Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
Sbroyles6

Flimsy LP door

Just searching for ideas,, we are new and have a new Cougar 5th wheel, on the trip back from the mountains I look in mirror and seen the LP door was open and flapping in the wind,, it was closed when we took off, but figured with how flimsy it is that maybe bumps on the highway cause to come loose,, so now trying to think of ways to make it more sturdy.. any ideas???

That door and the docking door are the 2 doors that are very flimsy but at least the docking door locks by key, the rest are fine..

Sbroyles6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

First off LP compartments can not be locked. If the tab on the thumb turn isn't long enough or has the wrong shape, you can replace it. I can't say I've ever had an LP door come open.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:51 AM   #3
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
First off LP compartments can not be locked. If the tab on the thumb turn isn't long enough or has the wrong shape, you can replace it. I can't say I've ever had an LP door come open.
could it be installed backwards. Mine open to the front side so If you are moving down the road the wind would push them closed.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
Lawdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbroyles6 View Post
Just searching for ideas,, we are new and have a new Cougar 5th wheel, on the trip back from the mountains I look in mirror and seen the LP door was open and flapping in the wind,, it was closed when we took off, but figured with how flimsy it is that maybe bumps on the highway cause to come loose,, so now trying to think of ways to make it more sturdy.. any ideas???

That door and the docking door are the 2 doors that are very flimsy but at least the docking door locks by key, the rest are fine..
Mine--also brand new--did exactly the same thing on my return trip home. Mine were very loose--no tension when closed. To keep mine from opening again, we stuffed a hanky in there to increase the tension. It stayed closed fine after that.

If you look at the tabs, you'll see they're threaded and have a nut on them. I think that means there's room for some adjustment there and I bet that can be adjusted to increase the tension on them when in 'closed' position. Once the snow melts and I can work on mine, I will post up again when I can figure a solution... For comparison, the door opposite where the battery sits has the same style I think and it was closed snugly.

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
could it be installed backwards. Mine open to the front side so If you are moving down the road the wind would push them closed.
randy
There doesn't seem to be any consistency on which way propane compartment doors open. I've seen them both ways but I see no reason why a person couldn't flip the whole door and jamb.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
vampress_me

It could also be that your door latches are like ours. On the battery compartment (passenger side) the latches turned up to open. On the propane door (driver's side) they used the same latches, but now being on the opposite side, the same latch piece points down when in open position. So, gravity and bumps in the road would open our propane door while I was driving. I thought it was the flimsy door at first too, flexing enough to open. But, nope, latch was just "falling down" on the job. So, to fix I unscrewed the nut on the inside of the door, and rotated the latch piece itself so it now would rotate up to open instead of rotating down to open, and then screwed the nut back on tight. Haven't had a problem since, and that was about 5,000 miles ago. The only difference you can see on ours now is the battery compartment thumb latches on the exterior are vertical when latched, and the propane thumb latches on the exterior are horizontal when latched. And who cares since the door stays shut.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Sounds like a simple fix. Thanks for sharing

Old 12-24-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
squeak93

My Driver side lp door came open 2 separate times on my last outing. We took the latch off and manipulated it (Hit with a hammer to bend it more lol). It was good the entire trip home and seems to latch "tighter" than before.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #9
Sbroyles6

Thank you all for the ideas,, once i get time to get back to storage area and look at it, I will try these ideas..

Sbroyles6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:44 PM   #10
Lawdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
It could also be that your door latches are like ours. On the battery compartment (passenger side) the latches turned up to open. On the propane door (driver's side) they used the same latches, but now being on the opposite side, the same latch piece points down when in open position. So, gravity and bumps in the road would open our propane door while I was driving. I thought it was the flimsy door at first too, flexing enough to open. But, nope, latch was just "falling down" on the job. So, to fix I unscrewed the nut on the inside of the door, and rotated the latch piece itself so it now would rotate up to open instead of rotating down to open, and then screwed the nut back on tight. Haven't had a problem since, and that was about 5,000 miles ago. The only difference you can see on ours now is the battery compartment thumb latches on the exterior are vertical when latched, and the propane thumb latches on the exterior are horizontal when latched. And who cares since the door stays shut.
Exactly the issue. This worked perfectly for mine. Took me almost two minutes to do.

RAM 3500 Cummins HO
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE
Lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #11
LoneLizard

LP Doors are poorly engineered

We have this problem constantly with both of our LP doors. Several "fixes" from the dealer and the problem only gets worse. Here is what we know (at least in our case):
1) The doors are a bit too narrow and don't completely fill-in the opening in which they are installed.. There is a gap between the door's edge and the molding the latch is supposed to clasp onto. For this reason, barely a 1/16" of the tip of the latch overlaps the flange in the molding. After a couple of slips off the flange, the clasp has now wore a groove in the flange and has nothing left to grip. We have tried new latches and rotating the latches with no success. We have been unable to find latches with longer arms to compensate for the additional space between the door and the molding.
2) The doors are poorly constructed. They are flimsy and bend easily. If a big gust of wind pushes the center of the door it flexes and folds just enough to angle the latch so it can slip by the molding it is supposed to clasp onto.
3) Those compartments are getting a ton of wind pressure. I tried helping the doors stay latched by attaching two bungees inside the door to help hold them shut by applying constant inward pressure. Even with this counter-force installed, there was enough wind pressure to cause the doors to flap open and closed as if the bungees were never there.

Our dealer made a claim to Keystone who said the doors were installed as designed and are not covered under warranty. We plan to appeal to Keystone since it doesn't appear to be a problem with installation/manufacture...it is a problem with the design. There is another unit on the lot with the same duct tape around the doors as we have to use to keep the doors secure for travel. Based on this thread and others around the net we believe this is a design flaw that should be covered.

A stiffer door may prevent the flex that allows the clasp to slip-by the flange (too late for ours since the flange now has a groove in it)...
A door that fits fully into the hatch opening and molding might provide enough purchase for the latch to fully function...
A longer arm on the latch might help keep the door closed even though it is flexing like crazy...(we haven't been able to find one of these longer arms)
Less wind entering the compartment might reduce the pressure so that the doors are forced open so violently...
Pullrite Superglide 16k
LoneLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:56 PM   #12
Bowti

Pete, is it possible to put spacers on your door hinges to move the door over allowing your latch to catch?

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

The problem with a stiffer door is trying to find a "better built" door that is the same size and that will fit the opening in your trailer. I don't know if you (or your dealer) will be able to locate a door that fits and is "stronger"....

Relying on the dealership to fix this may become a "nightmare" depending on how far you have to tow it for service, how long they "hold it ransom" before working on it and whether or not Keystone and the dealership are even on the same page with your problem.

Alternatively, you might consider riveting a couple of 1x2 strips of 1/8" thick aluminum stock across the inside of the door (from side to side) near the latches. That may give your door enough rigidity to prevent it from flexing and allow the cam locks to stay "locked" behind the frame. Anything you do on the inside of the door won't be visible, so use your "ingenuity" to strengthen the door.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote