Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2019, 04:14 AM   #1
rorielly

Sealant to use for roof touch ups

So, I’m coming up on the 3 month mark for ownership of my new travel trailer. I was told to check the caulking after 3 months to make sure nothing is cracked or coming off etc, and to then check it at end of season and beginning of season thereafter. So I figured o should make sure I get the right stuff when the time comes.

I checked my roof and it’s TPO. Textured on one side (facing outside) and smooth on the other. No fleece backing. The only product I can see online is a 2 step product where you have to paint primer first (dicor ultra sealant). To do possible touch ups, this seems to be a bit of a nuisance. Is that the only product that is guaranteed? I read about alpha systems sealants but I can’t seem to figure out which one. My dealer isn’t exactly nearby, otherwise I would just stop there and find out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0E92C091-FAA7-48FE-8B36-3940515FAD31.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	22860   Click image for larger version

Name:	697EA180-3F83-45EC-8878-C68F109D05CA.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	22861  
rorielly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:25 AM   #2
{tpc}

I know I should remember this stuff after a recent sealant experience I had, but to me that looks like the alpha systems tpo membrane like I believe I have on mine. It was described in the manual as such, and I believe I confirmed it after some googling.

Anyway, I would highly recommend finding and buying their sealant for use with their roof if so. It works well. I tried some sealant that was suggested to work with this type of roof (some sort of stuff that works with any roof or so they say), as I couldn't find the dicor in stock anywhere. Wasn't really happy with that outcome and ended up removing most if not all of it for twice the work.

Not saying that the dicor stuff is bad, as most use it, just saying that this alpha systems stuff I found worked really well. Maybe a little more $$, maybe a little harder to find, but worked well.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:26 AM   #3
busterbrown

Honestly, Dicor's Self Leveling lap sealant is what's recommended for TPO roofs. You can find a tube in a variety of colors for around $10-13. It's best to use up the tube after opening it cures very quickly and will be useless weeks later.

Here's a video to provide some guidance on a proper touch up:

https://youtu.be/qvQKJiatP-g
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:32 AM   #4
rorielly

thanks for the info. For the Dicor, I've read it says "works on most TPO roof membranes". What if mine is not most? I also read that the same color/no fleece backing is an Alpha systems TPO membrane, so I'm thinking it's logical to use an Alpha systems sealant.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:57 AM   #5
{tpc}

I would go with the alpha systems then. When I used the first stuff that I found, I could tell that it had a reaction to the roof. It wasn't terrible, but I could tell. When I used the alpha systems stuff there was also a reaction, but much much less. Of course the first try didn't work good anyways, the second try with the alpha systems stuff worked as expected.

I think you may be able to find it on their website, or on amazon. I know a local rv dealer to me who only uses it, but I am unsure if they would ship to montreal, as they are just kinda a mom and pop shop type place. I don't think they sell rv's, maybe just service them.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:46 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The issue of "which brand sealanat" Alpha Systems (roof membrane manufacturer) or DICOR (industry standard) to use is much the same as "arguing" that MOPAR, DELCO and Motor Craft products are "better than" aftermarket or competitive products. I don't think any of us would "argue" that Mobil 1 or Rotella oil are "not as good as" or "better than" the OEM brands...

It's much the same with sealants for the roof membrane. Here is the link to download the DICOR instruction booklet: https://dicorproducts.com/rudys-down...care-handbook/ In this booklet is a complete guide to how to care for your roof membrane. Alpha Systems manufacturers the actual membrane, but DICOR is the "industry leader" and has far more information available for the consumer. The DICOR guide download button is on the right side of the link page.

Essentially, the "concerns with sealant" has to do with the amount of solvent that is in the sealant and how rapidly it dissipates. The solvent is necessary to cause the sealant to adhere to the membrane. Take it out and the sealant won't work. Put more in and it will "dissolve" the TPO membrane. That is the essential reason why the "old style DICOR sealant" is no longer used for TPO products. It won't damage the membrane's ability to prevent water intrusion but it will make it appear "buckled or melted". So, Alpha Systems and DICOR formulated a new sealant line for TPO use. It has a different type of solvent that "outgasses faster" so it isn't in contact with the membrane for as long and doesn't "make it soft" for as long. That protects the membrane from "melting" when the sealant is applied.

Either product, DICOR or Alpha Systems will work equally well as long as you buy the correct part number sealant. The numbers are in the booklet that you can download from the above link.

ADDED: Here is the link to the DICOR sealant information: https://dicorproducts.com/product/epdm-lap-sealants/ You'll want to use "self-leveling 505 series sealant on the horizontal surfaces and "non-self-leveling" series 551 on the vertical surfaces. They are available in the "standard roof colors" and in "ultra white".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof