Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #1
Afrnd2all

Can't make sense of this.

I am looking into a 2017 f150 3.5 Ecoboost twin turbo 3.55 gearing with a max tow package. Ford's documentation syays vehicle can tow of 11,900#. The salesman sent me the sticker information and on it says that it has the
"6750# GVWR package" not sure what that means. I have not seen the sticker on the door jam as yet. does anybody have any idea what that might mean?
Thanks from Az.
Afrnd2all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Can't make sense of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrnd2all View Post
I am looking into a 2017 f150 3.5 Ecoboost twin turbo 3.55 gearing with a max tow package. Ford's documentation syays vehicle can tow of 11,900#. The salesman sent me the sticker information and on it says that it has the

"6750# GVWR package" not sure what that means. I have not seen the sticker on the door jam as yet. does anybody have any idea what that might mean?

Thanks from Az.

That means that F150 has a GVWR of 6,750 lbs. That is the most that truck can "legally" weigh, including all cargo, people, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #3
busterbrown

Yes, the GVWR of the truck is exactly that, a gross weight limit that the manufacturer sets on its vehicles based on many variables to ensure a safe and "legal" ride. On the inside of the driver's door jamb should be a placard that will state "the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed X,XXX". This is your total (maximum) allowed PAYLOAD. Subtract the payload from the GVWR and you'll get an approximation of what your truck weighs empty.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
jeff57

The yellow sticker on the door jamb will state what the payload capacity of the truck is. As previously stated, this value is arrived at by subtracting the truck weight from the GVWR. The weight of the truck is impacted by the options and features, such as 4-wheel drive, length (wheelbase), larger gas tank, running boards, etc. on the truck. Payload is a very important variable to consider. Anything that adds weight reduces payload.
More Options=More Weight=Less Payload.
For example, if your truck weights 5200 lbs. the payload would be 1550 lbs. based on the 6750 GVWR package.
Towing capacity is another variable to consider. I would guess that the 11,900 lbs. is the maximum weight any F150, fully equipped with "max-everything", will pull.
The window sticker and the yellow sticker on the door will go a long way in helping you determine what that particular truck is capable of.

Hope this helps!
Previous: 2014 F150 SCrew 4x4 w/3.5 EcoBoost; 2014 Laredo 274RB

jeff57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

But, this is a big but. Even that ford says it can tow 11,900 lb trailer How? can you. Lets say it's a RV. It wts 11,900 lbs the tongue wt of it is more than 10% closer to 15% of that 11,900 lbs. At 10% it will wt 1190 lbs. That is what your truck has sitting on it to pull that size trailer. This number I am making a guess, the f-150 wts around 5500 lbs empty. It could be more or less. You need to find out the real truck wt. Because using my numbers you will be able to load that truck with 1250lbs of people, cargo maybe fuel and that trailer tongue wt of say near 1200 lbs. You have overloaded the truck and not got your family in it yet.
My trailer, Keystone printed the tongue wt. is 560 lbs as I recall. I weighted it going camping, for 2 people, 3 days. It was closer to 950 lbs. Nothing wrong with the f-150s or any 1/2 ton truck, but there is a reason they make f-250s and F-350s. The are made to pull a trailer that weights 12,000 lbs and carry it along with your family and gear without being overloaded. My f-350 wt. empty is 7800 lbs. I did weight check my 2002 chev trail blazer, if you know that style it is a small SUV with a 6 cylinder engine. It weight 5,000 lbs with me and 18 gals of gas. So, for what it is worth all the trucks say they can tow XXX but, they need a large payload rating to pull a large trailer. That is the weak point of a 1/2 ton.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
Bisjoe

We went with the 2017 F150 5.0 V8, 385 HP. In addition to weight ratings, the smaller engines with turbo will have to work hard to boost power on a long trip or hills and those turbos can get hot, while the naturally aspirated V8 has the power all of the time. Neither RV dealers nor truck dealers can be trusted for accurate information, I prefer to use Ford's factory documentation and consider your anticipated towing conditions. In my case I got the trailer (4,020 lbs) with a 4.0 Ranger, but bought the F150 just a few days later after a white knuckled trip. All of the trailer dealers said "no problem" with the 6,000 lb. tow capacity. Also, you get more capacity with a weight distribution hitch, that reduces the tongue weight.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/..._F150_Sep7.pdf

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
briyoung

I towed a 24ft enclosed trailer for our business, now a 20ft enclosed trailer and loaded with about 2500lbs of lawn care equipment and all I can say is our 06 F250 with a 5.4L is a friggen slug on the interstate or hills and I bet it's only pulling about 6500-7000k lbs trailer and all. It has 106k on it and it's been through 3 sets of exhaust manifolds from all the heat towing puts on it. My 2016 F250 has a 6.2L and it tows our 2018 2670 BH Passport like nothing. I guess I'm just wondering how people can tow what they tow with a little 1/2 ton truck.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
Ruko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisjoe View Post
Also, you get more capacity with a weight distribution hitch, that reduces the tongue weight.
Umm... sorry but that is not the case. A weight distribution hitch will distribute the weight more evenly on the truck but it does not reduce it. The weight of the trailer is still the weight of the trailer. It may appear as though it is reducing the weight as the rear of the truck is not squatting so much but it is actually moving the weight forward onto the front axle of the truck, so the weight remains the same but it is distributed between the front and rear axles more evenly, hence the name " weight distribution hitch".

2013 Fuzion 342
2015 Dodge Ram 3500
Ruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks from Az.
With the power wars raging among the big 3 the tow ratings have become almost meaningless - they are a sales ploy IMO.

As has been stated you need to look at the gvw and payload numbers. I suspect you will exceed those long before you get to the 11,900 tow rating - and 11,900 is far too much for a 1/2 ton anyway - been there and done that. There are many, many threads on this forum that discuss all the weight variables and now, before you buy anything, is the time to assess what you can and can't tow with a given vehicle. It makes the buying process much easier and hopefully will eliminate buyer's remorse.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #10
MarcS

Quote:
Thanks from Az.
4X2?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
Carrottop

Quote:
Originally Posted by briyoung View Post
I towed a 24ft enclosed trailer for our business, now a 20ft enclosed trailer and loaded with about 2500lbs of lawn care equipment and all I can say is our 06 F250 with a 5.4L is a friggen slug on the interstate or hills and I bet it's only pulling about 6500-7000k lbs trailer and all. It has 106k on it and it's been through 3 sets of exhaust manifolds from all the heat towing puts on it. My 2016 F250 has a 6.2L and it tows our 2018 2670 BH Passport like nothing. I guess I'm just wondering how people can tow what they tow with a little 1/2 ton truck.
I don't know that I agree with your statement about the 5.4. I have an 09 F150 with the Triton 5.4 with 3.55 axle and it pulls my passport 217exp effortlessly including hills. I wont disagree that an F250 would make easier work of it but the F150 with the 5.4 is no slouch and will pull an appropriate sized trailer with no issue. My passport is 24ft long weighing 6500 loaded with 4 point weight distribution and I have yet to have had trouble passing or maintaining my speed. The GVWR on that truck seems a little low but it is dependant on the towing equipment it has. Mine came with all the heavy duty towing and suspension giving me a little more breathing room.
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I had a 2010 F150 FX4 with the 5.4L Triton 24 valve engine and 3.73 ratio axles. It definitely wasn't a "slug" towing our 2011 Springdale 242 fifth wheel. Typically weighing in around 7800 pounds ready to travel, I could easily tow that trailer and maintain any speed I wanted without feeling I was "underpowered"....

I'd note that there are several versions of the 4.6 and 5.4l engines that were produced through the years. Technology and engine ratings from earlier years don't compare to later versions. Comparing the performance of a 2006 Superduty with the smallest engine available (5.4 16 valve engine) with a 2017 F150 equipped with a 5.0l engine is like comparing "chicken fried rice" to Pizza. Not even close.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #13
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisjoe View Post
... the smaller engines with turbo will have to work hard to boost power on a long trip or hills and those turbos can get hot, while the naturally aspirated V8 has the power all of the time.
The "smaller engine" is towing at 2000 RPM vs the V8 towing at 4000 RPM, so no it doesn't work harder, the turbos do.

Yes, turbos get hot, and ? The only issue is if the air going in the intake is too hot.

NA engines don't have "the power" at altitude.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #14
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
With the power wars raging among the big 3 the tow ratings have become almost meaningless - they are a sales ploy IMO.

As has been stated you need to look at the gvw and payload numbers. I suspect you will exceed those long before you get to the 11,900 tow rating - and 11,900 is far too much for a 1/2 ton anyway - been there and done that. There are many, many threads on this forum that discuss all the weight variables and now, before you buy anything, is the time to assess what you can and can't tow with a given vehicle. It makes the buying process much easier and hopefully will eliminate buyer's remorse.
The numbers are a sales ploy, but mostly because you rarely see the real numbers published. The only numbers you are the maximum capabilities of A truck in that class, not THE truck you are looking at. That is usually a rating for single 2wd cab long bed with no options instead of a 4wd crew cab with every option known to man.

The current tow rating system (different from payload rating) itself is an engineering standard that all the manufacturers are using. Thus, all the same standard. . . much like MPG standards it doesn't mean you will get exactly that capability, but it gives you a comparison to measure the competition by.

There is definitely marketing hype involved, but in some cases many believe the smaller trucks (payload ratings) are underrated in order to preserve sales of the larger trucks.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:18 PM   #15
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Thanks from Az.
OP, The "Tire and Loading" sticker (AKA Payload sticker) Ford puts on the door jamb is (if you believe them) there to make your life easier. ie, they think all buyers are stupid. In reality, it provides them lawsuit protection in the wake of the Explorer/Firestone debacle years ago.

The numbers on that sticker are a calculated value of all the options (each one has a listed weight) that came from the factory on that truck subtracted from the GVWR. Basically, the truck isn't weighed, it is calculated. The GVWR never changes. The payload can/does. Any dealer or owner added option, tool, floor mat set, bedliner, bed cover, bed cap, rollbar, hitch, wheels, tires, airbags, etc . . . must still be subtracted from the GVWR to give you the true payload. That is the reason many people say take your truck to a CAT scale. That will provide you a true curb weight to subtract from the GVWR. The difference is your true payload.

However, anyone that believes a truck can truly only carry what is listed on a sticker has probably never opened their eyes, on the road.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:49 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
OP, The "Tire and Loading" sticker (AKA Payload sticker) Ford puts on the door jamb is (if you believe them) there to make your life easier. ie, they think all buyers are stupid. In reality, it provides them lawsuit protection in the wake of the Explorer/Firestone debacle years ago.

The numbers on that sticker are a calculated value of all the options (each one has a listed weight) that came from the factory on that truck subtracted from the GVWR. Basically, the truck isn't weighed, it is calculated. The GVWR never changes. The payload can/does. Any dealer or owner added option, tool, floor mat set, bedliner, bed cover, bed cap, rollbar, hitch, wheels, tires, airbags, etc . . . must still be subtracted from the GVWR to give you the true payload. That is the reason many people say take your truck to a CAT scale. That will provide you a true curb weight to subtract from the GVWR. The difference is your true payload.

However, anyone that believes a truck can truly only carry what is listed on a sticker has probably never opened their eyes, on the road.

The above post has many statements that are correct and that have been stated on this forum many times.

Stating that the payload figures are placed because "we are all stupid" (except the poster I guess) is ludicrous. They are there to keep you, and yours, safe. The statement is made that the sticker is placed there to protect "them" (manufacturer) from lawsuits? So, when YOU decide to exceed them based on someone's comments like the above who does the lawsuit focus on? You.

IMO these kinds of comments are a disservice to anyone not familiar with towing and all the weight limitations they need to be aware of and observe. Some don't think they have any meaning and are in the arena of "if it'll make it move we're good"; that's just not smart and shouldn't be promoted to those trying to determine the "right" thing to do for them and their families.

Lastly, the comment "However, anyone that believes a truck can truly only carry what is listed on a sticker has probably never opened their eyes, on the road" is right. I drive, I imagine, far more than most on this forum other than OTR drivers. The above statement is, unfortunately, becoming more and more true. I do keep very open eyes driving. I observe ANYTHING that comes close to me while on the road. What the statement implies is that it doesn't matter what the legal weight limit is for a vehicle....they can do more - and you should. And Lord, I see it every day. So many have no idea of the safe limits of their trucks and put some inimaginable things behind them....back to the poster's statement.

Read the limits of the truck you have or are buying. Stay within them. They are there for a reason. To disregard puts you and yours in jeopardy and, as I've said in the past, if/when you have something bad happen and it comes to a jury, and I'm on it, you lose.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #17
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The above post has many statements that are correct and that have been stated on this forum many times.

Stating that the payload figures are placed because "we are all stupid" (except the poster I guess) is ludicrous. They are there to keep you, and yours, safe. The statement is made that the sticker is placed there to protect "them" (manufacturer) from lawsuits? So, when YOU decide to exceed them based on someone's comments like the above who does the lawsuit focus on? You.

IMO these kinds of comments are a disservice to anyone not familiar with towing and all the weight limitations they need to be aware of and observe. Some don't think they have any meaning and are in the arena of "if it'll make it move we're good"; that's just not smart and shouldn't be promoted to those trying to determine the "right" thing to do for them and their families.

Lastly, the comment "However, anyone that believes a truck can truly only carry what is listed on a sticker has probably never opened their eyes, on the road" is right. I drive, I imagine, far more than most on this forum other than OTR drivers. The above statement is, unfortunately, becoming more and more true. I do keep very open eyes driving. I observe ANYTHING that comes close to me while on the road. What the statement implies is that it doesn't matter what the legal weight limit is for a vehicle....they can do more - and you should. And Lord, I see it every day. So many have no idea of the safe limits of their trucks and put some inimaginable things behind them....back to the poster's statement.

Read the limits of the truck you have or are buying. Stay within them. They are there for a reason. To disregard puts you and yours in jeopardy and, as I've said in the past, if/when you have something bad happen and it comes to a jury, and I'm on it, you lose.
Once again, taking a lot of poetic license with my comments, but c'est la vie. . . No where or in any form did I exclude myself from Ford's opinion of me!

I was around at the time, and this was widely publicized because of the prior and impending lawsuits. Yes, they do use politically correct wording. No, they won't admit it is to keep from being sued. Yes, the sticker was a direct result of their experience with the Explorer and started shortly after those incidents. Just as "Coffee is HOT" came from the McDonalds lawsuit.

Those that care can read for yourself. http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/07/bu...-vehicles.html
Old 09-28-2017, 04:00 AM   #18
Javi

We truly need an IGNORE button...
Old 09-28-2017, 05:52 AM   #19
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
We truly need an IGNORE button...
Absolutely

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk