or purchased an aftermarket replacement?

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Kim of KimberDon
KimberDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
LewisB

We have the same system and absolutely love the back patio for morning coffee. We considered what you are suggesting, but don't have an answer.
  • We are not worried about security - even if you find a replacement with glass or plexiglass, those doors aren't going to stop either 2 legged or 4 legged trespassers! And with the sliding panels, someone could easily slide a panel down to access the inside latch.
  • I would also be worried about weight of the replacement material. The plastic panel is the moveable panel - slides down to expose the screen portion for better air flow. If you replace the plastic with something much heavier, those panels will probably slide on their own - you might need to fasten them down.
  • Dogs? As you have guessed, those doors won't last long if the dogs have access to them - so you need to keep the dogs away or find replacement materials. Plexiglass will scratch and probably look terrible in one trip - don't have a good answer.
We did add a full length curtain across the back; it is split in the middle and the DW made tie-ties for each half on the sides. That allows us to leave the deck down and have some visual privacy during the night. When we go to bed, we just close and lock the internal sliding glass door which is much more secure.

Sorry we couldn't answer your question...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:09 AM   #3
John3Dtraveler

I'm a newbie just looking into some 3 season doors. You were talking 3 season doors then you mentioned the "internal sliding glass door"
We have a 2021 Impact 367 and I really want some form of door for the patio that will keep some of the A/C inside the garage/bedroom.
I couldn't find a unit with any doors in the garage so I'd like to add a door. Any suggestions?
John3Dtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:40 AM   #4
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3Dtraveler View Post
I'm a newbie just looking into some 3 season doors. You were talking 3 season doors then you mentioned the "internal sliding glass door"
We have a 2021 Impact 367 and I really want some form of door for the patio that will keep some of the A/C inside the garage/bedroom.
I couldn't find a unit with any doors in the garage so I'd like to add a door. Any suggestions?
(Retro-fit?) I haven't researched, but I have not seen any DIY kits for ramp/patio doors. It is my understanding that Lippert does not sell the 3 season doors to consumers as a kit; you would need to have a dealer order and install the 3 season doors like you see on the Raptor. Did your unit come with the party deck cables and guard railings? To be a patio, you would need these as well. The doors/jams need to be inboard of the ramp deck and patio railings when folded in (you loose about 10" of garage). And all of this stuff has to be designed to swing out of the way in order to load the garage. In all, it would be a very expensive "retro fit" or a very detailed home project.

(Security) Yes, our Raptor 353TS has the "3 season" plastic/screen sliding doors at the ramp end of the garage. Then we have a sliding glass door (just like at a house) that separates the front of the garage from the living area. While it is a single pane door (not very efficient), it provides security and AC separation. I really like this setup because the typical "swing in" door into the garage on most toy haulers either limits the garage by 3-4' or is unusable when your toys are loaded up against the doorway.

(AC performance) We have found the 3 season doors to be adequate even at very hot temperatures (e.g. 100°F) PROVIDED you have 3 AC units capable of simultaneous operation. The garage AC seems to handle the heat loss from the doors. If it gets really hot, it is likely that you would not want the sun shining through those plastic panels anyway and would likely close the ramp door. By code, the garage AC is NOT ducted into the AC feeding the main room to reduce the possibility of exhaust/fuel fumes being introduced into the living area. On the flip side, however, the main AC unit is ducted into the garage, but this is totally ineffective and only reduces the effectiveness of the AC in both spaces.

My recommendation: if you have 3 AC units on your Impact and they are capable of simultaneous operation, give the 3 season doors a try; I do not think they will be much of an issue (as long as you accept their drawbacks). If you only have 1 or 2 AC units, I would focus on getting more AC installed. With your 39' in length, you are going to need a lot of AC to stay cool when it is 110°F outside.

Here's a link to what is possible with 3 AC units AND the 3 season doors:
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=39365

Hope that helps.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #5
John3Dtraveler

Thank you, that's good info.
I believe it was your video of a 367 walkthrough at the Willis, Texas Holiday World that started me on this journey to find the doors.
John3Dtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:12 AM   #6
asby69

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberDon View Post
Hey all! We are super excited about acquiring a Raptor 351 which includes the 3 season patio doors. However we are a bit disappointed with the flimsy plastic instead of glass or even plexiglass. Concerned about security and our dogs damaging the material.

Has anyone somehow converted the plastic to another material like (plexiglass or glass) or purchased an aftermarket replacement?

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Kim of KimberDon
LCI sells the glass. You can get Clear, Tinted, or "Privacy". I wanted TINTED.

All 8 panels with TINTED glass SKU: 720030

Then the panels can be ordered separately as a set of 4 (top or bottom);

Again, these are TINTED;

Bottom SKU (4 glass panels): 694029; PATIO WALL SLIDE PANEL; GEN II; 16.50 W X 40.59 H. These go in to the track nearest the screen.

Top SKU: 694030 (4 glass panels); PATIO WALL SLIDE PANEL; GEN II; 17.25 W X 40.59 H. These go in the middle track of the doors.

Takes like 2 weeks to get them after ordering.

Hope this helps.
asby69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:56 AM   #7
asby69

3 Season Tinted Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by asby69 View Post

Again, these are TINTED;

Bottom SKU (4 glass panels): 694029; PATIO WALL SLIDE PANEL; GEN II; 16.50 W X 40.59 H. These go in to the track nearest the screen.

Top SKU: 694030 (4 glass panels); PATIO WALL SLIDE PANEL; GEN II; 17.25 W X 40.59 H. These go in the middle track of the doors.

Hope this helps.

BTW; I have a set of the above mentioned (tinted top and bottom) glass if anyone needs them.
Old 06-21-2023, 07:14 AM   #8
Serio

Quote:
Originally Posted by asby69 View Post

Again, these are TINTED;

Hope this helps.

I would be interested in purchasing these if you are saying you have an extra set
Serio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 07:26 AM   #9
asby69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serio View Post
I would be interested in purchasing these if you are saying you have an extra set
I do have an extra set. Send me a PM for additional information.
Old 07-26-2023, 11:20 PM   #10
michaels2408

[QUOTE=
We did add a full length curtain across the back; it is split in the middle and the DW made tie-ties for each half on the sides. That allows us to leave the deck down and have some visual privacy during the night. When we go to bed, we just close and lock the internal sliding glass door which is much more secure.

Sorry we couldn't answer your question...[/QUOTE]

How did you install the curtain on your back door?

I recently purchased a 2021 Raptor 413 with the 3 season sliding plastic/screen doors and have been exploring the use of curtains. In my setup it seems like raising and lowering the bunk could possible interfere with your typical curtain and rod setup.
michaels2408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass, toy hauler