Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
IA-Outdoors

Tires advice

I've got a 2015 Silverado I use to pull a 2920BH. I bought the pick-up used with 22" tires that are pretty but worthless for towing so I'm making the upgrade before we travel from Central Iowa to South Dakota this summer. This is all new to me but I'm curious if I really need a 10-ply tire or not and, if so, should I go with 18" or 17". From there I feel pretty confident I can find wheels to pair up with it. Obviously, if there other things I need to consider with the tire purchase let me know. In the end I care most about safety and I want to be sure the tires I pick can handle a long, hot trip.
IA-Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #2
bsmith0404

You need a tire with the load rating to match your truck. I believe that will be a 10 ply (maybe 8). Do not go with a tire with a combined load rating that does not match what your truck/axle can carry. Your rear axle should have a 6k lb weight rating, that means at least a 3k lb tire.

As for 17 vs 18, both will work fine. Depending on options, both are an OE size. My experience is that an 18" tire and wheel combo will cost a bit more, but that is changing as the size becomes more common.

One thing I look for is warranty. I run Michelin LTX M/S2 tires because of the 70k mile warranty. They do cost a bit more than some others, but when you compare the 70k vs a 50k tread life expectation to cost, they are actually cheaper per mile and perform very well towing in any condition, rain, snow, mud, ice, dry.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Remember that most 1/2 tons have tires made for comfort of the ride and not towing or only light towing. Get enough tire to do the job, they will ride rougher than "p" type tires but, that's what heavy duty towing/max wt. carrying tires will do.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:09 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA-Outdoors View Post
I've got a 2015 Silverado I use to pull a 2920BH. I bought the pick-up used with 22" tires that are pretty but worthless for towing so I'm making the upgrade before we travel from Central Iowa to South Dakota this summer. This is all new to me but I'm curious if I really need a 10-ply tire or not and, if so, should I go with 18" or 17". From there I feel pretty confident I can find wheels to pair up with it. Obviously, if there other things I need to consider with the tire purchase let me know. In the end I care most about safety and I want to be sure the tires I pick can handle a long, hot trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Remember that most 1/2 tons have tires made for comfort of the ride and not towing or only light towing. Get enough tire to do the job, they will ride rougher than "p" type tires but, that's what heavy duty towing/max wt. carrying tires will do.

For some reason I assumed you had a 2500. After reviewing the posts I realized you never said if it was a 1500 or 2500. That changes everything significantly from my original reply as far as weight limits on the rear axle. A little more info on your TV would be better.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

IMO 22" wheel/tire combos on a half or 3/4 ton are for nothing more than looks; certainly not towing anything substantial. They can't carry a load properly plus ride/handling suffer. I like a good bit of sidewall on my truck tires.

If you have a 3/4 ton hd you probably have 10 ply tires - go back with that. If it's a half ton upgrade to LT tires with a weight rating that gives you a good margin of safety over the loads you expect. Also keep in mind that if it is a half ton your trailer will weigh 7200 loaded and has a dry hitch weight of 625 so you will be putting a pretty good load on it.

As far as wheel/tire size 17 and 18 are both good. I think tire selection, from my experience, for 17s is greater.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015, 2920bh, silverado