Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
{tpc}

Changing the tires plus other things...

Ok so I've spent a fair amount of time looking into this here as well as other places on the internet and everyone seems to have some sort of opinion. That said, I am confused about a multitude of things now. Anyways...

My plan is to replace tires with Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires this year. Primarily because it seems the best priced for me, and I can get them at Discount Tire.

I prefer to take all four old tires/rims to them, have them do the job and put them back on myself. One reason is simple, most of the DT close to me will not have the room to accommodate the trailer, and I simply don't trust them enough to do anything more than take the tires off the easiest way possible if they did have the room.

Since I want to do it the right way, or rather a way I don't break anything, what would be the best way to go about this? I have multiple jack stands (4+) and at least 3 HD jacks available as well as a flat asphalt surface to do it on.

While I am accomplishing this task, I want to also take the time to re pack the wheel bearings and inspect and adjust the brakes. With all 4 wheels off, this seems like a perfect time to do this.

Is it just as easy as putting the whole thing on jackstands in the corners, maybe as a secondary catch have the stabilizer jacks down as well? Can I jack the thing up in those same corners like front and back (2 at a time) or side and side?

I don't want to damage the trailer or the axles, and doing it one wheel at a time seems like it would be painstakingly slow.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
ken56

Is there a solid base for the jack stands? Having the trailer fall off the stands would be disaster with all 4 wheels off. Plus, do you have enough stands for like four each side? I would not support all the trailer weight at just the corners, more like at 4 points along the frame on each side. You risk twisting the frame if it's jacked improperly.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
Msmith2054

I did mine today. Went the way felt safest to me. Chocked the wheels on one side, pull the two on opposite side and take to tire shop. When I put those two on, I checked and adjusted the brakes. Then did the other side. Used jack-stands under each axle. Two trips to the tire shop, but still had it all done in three hours, road ready.
Msmith2054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #4
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmith2054 View Post
I did mine today. Went the way felt safest to me. Chocked the wheels on one side, pull the two on opposite side and take to tire shop. When I put those two on, I checked and adjusted the brakes. Then did the other side. Used jack-stands under each axle. Two trips to the tire shop, but still had it all done in three hours, road ready.
This is how I also did mine.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
Steveo57

When I flipped my axles I think I used 4*4s or 6*6s to jack up the trailer and then put jack stands and blocks under everything so it wasn't going anywhere!
Old 04-25-2019, 04:57 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

You can remove all at once or use half the blocks and stands. Do 1 side at a time, like a few others on here. That's what I did and do. Took my time 1 side 1 day.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:58 AM   #7
{tpc}

Is it safe to support the trailer with the jackstands on the axle tubes then? Or how do you do it?

I will be at a friends house with solid footing underneath and he will be helping. Of course this means that I need to try and do this as quickly and easily as possible.

My plan will involve at least my 4 jackstands, my 2 floor jacks, and the 4 corner stabilizers. Stranger things have happened but the trailer slipping off its supports with no wheels on it does not concern me. Worst case scenario would be that every single jackstand and floor jack would have to fail or slip and then the stab jacks would have to break off. Plus my buddy has at least one floor jack himself, maybe two and I'm sure a few jackstands as well. So I just don't see anything bad occurring.

I just want to make sure I am supporting it in the correct locations to not hurt anything. I feel the same way about this when i work on any vehicle. Most vehicles tell you where to place your jack that they gave you for changing a tire...but most don't tell you the proper place to put the floor jack and jackstands when doing real work. Sometimes you can put it in the wrong spot and damage things. That is what I am trying to avoid.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:19 AM   #8
busterbrown

Yes, it's ok to lift under the axle tube. Just do as close to the ubolts as possible, or directly on the ubolts if your jack allows it.

I would heed the advice of others and just do one side at a time. Much safer.

But if you're determined to get the entire coach lifted, make sure the ground is flat and rock solid. Support the frame contact points with 2x4s.
busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:57 AM   #9
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
But if you're determined to get the entire coach lifted, make sure the ground is flat and rock solid. Support the frame contact points with 2x4s.
I will see how it goes. Lots of things to do this year, and will quickly run out of time, so might end up figuring out another way. I just don't expect discount, or any tire shop really to give a rats *** about how they lift my trailer to remove the wheels. They should, and maybe they will, but it makes me feel better if I know its my fault lol.

When you say support the frame contacts, exactly what do you mean? There are two axle tubes, and two sides. The jack stands I have, have a convenient u-shape, so I could place one under each tube on each side, and still leave the floor jack up somewhere as a "just in case" support. I could also extend the stab jacks until they are just barely touching the ground as a secondary "just in case" support. So where would I place 2x4?

I also have a bunch of pre-cut 4x4 that are 1 foot long that I often use under the stab jacks anyways, so I could bring those into play if needed.

This will be done on flat paved ground, not or grass nor in the storage lot. My buddy, who just sold his current trailer offered the space for me to use to do this, it was where he left his trailer when not in use. So its a convenient space with plenty of access all the way around.

I'll also inquire with him what he thinks is best, because I know he had his tires replaced a short while back, but I never heard if he took them there or the whole trailer. His was a roo though, and its a different beast altogether as far as that frame goes. Much lower to the ground than mine despite being roughly the same length.

Thanks for all the replys though, I tend to type a lot in my responses and questions so I understand it can be a bear to read.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:08 AM   #10
MarkEHansen

I recently went to Les Schwab tire center. This location (I don't know about others) has a pretty large rear lot with a large flat covered concrete surface. They told me I could just pull my rig right in there and they would take care of everything. They jacked up the trailer one side at a time, using a bottle jack under the axle U bolts and removed and then replaced the wheels.

The only issue I had with them was a disagreement on the proper inflation level for the tires - Otherwise, the whole job was done within about 45 minutes. Very easy.

Tags
tires