Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
Hyseas

Mod: Using existing Cable TV jack for Satellite

Over the years I have come across many campers that are frustrated because they have a portable satellite dish antenna, but their camper has only a “Cable TV” input located on the camper exterior. Of course, you cannot use a “Cable TV” jack for sending the signal from the portable satellite dish antenna to inside the camper – or can you? Well with a fairly simple modification you can maintain your cable-ready capability - while adding the ability to use it for a portable satellite dish antenna feed (just not at the same time). I am a retired RF professional, and offer this modification to this community because those that need it, really appreciate it! But no warranty or guarantees are expressed or implied, and any modification is done at your own risk.

As an overview, the frequencies used by a cable TV service are below 1 gigahertz (GHz). The frequencies used between the portable satellite dish antenna and the satellite receiver service are above 1 GHz. So what is needed is a device (called a diplexer) that separates the two services just before the coaxial cable from the outside connects to the antenna booster on the inside. Once separated, the cable service signal is reattached to the antenna booster and works as it did before, and the satellite dish antenna service goes to a new wall jack to which you can connect your satellite receiver. Result: if you plug in the park’s cable, it works just like it did before the modification; and, if you plug in your dish, it is available at the new jack (that you mark satellite). However, doing this requires removing/reinstalling the antenna booster, adding short cables, drilling a 5/8” hole, and installing a new coax jack plate. If you are not comfortable with this level of modification, stop here!

The supplies listed below are from Solid Signal with a parts cost of about $15. There are other places to purchase these supplies, but be sure they meet satellite signal specifications. I selected Solid Signal because it carries everything needed.

Step 1. Purchase the following items that can be found at SolidSignal.com or other sources:
(A) Quantity One: Pico Digital Custom Pre-Assembled Coaxial Cable Jumpers - Six Inch (JRG6C-6) P\N: JRG6C-6

(B) Quantity One: Pico Digital Custom Pre-Assembled Coaxial Cable Jumpers - 1ft (JRG6C-12) P\N: JRG6C-12

(C) Quantity One: Skywalker Signature Series SKY05091I Wall Plate w/single 3.0ghz F-81 Ivory* (SKY05091I) P\N: SKY05091I * As a BROWN alternative to the above, check Amazon: Datacomm 32-2024-BR 2.4 GHz Coax Wall Plate (Brown)

(D) Quantity One: Holland DPD2 Diplexer Dual Satellite Dish TV Antenna Combiner (DPD2) P\N: DPD2

(E) Quantity One: Sonora Male to Female F-Right Angle 5-Pack (HRF90-5PK) P\N: HRF90-5PK

Step 2. Disconnect the 12v fuse that powers the antenna booster and confirm that with the antenna booster on, the pilot light goes out when the fuse is pulled.

Step 3. Remove the antenna booster from the wall by removing the screws and carefully tilting the top out and lifting the unit up and cables away from the wall.

Step 4. Looking from the back of the of the antenna booster, identify the connection marked “Cable”. Typically there are three connections: Antenna; Cable; and, Set 2. The “Cable” connection is often the one in the center – but the PC board is marked, or the pigtails, depending on the model of your booster.

Step 5. Remove the coax from the “Cable” connection and attach it to the Holland DPD2 Diplexer port marked “IN/OUT” (it’s the side with only one connector).

Step 6. Attach one end of the 6” Pre-Assembled Coaxial Cable Jumper to the Holland DPD2 Diplexer port marked “VHF/UHF”. Attach the other end of the 6” Pre-Assembled Coaxial Cable Jumper to the “Cable” connector on the antenna booster. Result: You now have the original cable from the outside connected to the Holland input, and the Holland VHF/UHF output goes through the 6” coax back to where the original cable was connected to the antenna booster.

Step 7. Attach the 12” Pre-Assembled Coaxial Cable Jumper to the Holland DPD2 Diplexer port marked “SAT”.

Step 8. Locate where you want to have your new wall plate. It needs to be close enough to the antenna booster wall plate that the 12” cable jumper can reach it. If you want it further away, then you will need a longer satellite-rated RG-6 cable to replace the 12” cable jumper. Make sure there are no wires or obstructions where you plan to mount the new wall plate. The new wall plate will eventually be connected to the Holland DPD2 Diplexer, so make sure there are no obstructions blocking where this cable will go.

Step 9. Carefully drill a 5/8” hole in the CENTER of where the wall plate will be mounted. The new wall jack’s connector will fit through this hole.

Step 10. Fish the unconnected end of the 12” cable jumper through the antenna booster plate cut out (hole) and back through the 5/8” hole you just drilled. Attach the 12” cable jumper to the back side of the new wall plate connector. Result: The 12" cable jumper connects from the Holland "SAT" port, in through the antenna booster hole, out through the new wall plate hole, and connects to the back of the new wall plate. Installation Tip: Use a satellite-rated right angle connector (E above) on the back of the wall plate connector to allow for a flush fit in narrow wall cavities.

Step 11. Verify all cable connections are snug. Do not overtighten.

Step 12. Carefully work the Holland DPD2 Diplexer and cables down through the antenna booster cut out (hole). Follow this with carefully working the antenna booster unit back into its original wall mount position. Take your time – these are typically tight quarters and it may take several tries to work the extra cables back into the wall space.

Step 13. Carefully work the new wall jack and cable so that the cable goes through the 5/8” hole and the new wall plate fits snug against the wall. Use two short wood screws to keep the plate snug against the wall – be careful that the wood screws do not damage cables or other items behind the wall.

Step 14. Reinstall the fuse and verify the antenna booster pilot light comes on when activated.

All Done! If done properly, when you plug in your portable satellite dish antenna into the outside “Cable TV” jack, the signal will be sent to the new wall jack you labeled “Satellite”. The Cable and Antenna work as they always did. Enjoy.
Hyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
larry337

Re: Mod: Using existing Cable TV jack for Satellite

I actually did something very similar to my last TT. Everything worked but it seemed like my antenna signal was slightly weaker to where I couldn't pick up as many OTA stations. Is it possible that the diplexer also splits or degrades the OTA signal?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
Hyseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
I actually did something very similar to my last TT. Everything worked but it seemed like my antenna signal was slightly weaker to where I couldn't pick up as many OTA stations. Is it possible that the diplexer also splits or degrades the OTA signal?

Excellent question. Every passive component introduces some loss. Cheaper components can introduce significant loss. The Holland DPD2 specified has a typical loss of 1 dB. This means that the loss is minimal and you would be unlikely to see any difference. Technically there is loss, but if the signal is that low, you probably aren't watching it. It's nothing like a splitter that reduces your signal by 1/2. Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
larry337

Thanks. I think I still have the splitter I used so I'll see what brand it was. I haven't done this mod to the new RV but maybe I'll pick up the Holland splitter and try again.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 10-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
Hyseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
Thanks. I think I still have the splitter I used so I'll see what brand it was. I haven't done this mod to the new RV but maybe I'll pick up the Holland splitter and try again.

Roughly speaking, the signal level loss using the Holland diplexer is about 20%. The signal level loss using a splitter is just over 50%. In this application, the Holland diplexer separates two frequency bands. However, a splitter divides all bands in half. They really serve very different purposes. If a splitter was used in the prior setup, then it was losing over half of the OTA signal and over half of the satellite signal strengths. So yes, there would be quite a difference.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:55 AM   #6
Hyseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyseas View Post
Roughly speaking, the signal level loss using the Holland diplexer is about 20%. The signal level loss using a splitter is just over 50%. In this application, the Holland diplexer separates two frequency bands. However, a splitter divides all bands in half. They really serve very different purposes. If a splitter was used in the prior setup, then it was losing over half of the OTA signal and over half of the satellite signal strengths. So yes, there would be quite a difference.
In response to larry337, I misspoke. If a splitter was used in the prior setup, then it was losing over half of the cable tv (not OTA) signal and over half of the satellite signal strengths. The antenna (OTA) feed goes directly to the booster switch, is amplified, and distributed to the TV jacks. Therefore this modification has no impact on the Off The Air (OTA) signal.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #7
larry337

Quote:
In response to larry337, I misspoke. If a splitter was used in the prior setup, then it was losing over half of the cable tv (not OTA) signal and over half of the satellite signal strengths. The antenna (OTA) feed goes directly to the booster switch, is amplified, and distributed to the TV jacks. Therefore this modification has no impact on the Off The Air (OTA) signal.
So here is what I discovered. My original splitter, or diplexer as you call it, was satellite friendly, though not the Holland you recommended. So I bought a Holland. I am currently at Talladega Speedway, which is not my home area for Dish Network which means I won't my local channels. So first thing I did was run a local channel OTA search and I got 35+ channels. Then I setup my dish. After I got that setup I went back to the antennae and I had lost 2/3's of my channels. I suspected interference from the dish so I turned off the dish reliever, no change. I disconnected my dish cable and bam all my locals were back. So it seems there is some kind of bleed over from the satellite antennae drowning out the OTA antennae. Not that big a deal but at least I know what I have to do to watch the source I want. We're just part timers anyway, if I were full time I would get a more permanent solution.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 10-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #8
Mike484

This should be a sticky so it can be easily found.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:26 AM   #9
Larry1013

I have used this mod to re-route the satellite/tv signal at the booster. I know many say you need RG-6 but I have not had any problems/degradation using the RG-59 cable. Is fairly simple to switch between tv and satellite

http://www.tv4rv.com/wiring.pdf

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #10
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Even so, I'd like to see a splitter that degrades OTA signals by 1/2 after the booster. The problem with splitting the signal before the booster is that you are altering the dc voltage going to the antenna. The "booster" is actually built into the antenna such as used on RV's. The wall switch "amplifier" is really just the power supply to the booster it sends dc voltage to the antenna via the coax cable. A satellite receiver also sends dc voltage out to the dish to power the LNB. These voltages need to be isolated not split hence the reason diplexers are used.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #11
Dooby13

Setup for 3 connections?

Will this setup work for any of the cable connections as I have cable jacks in the back bedroom and outside along with my main living room.

Thanks Jeff
Dooby13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, dish, satellite