Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
IMASAP

Sewer, Water Hose, Coax Length Recommendations

OK, so we have reservations to camp in a private campground next weekend. Our first time.... we always dry camp. I'm trying to prepare myself and make sure we are properly set up for the experience. In general, is 25 feet of everything long enough ? I realize there will be exceptions. The campground has cable, so I will make sure I have a coax along with the hoses. Any warnings for me ? Do most of you carry more than 25 feet?

Thanks !
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
therink

I always carry about 150 water hose (you never know), 25' power cord (OEM cord) plus extra 25' 30amp ext cord. Coax about 100' but I have a dish.
Extra cord and hoses aren't real expensive, are light and should always be prepared for unknown.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #3
hankaye

IMASAP, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASAP View Post
OK, so we have reservations to camp in a private campground next weekend. Our first time.... we always dry camp. I'm trying to prepare myself and make sure we are properly set up for the experience. In general, is 25 feet of everything long enough ? I realize there will be exceptions. The campground has cable, so I will make sure I have a coax along with the hoses. Any warnings for me ? Do most of you carry more than 25 feet?

Thanks !
Call the campground and ask ...
Generally they (all of the utilities), are within a reasonable distance.

Sewer, I keep a 10' extra section never needed it ...yet. I carry several
sections of roof gutter to rest the sewer hose in, some blocks of wood to
create a 'slope' to the hole in the ground and good to go. I have them cut
into 6 & 4 foot lengths, over lap the ends and you have a grand channel.
I try to use only what is needed as cleaning extra long lengths of sewer
hose isn't high up on my favorites list of fun thing to do while camping.

Water, extra lengths in 25' sections are a good idea how many is up to you.

Coax, 100' will work fine even if the dish is right outside the door.

You'll figure it out...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
KanTC

IMASAP,

I think our cable/coax is approx 25 ft [although we also carry a shorter one too], but there's only been one occasion in the past umpteen years that we've needed more than 25 ft.

We always carry an extra 10 ft sewer hose (and connectors); plus an extra 25 ft fresh water hose... as Steve said, "ya never know".

DON'T FORGET your water pressure regulator for the water faucet! Other items that "some" RV Parks require is a rubber sewer donut and/or a sewer slinky. If your destination park has a website, you might check their Rules/Guidelines to see if they have any requirements.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:

Thanks !
I carry 100' of the white, drinking water grade hose: 50', 25', 15', and a couple of shorty m-m and f-f pieces so I can connect to my water filter when needed. I would not add to that again as we never drink the water. See next paragraph.

150' of regular garden hose goes when we dry camp in the Adirondacks so we can reach the water spigots that are every third or fourth site way. We never drink the water anyway so it's just showers and such.

50 amp cable is 35', we have a 50 to 30 dogbone, and 30 feet of m-f 30 amp cable plus 50' and 100' of heavy duty 15 amp cords. We use the generator, and the 100' on a reel lets me place the gennie where it doesn't bother anyone.

I have a 10' sewer hose that I just rebuilt. I also just purchased 20' (two 10' sections) of Camco Revolution hose with swivel connectors. I also have several of the see-through 45 degree fittings so I can verify when the black and gray are flushing clear. I picked up the Revolution set in anticipation of a fall trip from upstate NY to Disney in Orlando. The trip has been set aside for now.

Like hankaye, I carry a bunch of plastic gutter and 4" thin wall drain pipe sliced in half lengthwise plus blocks for support. I NEVER let the hoses touch anything but the plastic. It pains me to watch folks toss their sewer hoses on the concrete pads at the dump station. Concrete is abrasive, folks!! The older 10' hose goes in a small plastic tote. The new stuff is all in a 7' section of vinyl fence post. I will post my notes and pics of that project in a separate thread.

I also have a small trash pump and 100' of garden hose that is used for nothing but draining the gray tanks via the pump. Handy for dry camping when I want to fill the 32 gallon blue tote for a trip to the dump station.

Some of this stuff I accumulated over many years, and with the larger trailer, I just keep it all on board except for the 150' reel of garden hose which does regular duty around the house.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:55 AM   #6
GmaPaTime

Quote:
Thanks !
Agree with all above comments, that it's always better to be prepared. Just a few months ago we visited a CG where 25' (2x10' + 5') of sewer hose was not enough and we were lucky that we were able to borrow a section. We now carry another section. You just never know sometimes...

Steve
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 06:39 AM   #7
cw3jason

I carry 2 of everything. Just recently bought 50ft of coax. Last 2 sites I was on 25 was to short

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:07 AM   #8
Javi

40' of sewer hose (4-10' sections), 30' and 25' power cord (50a) 4- 25' drinking water hoses and a 10' for the filter, and 2-25' garden hoses for clean-up. along with various dogbones I've accumulated over the years.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:56 AM   #9
IMASAP

Thanks for the advice everyone. Honestly, I'm a little bit surprised by the need for 40' of sewer hose. I'll have to build up to that I guess.

I'll make sure I start out with 2 25' water hoses as a minimum.

50' of coax also.

Got a pressure regulator already, good thought.

Hadn't given a lot of thought to extra 30a cord, but another great suggestion. I suppose in the grand scheme of things, it isn't that expensive.
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:23 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. Honestly, I'm a little bit surprised by the need for 40' of sewer hose. I'll have to build up to that I guess.

I'll make sure I start out with 2 25' water hoses as a minimum.

50' of coax also.

Got a pressure regulator already, good thought.

Hadn't given a lot of thought to extra 30a cord, but another great suggestion. I suppose in the grand scheme of things, it isn't that expensive.
The 40' of sewer hose started when we stayed at a park where the sewer dump, electric panel and water was located 10' behind the end of the pad, and me having a 38' trailer with the connection for the sewer up at the front.. Because it was full hook-ups I had left the dumpette at home... So in order to dump the grey water that wee I had to go buy more hose.. I use to only carry 15'... It's light and I bought the Rhino which accordions to about 3' for storage.. Good tough hose.. I'll never buy anything else..
Old 07-31-2015, 02:21 PM   #11
Bob Landry

Two sections of white water hose, three sections of sewer hose. I have never had to use more than two at a time, but I have had to replace one in a campground when the connector pulled off. I also carry hose repair kits. There's little more irritating than getting sprayed with water from a pin hole in your water hose. I carry two 30A power cords since I have two 30A service in my Outback. I also carry a 30A extension cord for each of them.
Four bags of Lynx blocks. I'm phasing out the heavy plywood pads that I have been using for 4 years. I also carry a spare propane regulator but no extra pigtails. I can limp by on one propane tank and the odds of both pigtails to the regulator going bad are pretty slim. Also a collection of electrical connectors, wire stripper/crimp tool, LP gas teflon tape, and some other stuff but I don't remember everything. It really adds up.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote