Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
tdawg

Roof radius

On my 2013 Alpine the radius roof edges apear to be coming up from main roof with a few staples poking up on rubber roof. Was told a new roof would be 6,000 to 8,000 to replace anyone else have this issue.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
Tbos

Can you post pictures so we can understand exactly what you explaining? Thanks.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Roof radius

I think he is talking about the OSB under the membrane. I've seen edges lift on different brands. As long as the membrane is intact, you don't have to replace it.

We have removed the corner molding, and "peeled back" the membrane enough to remove failed staples, install screws to get OBS to original shape and laid membrane back down.

Not easy, but can be done.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There are two basic types of "EPDM sidewall termination" techniques that Keystone uses. First, on less expensive models, they typically lay the roof decking over the sidewall and staple it in place. Then they apply EPDM/TPO roofing membrane over the SQUARED edge, install an aluminum edge molding/drip rail and screw it into place.

On more expensive models, they attach the roof decking to the roof rafters, leaving a 1" or 2" gap between the sidewall and the roof deck. Then they lay a "quarter round aluminum panel" over the gap and staple that in place. This gives the roof/sidewall junction a "rounded, smooth" edge.

In either type construction, staples are used and sometimes either don't enter solid wood or break/bend and work loose. I wouldn't suggest cutting the TPO membrane to access them (to pull them out or drive them back in) but rather would either "watch them closely" and if they start to work through the TPO then address the problem or, as chuckster said, remove the sidewall trim strip, peel back the TPO membrane, remove the staples, install screws to secure the aluminum "quarter round panel" and then reglue/reattach the TPO and side molding.

It's not a difficult job, but is very time consuming.

Here's a picture/diagram of three types of roof/sidewall unions. Keystone has not, to my knowledge, used the top figure (with aluminum edge strip on the roof) on any of their sidewall construction, but they do use this type molding to seal the molded front caps and even the filon sheet front caps as well as the rear wall. Typically, they use the square corner sidewall construction on most of their entry level and mid level trailers. They use the "rounded corner" on the upper level trailers like Montana, Alpine and a few others. In either type of construction, staples are used and they do, regardless of the price of the trailer, work loose and start to protrude into the TPO membrane.

The second picture is of a Cougar on the assembly line. You can see the "square roof/sidewall construction and on the trailer to the right, after the TPO is installed, you can see how it's folded over the sidewall and aluminum molding is installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EPDM-SideWall-Termination.jpg
Views:	1959
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	13140   Click image for larger version

Name:	COUGAR OSB ROOF SHEETING.jpg
Views:	988
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	13141  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
tdawg

Thanks yes it is the radius edge on the outer edges going down both sides of roof. Do you think membrane will adhere back down or would I need to be prepared for a new roof? I will keep a Close eye on it.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

If (and that's a loaded if) you can get the TPO membrane to pull off the aluminum radius molding, then you should be able to get it to stick back in place with new adhesive. The problem is going to be getting it off without stretching it out of shape. Once it's stretched, it may not "reform" and may pucker in places. Depending on how it separates, you'll either have a good regluing or a terrible regluing.

If it were me, I'd just watch the staples, see what they do in the future and deal with it "if it becomes a problem" but on the other hand, you may go for years without a single staple wearing through the TPO membrane.

Another alternative, if you do have a problem in the future would be to run a seam of Eternabond tape along both sides of the RV roof to cover the area where the staples are located. It may not look as good, but in reality, the roof is not something that's visible from the ground, so it's very likely that you'll be the only one who even knows there's a "repaired area" up there......

But, I wouldn't do anything but watch it for now. Chances are good that it'll last as long as you have the RV without any repairs being needed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

And don't forget, Eternabond comes in colors.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
Jeepshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
And don't forget, Eternabond comes in colors.
Oooo!!! Racing stripes!!
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #9
tdawg

I think I will get some eternabond tape and go down both sides. My luck would be a staple would poke through during a rain.

Tags
roof