Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2020, 03:45 AM   #1
ehidle

Roof Plan for 2021 30RKD?

Does anyone know where I can obtain the roof plan for a 2021 30RKD? I am installing solar panels this weekend and would like some measurements to datum for the trusses in the roof. I am pretty sure I can see where they are due to the rippling in the membrane at the decking joints and the obvious firmer support there, but it sure would be nice to be 100% sure.

Thanks!
ehidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:26 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

To my knowledge, Keystone like most other makers doesn’t publish or provide any schematics. The only exception to this in my years is Jayco.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
To my knowledge, Keystone like most other makers doesn’t publish or provide any schematics. The only exception to this in my years is Jayco.
Since Jayco has also joined the Thor family I wonder if they still provide schematics?
To answer the original question, if you can see rafters from the roof that's probably as good as you'll get from. Keystone.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

While no expert at construction or following schematics/blueprints, I've worked on airplanes, missiles, cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles and few of them (actually none of them) were built "exactly like the blueprints"... I've built several houses (actually had them built for me by contractors) and NONE of them have been "exactly like the blueprints"... There's always some differences, whether it be structural, electrical or plumbing, there are walls that are 2" off, ceilings that aren't level across the room, switch boxes that aren't where they appear "on the paper", and even things like a missing window or a different size door are/were prevalent on each of those houses....

In short, even if Keystone provided "blueprints and schematics" there's no assurance that they would accurately document where or even if a component is installed as it appears on the blueprint.

I can't begin to count the number of "engineering deviations" I've requested (or later in my careers, approved) on everything from "rocket science to aviation". Relying on blueprints on a consumer product that's processed by human hands, privately owned rulers/tape measures and constructed with "low bid supplies by time rushed workers on an assembly line where quantity is expected before the shift ends" is, at best, wishful hoping.....

In medicine, we have a saying: Anatomy is where you find it... Similarly, I'd propose: In RV's, roof structure is where you find it, not necessarily where the blueprint says it goes.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
ehidle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
While no expert at construction or following schematics/blueprints, I've worked on airplanes, missiles, cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles and few of them (actually none of them) were built "exactly like the blueprints"... I've built several houses (actually had them built for me by contractors) and NONE of them have been "exactly like the blueprints"... There's always some differences, whether it be structural, electrical or plumbing, there are walls that are 2" off, ceilings that aren't level across the room, switch boxes that aren't where they appear "on the paper", and even things like a missing window or a different size door are/were prevalent on each of those houses....

In short, even if Keystone provided "blueprints and schematics" there's no assurance that they would accurately document where or even if a component is installed as it appears on the blueprint.

I can't begin to count the number of "engineering deviations" I've requested (or later in my careers, approved) on everything from "rocket science to aviation". Relying on blueprints on a consumer product that's processed by human hands, privately owned rulers/tape measures and constructed with "low bid supplies by time rushed workers on an assembly line where quantity is expected before the shift ends" is, at best, wishful hoping.....

In medicine, we have a saying: Anatomy is where you find it... Similarly, I'd propose: In RV's, roof structure is where you find it, not necessarily where the blueprint says it goes.....
You make a point. I'm accustomed to high volume consumer product manufacturing, not this low-volume hand-built stuff. There are already precious few right angles in my trailer lol, and the way they're slapping them together now to keep up with demand explains it.

I kinda doubt that the superstructure is going to have a gross error like that, but I guess it could happen. It'd still be nice to know at least where stuff is supposed to be, and what they're made of.
ehidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #6
gregrc75

Under the right conditions I’ve noticed the roof and sidewalls reveal their framing in the morning dew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FEC4BF46-1E37-40A9-873A-489071542A89.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	30306   Click image for larger version

Name:	79D3321B-3F7C-4E86-BD04-740293CF07CE.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	30307  

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
Mikendebbie

GregRC75 has the best idea. I googled for "Keystone factory tour" videos thinking you might get a peek at a cougar roof under construction. I remembered a video of the Montana factory from 2019 (screen shot below) and you can see that the framing varies slightly due to air conditioner placement and I would not trust that they adhered to the old standard of 16" oc. The best way would be to look up there on a dewey morning when the framing gives itself away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-10-12_17-01-07.png
Views:	109
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	30314  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof