Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
msubobcats

silly question on the 1# propane bottles...

I know this is a tough question to answer but how long will one of the little 1# bottles last with """normal""" bbqing.
For now we are delaying having a quick connect made up for our new BBQ. And if we do, there are two connections on the 5ver, one at the front and one at the back for the outdoor kitchen. I may eventually have a 30ish foot line made up to run from the front to the back for our new BBQ...
UNLESS it is possible to get a quick connect T to run both units from the back quick connect.
Thanks for any input.

I should have taken a picture of the BBQ. Heck of a deal on one of the Amazon specials... And then the picture is upside down. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1469154723016-1588335381.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	10942  
8.1 / Allison / Long bed / Crew Cab
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOO MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BOBCATS
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
bsmith0404

That all depends on how many/what size burners your grill has. I'm assuming the typical small external camp grill. I've used those bottles for up to 3 days cooking burgers, steaks, brats, and hot dogs 1-2 times per day.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #3
GaryWT

It will vary. You most likely can get through a weekend with 2 bottles but that could change based on what you are cooking. You can make a T to come off the quick connect, I did that and then removed my regulator off the grill.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
bsmith0404

That's about what I figured you had. Again depends on what you cook/how long you cook it, but I would expect you can get between 2-3 meals out of a bottle.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 07-25-2016, 04:53 PM   #5
fla-gypsy

There are 21000 btu's in a pound of LP gas. If your burners produce 7000 btu's/per hour (medium high on small LP grill) it will last just over 3 hours.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
bobbecky

I got a one gallon refillable propane tank to use with our Weber Q grill, and it lasts a long time between fills. I keep a disposable bottle on board just in case.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:28 AM   #7
xcntrk

I just got the conversion quick release hose for my Coleman Roadtrip from PropaneGear. They have one in the 8ft and 12ft lengths. Yes, they also have quick release Y adapters to run multiple grills off a single outlet.

The only downside to this conversion is that you have to re-purpose the screw on fitting from the OE regulator in order to interface with the grill. That means the stock regulator is no longer useable therefore if you ever wanted to hook the grill up to bottles for some reason you'd either need another working regulator or disassemble your quick release cable to restore the borrowed fitting.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #8
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats View Post
I know this is a tough question to answer but how long will one of the little 1# bottles last with """normal""" bbqing.
For now we are delaying having a quick connect made up for our new BBQ. And if we do, there are two connections on the 5ver, one at the front and one at the back for the outdoor kitchen. I may eventually have a 30ish foot line made up to run from the front to the back for our new BBQ...
UNLESS it is possible to get a quick connect T to run both units from the back quick connect.
Thanks for any input.

I should have taken a picture of the BBQ. Heck of a deal on one of the Amazon specials... And then the picture is upside down. Oh well.
I am not sure how the regulator attaches to the manifold on that particular grill, but for my Weber Q I ordered a quick connect fitting kit and 10' quick connect host from amazon, I also need a 1/4 to 1/8 reducer, from home depot.

Then I added a T to the gas pipe where the quick connect was on the camper and added a second fitting.

Take a look at these posts:

post 12

post 13

-Brian
Old 07-29-2016, 06:09 PM   #9
Cyberian

Gotta love Prime Day! We bought the same unit and have diligently broken it in on various cuts/grinds of beef- It'll run at wide open throttle (both burners on high) for just over an hour.

It puts out 20K BTUs and tends to run hot at that even. Don't be deceived by the solid areas of the grill grates. They look like they'd be cold spots and are actually a bit hotter than the open areas once it's cranked up for a bit.

We also got (for more than the flipping grill...) the non-stick aluminum full griddle and the travel bag. Wifey loves the whole outfit & that makes me a happy guy because I don't have to wrestle her Cabela's "Ultimate Camp Kitchen" that is way overkill for two people and it all fits through the luggage door on our trailer.

Edit: It's "Ultimate Cook Station" and looks like its discontinued. That's fine, ours can live out the rest of it's existence on the patio at home. I'm already informed that a Camp Chef Pro 3 burner is likely to join the fleet soon. At least it has folding legs...
Cyberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:19 AM   #10
bsmith0404

I have to admit, I carry more than one grill with us, but love the camp chef more than any of them. I just set it up when we get to camp and pull one of the 5er LP tanks out to run it. I have started to accumulate accessories for the camp chef so the other grills may get removed at some point. I have one that is 3 years old and never been used, not sure why I'm still taking it along.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 07-30-2016, 05:43 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I have to admit, I carry more than one grill with us, but love the camp chef more than any of them. I just set it up when we get to camp and pull one of the 5er LP tanks out to run it. I have started to accumulate accessories for the camp chef so the other grills may get removed at some point. I have one that is 3 years old and never been used, not sure why I'm still taking it along.
I'm like you, carry three different, and my Camp Chef is my go to. I have the oven too. I bought a third 20# bottle to run my stuff and its a spare if one of the fiver bottles go dry. I do have 3 or 4 1# bottles for the lantern.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:58 AM   #12
cjelliott81

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcntrk View Post
I just got the conversion quick release hose for my Coleman Roadtrip from PropaneGear. They have one in the 8ft and 12ft lengths. Yes, they also have quick release Y adapters to run multiple grills off a single outlet.

The only downside to this conversion is that you have to re-purpose the screw on fitting from the OE regulator in order to interface with the grill. That means the stock regulator is no longer useable therefore if you ever wanted to hook the grill up to bottles for some reason you'd either need another working regulator or disassemble your quick release cable to restore the borrowed fitting.
I was going to say - I've been unable to find an off the shelf solution to connect the road trip. We ended up just buying an extra regulator from Coleman and converting it to avoid having to disassemble/reassemble the regulator if we wanted to use the grill on the boat.
cjelliott81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #13
Cbrez

Gas? Common man, switch to charcoal and wash away your worries. You have time for at least two more beers when using charcoal 😀

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:13 AM   #14
crash

I am with you cbrez charcoal ,But we carry a gas grill just for those times when you what something quick
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote