Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #1
Elk4me

Question Moisture under bed in outside access storage

In my Montana Mountaineer we have a storage under the bed which is a slider. It is accessed from the outside and separated from the inside underbed storage by just a piece of plywood as near as I can tell. We get moisture in the outside compartment which is a concern. We have used drier granules and they get used up pretty fast. My potential solution is to install upper and lower vents on both sides of the bed in the common wall between the compartment and the bedroom. To reduce the heat loss potential I intend to install the pink foam board insulation on the sides and the inside of the access door. I believe by having the two upper and two lower vents it would allow air movement to allow the compartment to breath.
Any thoughts on this or pros/cons that I may not have thought of?
2011 Open Range Roamer 281FL
2013 Chev Silverado 6.6 Duramax
Elk4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk4me View Post
We get moisture in the outside compartment which is a concern. ?
Are there any signs of leakage around the exterior compartment/storage door? Have you checked the seal and the caulking around the door to make sure they are in good condition?

It would seem that you first need to find the source of the moisture in the outside compartment - otherwise, any repairs or modifications you make by adding vents and insulation may not solve the problem.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #3
Elk4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Are there any signs of leakage around the exterior compartment/storage door? Have you checked the seal and the caulking around the door to make sure they are in good condition?

It would seem that you first need to find the source of the moisture in the outside compartment - otherwise, any repairs or modifications you make by adding vents and insulation may not solve the problem.
There is no evidence of leaking around the door. The carpet in the bottom is not wet, the inside of the door frame stays dry even in the downpours that we have experienced in Washington State this past winter. It appears to be just condensation from the rapid temperature changes we experience here. When we start traveling south into a dryer climate it may not be as bad.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
bill-e

I bet if you feel under the mattress it will feel damp. Had a similar occurrence under my mattresses in a Hybrid camper, the difference being that the mattress was over open space as opposed to a closed storage area. Our problem only occured when we were using the camper, caused by body heat on the mattresses.

I think you need a moisture barrier and/or insulation.

If the underside of the mattress is damp as well, I would try some hard foam board insulation under the mattress, or even a plastic sheet under the mattress. My theory is that he board should stop the moisture both inside and out while the plastic would only affect the storage area. Experimentation might reveal that you need both to solve the problem.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #5
Elk4me

Bill-e,
I will check that also, thanks. I am going to insulate the storage compartment as best I can and get some conditioned air circulating to it. I have seen what a roof will do sometimes when there is freezing weather and the heat from the attic will produce condensation. It can cause lots of problems. If my vent holes don't cure the problem, I can always plug the holes, but I may use one to run a cord through for an air dryer.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
gearhead

Maybe try a radiant barrier under the mattress, like a survival blanket. Cheap and easy first shot at it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Just so I understand. You where asked about a storage door or frame leaking and you said you checked the carpet. Is Keystone putting carpet in the storage area flooring. I thought it was only vinyl flooring.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:08 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Just so I understand. You where asked about a storage door or frame leaking and you said you checked the carpet. Is Keystone putting carpet in the storage area flooring. I thought it was only vinyl flooring.
Different brands likely use different floor coverings (based on "grade of trailer"). My Springdale had vinyl, my Cougar XLite has a woven automotive carpet that's similar to the trunk carpet in cars. I've seen indoor/outdoor carpet in some models. I don't think Keystone has any "one specific product" they use across the field of trailers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

Ok, thanks. When we looked keystone 5ers and TTs in 2013 new and used. I do not remember any with carpet but, I looked at so many I do not remember what models.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #10
Elk4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Yes, it is the same piece of carpet that the bed sits on on the slideout. One piece covers the whole floor of the slideout, the bed frame sits on it with the inside under bed storage and the outside access under bed storage separated by a piece of plywood.
I have decided to put a vent in and possibly a 12v computer fan to move air around. I haven't decided whether to just vent it outside or use the fan to force conditioned air into the storage space. My concern there would be the possibility of the conditioned warm air causing even more condensation therefore defeating the purpose. May both would work, conditioned air in and a vent to the outside also.
Decisions, decisions!