Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Rock7

Rear tire wear? Bent axle?

Cut inside tread off of 2 rear tires. Working on 2nd set. Been over a year.
New axle is due in this week Aug 25, 2011. (File a claim).
Which is more realistic, Rear axle is bent? Why not front axle? It had to hit the same thing.
If you hit something that hard, I believe, a wheel would bend, or a tire would blow before you actually bent an axle. They are tuff.
The spindles were probably not installed correctly. They are put in and welded in place, SURELY NOT HUMAN ERROR.
( File a claim),and let the warranty Company and the Axle manufacturer fight it out.
Axles do not cost that much. Northern Tools sells 5200 lb axles for under $300.00. Dealer told me, my axle tube 5200lb capacity is around $250.00
Rock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
THedges

I had to replace two 3500# axles with 5200# axles earlier this year. My rear axle was significantly bent more than my front axle and I have no idea why. I also was able to put 7000# brakes on. I hated spending the money, but now I am very happy with the set up.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
anthonbloom

See my recent post Broken Springs. My similar tire wear over 18 months in a 2010 318SAB was never diagnosed by my dealer. This week I found broken springs on the rear axle leading to total failure of the left spring and rearward rotation of the U bolt on the other side. It looks to me like the initial problem was failure of the second leaf on both sides through the center bolt/rivet hole. I suspect that this resulted in the U-bolt moving and allowing the axle to twist. Check your springs.
anthonbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
retfrm

axles

I had a bent rear axle on my 2010 cougar. It came from the factory that way.
retfrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
Ron

Bent Axel

Another cause of a bent rear axle is if the trailer is backed into a blunt object, curb etc. it will also bend. I have replaced axles before on rv's and as we all know the factory installs the bear minimum, so I have always went up to the next size and problem solved. Happy Campin............Ron
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
jje1960

Former tt

Our last unit, RVision 27QBSS burned a set of tires off in the first year, very light use. They changed both axles and it fixed the problem. There were so many many problems with that unit that it frankly didn't surprise us.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
RVUSA

Weigh the rig so you get the weights on each axle separately, you'll probably find the rear axle is carrying more weight.
RVUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #8
kenn209

Just went through this with our 2010 Cougar, Dexter replaced all the running gear as a good faith gesture, All I had to pay was labor and shipping old axles back to Dexter. I only had the tires on the passenger side wear heavily on the inside of the tire. After the axles were removed the rear look like it had no camber to me. Prior to axle replacement the rear tires road at an angle. not straight up and down. Much better now. Waiting to hear from dexter if it was a manufacturer defect. They said they would reimburse me for the costs. We only had about 6k on the camper when all this happened.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
28Bunkhouse

Bent axle

Recently had a similar problem. Left rear tire was wearing on inside only. Took it to a spring shop and had axle realigned. Camber and Toe in was way out from factory. Still arhguing with Keystone over this one, supposedly was on warranty. I suggest you do a search, there are other threads here on axle issues.

Brian

2011 Springdale 281

2003.5 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins

Rear air bag assist

Northern British Columbia, Canada
28Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote