Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
Dave W

Installed new springs

On another thread I said I was, along with installing disk brakes, going to install new springs replacing our sadly under capacity 5200 pieces as supplied by Keystone. Very simple job but there are a couple things to watch for.

I ordered 26" long, 6 leaf, 6000 pound springs from etrailer to replace the original 4 leaf 5200 pound springs. 6000 pound capacity since this Montana High Country weighs in quite a bit more then the advertised shipping weight (scales @~11,900) and that the originals were starting to flatten out. An error I made was believing the Dexter chart and that I had 35" between axles (yes) and they took 26" springs(NO!). Oops! They should be 25-1/4". Regardless, I used them anyhow and to date, the only change seen is that the tires are 3/4" closer together (3/8" from the center bolt each direction over two two springs). If you decide to do something like this, measure closely!!!!!! I did and they still appeared to be what Dexter said. D#$%%$^%!!!!

Second to watch for, I also used the etrailer Redline 9/16" u-bolts but reused the original plate with the 1/2" holes opened slightly. That kit from etrailer is a universal 1-3/4 or 2 inch kit with the width of that plate being too wide and will bend. It's also at least one steel gauge thinner. I also added hardened ARP washers to get correct torque on the nuts. The rest of the job was a simple wrenching job plus installing all new wet bolt bushings - and the bolts themselves - now cross drilled with a #43 drill bit so there will two grease exit holes so maybe this set of bronze bushings will last longer then 15,000 miles.

I had added 1" spacers to the original springs to get a bit more tire to body and rear bumper to ground clearance on sharp upgrades. I didn't install the spacers with the new springs as the heftier 3/4" thicker springs plus almost an inch of added height from the increased capacity seemed enough. We'll see - they are waiting on my workbench JIC.

OK, first 110 mile driving impressions are that the 5er still tracks very well and those bridge approaches and departures are no longer causing a bounce and wallow rebound. So, for less then $150 and a few hours seem to have 'cured' our 5ers on road manners.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
gearhead

Good job. I'm about the same weight all loaded heavy for longer trips. Been wondering about doing the same thing. Did eTrailer stock the correct 25 1/4" springs?
I've thought about replacing the entire spring and axle assembly to get 8 bolt lugs so I could spend even more money on new wheels and G rated tires.
It never ends.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:57 AM   #3
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Good job. I'm about the same weight all loaded heavy for longer trips. Been wondering about doing the same thing. Did eTrailer stock the correct 25 1/4" springs?
I've thought about replacing the entire spring and axle assembly to get 8 bolt lugs so I could spend even more money on new wheels and G rated tires.
It never ends.
Yes, etrailer has the correct length 5 leaf springs and are a couple bucks less then the 6 leaf springs I am using.

I'm not sure that 8 lug wheels and possibly a 7K spring, hub axle are a real need and are cost effective. You would probably still have to chop off the existing spring hangers and install new and heavier. Your existing axles can easily be upgraded to 6K by replacing the outer bearing which may require a new hub/drum assembly though the existing might work too with just the 6K cone and cup. Ours was done with 6K Kodiak disc brake hubs along with the 6K springs. I also added a MORryde X Factor cross member to the center hanger and have two more for the other hangers but have to modify them to clear the gas and sewer lines which Keystone 'conveniently' mounted in the way.

OK - that was a bit of added info to my OP plus, of course my opinion (which is always right sarcasm intended )

A few photos:

All the 'claptrap'

Nekkid[/B]

On the way

Time for the brake lines, then back on the road
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led