Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2019, 05:39 AM   #1
havinfunfl

Shower Door Tempered Glass Shattered

Purchased 2018 Keystone Montana 5th Wheel, late Sept. 2018. On Dec 12th was awakened by extremely loud noise, getting up from sleep, immediately looked and saw that center glass panel on shower door had shattered!!! Bathroom floor, showet stall covered with pieces of shattered glass. This could have caused bodily harm had bathroom been in use. 5th Wheel now at Camping World awaiting warranty approval. Our 5th wheel was delivered by CW to our site when we purchased.,and had not been moved.
We feel 1 Year Warranty should cover this very dangerous shattering of panel.
havinfunfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:20 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You may or may not get a warranty repair approval from Keystone. From your perspective, it broke while you were sleeping and you didn't do anything to cause the break. From Keystone's perspective, they don't know that and you can't prove it happened that way. Other possibilities (I'm not saying any of this happened) are: Someone kicked the door or slammed it and that bent the frame causing stress that the glass finally couldn't contain. Another possibility, whoever set up your trailer and leveled it may have installed a jack/block that is putting stress on the floor under the shower that caused the break. Third, the shower enclosure was installed "off center" and that caused the break. Fourth, the glass was defective and that caused the break.

As you can see, depending on how your dealership reports the cause and how well they document their theory will play a major part in how Keystone proceeds with approval/denial. If your dealer can establish that it was not your fault, but happened because of a defect, then it'll probably be approved. If, on the other hand, they just request approval to replace the shower enclosure "because it somehow broke"... Well, Keystone is very likely to not approve that kind of claim.

You might want to discuss with your dealer "what they're going to tell Keystone" That is the key to approval/denial. Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:30 AM   #3
ken56

I have the 3 panel sliding glass doors on my Laredo and it would take an unbelievable amount of twisting to put stress on those doors. The glass is tempered glass and sometimes the temper process does not get it right and it sounds to me that panel was not tempered properly. JRTJH is correct in the advice of how your dealer should report it, BUT, try contacting the manufacturer of the doors because the dealer and approval process is at least 3 weeks if not more. The MFG. might ship a replacement right to your door.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:47 AM   #4
rhagfo

I will add the reason the panel is Tempered is so you don't end up with large shards of glass and the potential deep and dangerous cuts.
While they can cut the cuts will be small and less dangerous.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #5
Snoking

Was the furnace on and blowing warm air at it. I had a boat window blow up like that after a hot day and the sun had traveled over the top of the boat. So what I am asking is about temperature changes. Chris
Old 01-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
gearhead

One would think the ONE place Keystone would use plastic is....the shower door. One would think.
I've had mine replaced twice. One under warranty and one on me. $300+ to me. I use spring loaded shower curtain rods in the door tracks to be sure the little latch has a back up.
But never been on the road...that's weird.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Shower Door Tempered Glass Shattered

I have yet to see any RV maker use plastic doors on the shower. Some use a rod and curtain. Some Grand designs use a shower curtain called “nautilus “ which is a plastic film you pull across the opening.

https://www.stoett.com/nautilus/

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:04 PM   #8
Griswald Adventures

I know this thread is older, but I have a keystone sprinter and the exact thing happened. Keystone is trying to say that the shower doors and latches aren’t covered under the one year warranty. Did you have any luck? I am appealing.
Griswald Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:08 PM   #9
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by havinfunfl View Post
(snip) This could have caused bodily harm had bathroom been in use. 5th Wheel now at Camping World awaiting warranty approval.
Never take a shower without protective clothing and goggles! Sheesh! =8-O

Tags
glass