Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
nevlarry

Noisy Furnace

The heater on our 2014 Cougar 277RL is so loud we can't hear the TV even with the sound turned almost max. I'm pretty sure it is a Suburban furnace and it seems to be working as designed. I've read a couple articles that suggest adding sound proofing material to the furnace enclosure walls.
Anyone have other ideas. We are actually thinking about adding headphone jacks to the Jensen sound system but that seems lame to have to wear headphones to ear over a relatively new product.
nevlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Are you sure there isn't something wrong with the fan or something?

I have a '14 Cougar High Country 319RLS and I don't have much trouble hearing our TV/Jensen system when it's running - it's quieter than the 15k AC overhead.

I had one years ago and the blower had some kind of misalignment problem and it sure made a racket and they had to replace the heater. Maybe it's something along that line. Having to use headphones due to heater noise isn't doesn't sound right.

If yours is like mine you can also set the sound system to play the TV thru the roof speakers....that might help.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
theeyres

The furnace has been very loud in every RV we have ever owned. You might be able to cover all exposed parts of the furnace in it's little box and quiet it down. But those fans are loud. That's why I always use a little box heater whenever I'm hooked up to electricity.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
Mike L123

These are definitely very loud furnaces. We often have to turn the volume up on the TV to hear it over the roar. It's also very intrusive when we have company over in the evening and it's too cold to sit outdoors (yeah, were in Canada, eh). Not really much can be done about it. This is the first that I have read about sound deadening the heater box - I'm not sure about the effectiveness of this. Regardless, DO NOT do anything that will block the air intake or reduce its effective rate of air intake.

Cheers!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevlarry View Post
The heater on our 2014 Cougar 277RL is so loud we can't hear the TV even with the sound turned almost max. I'm pretty sure it is a Suburban furnace and it seems to be working as designed. I've read a couple articles that suggest adding sound proofing material to the furnace enclosure walls.
Anyone have other ideas. We are actually thinking about adding headphone jacks to the Jensen sound system but that seems lame to have to wear headphones to ear over a relatively new product.
We use a portable oil radiant heater in our trailer. We have two, one in the living area and one in our bedroom. They work very well and make "NO" noise at all. At night we preheat the bedroom then drop the temperature down to about 60 F . We set the furnace to about 50F to keep the furnace from coming on but does not let the trailer get too cold. We do not leave the living area heater on at night.

Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
HappyCamperMN

We purchased an oil radiant heater as well. Have used it at home during this past winter but not yet in the trailer. Seems like that will be a great solution as I don't consider our furnace overly loud, but it does occasionally wake the wife when running at night.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
huhhhhh

I just picked up a 2012 Fuzion 405 and was appalled how loud the heater is. It does blow hot air but I refuse to believe this is normal. If I was looking at buying from a dealer and heard that I would walk away in a heart beat, total deal breaker.
See also: Wizard, Magician.

2012 Fuzion 405
huhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Further Clarification

Just wondering if it is the furnace itself (the propane lighting, regular furnace noises of burning) or the fan that is causing the noise. The fan should make the noise whenever it is turned on. The furnace will of course only be when it is running or preparing to run.

You may get more help in the Repairs and Maintenance section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhhhhh View Post
I just picked up a 2012 Fuzion 405 and was appalled how loud the heater is. It does blow hot air but I refuse to believe this is normal. If I was looking at buying from a dealer and heard that I would walk away in a heart beat, total deal breaker.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #9
huhhhhh

I think it sounds like a wood chipper

2012 Fuzion 405
Old 03-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Having been around a lot of wood chippers I would say you have a definite problem.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #11
gkainz

Wood chipper? Yikes? Maybe styrofoam chunks hitting the fan?
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:24 PM   #12
Steve S

The first things that I've always checked when buying an RV is the furnace and the AC. If either of them are loud then I walk away. If you can't have a conversation while either of them are running then it would annoy the hel$ out of me.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
The first things that I've always checked when buying an RV is the furnace and the AC. If either of them are loud then I walk away. If you can't have a conversation while either of them are running then it would annoy the hel$ out of me.
Now, now. When I talk my wife says I talk loud anyway so the noise of the AC or furnace dims it down a bit. Then if she's talking I can't hear so it's a win win......... Just kidding; we've got 50 years this year and I love every word she says.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #14
huhhhhh

So I found access to the furnace by removing the sub woofer and left side wood louver vent. That thing is so out of balance when you hold your hand against the side of the unit you cant keep it from bouncing off the surface. IMO this has to be covered under the extended warranty. If left running like this I'm sure it will shake itself apart in no time. The TH was mostly in a hot climate where the AC was used way more than the heater if it was used at all.

Anyone ever feel the side of their heater unit while running?

2012 Fuzion 405
Old 03-23-2017, 06:40 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

If the furnace is "functioning" I wouldn't count on extended warranty to cover it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #16
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
So I found access to the furnace by removing the sub woofer and left side wood louver vent. That thing is so out of balance when you hold your hand against the side of the unit you cant keep it from bouncing off the surface. IMO this has to be covered under the extended warranty. If left running like this I'm sure it will shake itself apart in no time. The TH was mostly in a hot climate where the AC was used way more than the heater if it was used at all.

Anyone ever feel the side of their heater unit while running?
Interesting, can you see into the blower area? may have something on the squirrel cage like a homesteader especially if you think it was not used that often. Sounds like you have a lot of interesting projects going on

We have been chasing that sub woofer around over the years Front of entertainment center, then gone?? Oh, here it is behind fireplace, gone?? Found it behind the steps, then Gone for good, introduce Sound Bar.

Interesting concept though, have a noisy furnace, no problem turn up the base

Good Luck on your many projects
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

The squirrel cage could have something in it, the bearings could be shot or a number of other things. One of the mounts for the shaft that the cage spins on could have come loose.

I was visiting with my service manager the other day (CW) about an issue we are working on and how extended warranty would come into play. He said it is all in what they find and how they convey it. If it is a part "failure" that falls under coverage they might pay all or part of it. If it's something that's "out of alignment", "loose" this or that, "broken" xyz; then they probably wouldn't pay for it.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #18
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

When it comes down to extended warranties my experience as with others it comes down to quality of the company you pick. As stated in previous posts many dealers will not do service work under various extended warranties. Have to admit most of it depends on how the dealer tech writes up the problem, very critical as to what is covered. This all goes back to your relationship with the dealer and their staff. If they are on your side it makes things much easier!! On my last experience using my extended warranty even the dealer was actually surprised when the warranty company authorized more things to be replaced in the surrounding area to avoid possible re occurrence.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #19
huhhhhh

My fear is that a rat crawled in there and died and is throwing out the balance of the wheel. No smell though so that's probable not the case. I'm going to try and get it out and pull some panels of and see if I can see any clues inside.

It is amazing how many little issues there are picking up a used rig. At only 4/5 years old I would have expected better. Still a nice rig though, just gotta get it all buttoned up.

2012 Fuzion 405
Old 03-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #20
heiserk0410

Quote:
I had the same thing in my travel trailer we owned years ago. What I found out was that small birds had entered through the exhaust while parked outside not being used in the early spring and tried building a nest in the fan. Had many small twigs which I had to pull out. After that, I installed the Insect Screens and never had a problem after that. A little over $10 from Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42141-F...ust+vent+cover

Good Luck!
heiserk0410 is offline   Reply With Quote