Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2019, 01:39 AM   #1
Eastham

Low voltage.

If voltage of 108 is considered low enough to ruin your electric appliance why are EMS set to trip at 104? I had the EMS showing 108 volts this past weekend. The ac was working fine and I switched the fridge and hot water heater to propane. Usually the EMS shows around 120 volts The temp was in the hi 90's over the weekend.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:18 AM   #2
xrated

In the past, 115VAC was considered to be the standard voltage for single phase electric....I'm sure you've seen. 120/230 VAC. In recent years, the Defacto number for standard household voltage is 120 VAC. Plus/minus 10% is also a standard for calculating high and low voltage. So a10% drop of 120 VAC comes out to be 108 Volts. A 10% drop of 115 Volts comes out to 103.5, round up to 104 Volts. Running equipment at less than rated voltage is going to cause harm to it, especially motors. Higher than rated voltage also can cause damage by eventually breaking down the insulation on the windings of a motor. Manufacturers design and build their equipment to operate within that +/- 10% window without damage, but if the voltage gets out of that 10% window, things start to deteriorate rather quickly.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
Dboland9

I just discovered something similar. According to tech support at Dometic, the AC in my TT should not be allowed to run under 109 volts or damage could happen. I installed a Progressive hard wired surge protector in 2013 that allows the voltage to go as low as 102 before it shuts the system down.

I don’t think this is a good situation. Anyone with different thoughts?

My situation is further discussed in the recent thread entitled “electrical cord safety”
Dboland9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #4
LHaven

You ought to direct that question to Progressive, then post the answer here so we can all learn something.