Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #1
Nuke

Sewer Question

I had to give this one a few days so I could type without laughing....

We camped in a state park last week. While sitting in the easy chair with a cup-o-joe, I watched the neighbor while he broke down his rig. While dumping his black tank, a small brown geyser erupted. Within a few seconds, the hose gave way and he was dumping his black tank directly to the ground. While he scrambled to get the valve shut (and getting wet up to his knees), I almost wet myself laughing (yeah, I was laughing at him, not with him.... ). When he finally got the flow stopped, he reconnected the hose and continued to dump his tanks, then packed up and left as if nothing happened (and yes, I did see him wash his hands!).

There is a point to this - what is the proper action to take when you 'spew the brown goo' all over the ground? I know it happens (seen it for myself ) but never really gave it any thought as to what to do if it ever happens to me (fingers crossed!). Surely there must be something that should be done. The camp host was totally clueless, so I have to ask the experts. Any suggestions?

Sarcastic comments welcome too!

John
Sophie and Chloe (mini Schnauzers)
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Reminds me of the scene from RV with Robin Williams. Makes me appreciate my Rhino sewer hose even more.

As far as protocol, they really should have said something to the park manager so it could be properly taken care of before the next camper arrives.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
Nuke

Sewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Reminds me of the scene from RV with Robin Williams. Makes me appreciate my Rhino sewer hose even more.

As far as protocol, they really should have said something to the park manager so it could be properly taken care of before the next camper arrives.

Yes, that scene has ran through my mind many times since last week!

I did leave a message for the head ranger, but I didn't get a chance to get his response. I didn't see anyone from the park at the site, so I was just curious. I know this must happen frequently.

X2 on the Rhino!!
Sophie and Chloe (mini Schnauzers)
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
gkainz

set the special sea and anchor detail, call out the decontamination team, dog down all unnecessary hatches and activate all freshwater wash-down stations!
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
Pull Toy

gkainz... you forgot Set Condition Yoke, but Bravo Zulu to you sir!

NUKE... Welcome Aboard! Thanks for your service, and excellent choice of travelling companions! Emma and Ava say "HI!"

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
CFDfireman90

I would say copious amounts of water. As they say in the hazardous materials field, "the solution to pollution is dilution."
CFDfireman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
apachewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
I had to give this one a few days so I could type without laughing....

We camped in a state park last week. While sitting in the easy chair with a cup-o-joe, I watched the neighbor while he broke down his rig. While dumping his black tank, a small brown geyser erupted. Within a few seconds, the hose gave way and he was dumping his black tank directly to the ground. While he scrambled to get the valve shut (and getting wet up to his knees), I almost wet myself laughing (yeah, I was laughing at him, not with him.... ). When he finally got the flow stopped, he reconnected the hose and continued to dump his tanks, then packed up and left as if nothing happened (and yes, I did see him wash his hands!).

There is a point to this - what is the proper action to take when you 'spew the brown goo' all over the ground? I know it happens (seen it for myself ) but never really gave it any thought as to what to do if it ever happens to me (fingers crossed!). Surely there must be something that should be done. The camp host was totally clueless, so I have to ask the experts. Any suggestions?

Sarcastic comments welcome too!

John
Ir has happened to most of us. We normally carry a 1 gallon jug of Chlorine for the same reason. If the accident happens we spray the area with a strong solution of water/chlorine, that should take care of any nasty bacteria.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #8
cathcartww

.... retired wastewater operator/engineer hear, and am licensed to deal with this stuff on a large scale. The proper procedure depends on what kind of soil conditions are at the site. The campground/park should have an established procedure for sewage spills. It is not really a big deal in the quantities we are talking about, but it still needs to be done properly. If the soil is sandy and porous, that is your best bet - dilute with plenty of fresh water until all evidence of solid material is gone - pick up big chunks or toilet paper and dispose of in a plastic bag in trash. Disinfect the area by spreading a weak solution of bleach and water over the area. An alternative treatment is to spread some lime around, but that is usually a second choice when people are going to be around.
If the surface is more clay and solid, and the liquid wants to run off rather than soak in, the correct procedure should be to prevent runoff by making a dam with dirt or whatever is handy. Soak up, or suck up any surface liquid with an absorbent material (like sand or sawdust), or vac it up with a shop vac. Once all liquid has been removed, disinfect with bleach or lime.
Be ready - it happens!

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
theeyres

I gotta admit this has happened to me. Once I got things under control I just took my hose and washed everything down the best I could. I figured if I diluted all the mess down it would be OK. Can't say if it is right or wrong...but we do what we can do. Sure didn't report it...too embarrased.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #10
mikell

We usually dump tanks on the way into camp so everything has had a chance to work about. That said we stayed at a place a couple of years ago for a month and one of the lawn guys whacked our sewer line and kept moving.

A few days later I pulled the valve and walked away it had worked fine and I wanted to flush things out. In the end I had 30 gallons of black and I don't know how much grey before I caught it. I was not happy.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:53 AM   #11
Desert185

That is an embarrassment and generally a shi**y experience I try to avoid by using a Rhino hose, ensuring that the hose is firmly attached at both ends and closely monitoring the initial pull on the poo lever. Once the black tank is drained I'll pull the gray and let myself be distracted from the process.

A poo spill needs to be tended to by the spiller (if nothing else, as an accountability lesson for the urchins in attendance) and reported to the camp manager if its a big spill. At least that's what I would do as a common sense protocol.

I do have to admit that some of the best entertainment at a campground can be at the dump station. Upwind and at a safe distance, of course.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #12
Pmedic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
That is an embarrassment and generally a shi**y experience ....

I do have to admit that some of the best entertainment at a campground can be at the dump station. Upwind and at a safe distance, of course.
I resemble that remark... Several RV's ago, had a small TT that we had taken on many trips, and took it out one time and noticed the dreaded smell - of course, at first thought it was just that the TT had set closed up for a few weeks. We noticed the BW tank lights showed it full, but given the usual issues didn't think much about it. Had our weekend, so we packed it up, and headed to the dump station. Get there, hook up hose and pull the BW dump handle and nothing.... Go to put some water into the toilet, and it's full, right up to the toilet. Oh poop! There is a clog right about the valve. Fortunately, or un-fortunately depending upon your view I was able to reach up there and clear the blockage, of course not without spilling some on the ground. Didn't dump all of it on the ground, but it wasn't fun. Able to drain most of it, and then worked at clearing the remainders of the blockage and flushing with copious amount of water.

I still hear about this story from the family, and I'm honorable mention for highlights of the Movie 'RV'.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #13
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
I resemble that remark... Several RV's ago, had a small TT that we had taken on many trips, and took it out one time and noticed the dreaded smell - of course, at first thought it was just that the TT had set closed up for a few weeks. We noticed the BW tank lights showed it full, but given the usual issues didn't think much about it. Had our weekend, so we packed it up, and headed to the dump station. Get there, hook up hose and pull the BW dump handle and nothing.... Go to put some water into the toilet, and it's full, right up to the toilet. Oh poop! There is a clog right about the valve. Fortunately, or un-fortunately depending upon your view I was able to reach up there and clear the blockage, of course not without spilling some on the ground. Didn't dump all of it on the ground, but it wasn't fun. Able to drain most of it, and then worked at clearing the remainders of the blockage and flushing with copious amount of water.

I still hear about this story from the family, and I'm honorable mention for highlights of the Movie 'RV'.
"Reach up there and clear the blockage." That calls for an OMG. You're a better man than me. I would have exhausted every other creative option before that one. I vote you Dump Station Man of the Year.

I'm not worthy...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumping, sewer, waste