Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
NotyetMHCowner

Problem with Cable slides

We were set to pick up our Montana High Country on Friday and got a call today that ALL campers with a certain brand cable slide has been put on hold. The cable manufacturer has halted all production of every camper until they figure out a solution. Apparently it affects a lot of new campers. That's all I was told.

I guess it is better that they found this out now instead of after I drove there (6 hours) or at a campground somewhere and the slide not work.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Interesting. I wonder if it affects all of the keystone lines using cable system for slides.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Interesting. I wonder if it affects all of the keystone lines using cable system for slides.
I wouldn't be surprised. They never seem to test anything any more before it hits the market. They just throw it out there and wait until someone complains or if fails miserably, then they fix it. Seems to be the "ready, fire, aim" principle in practice.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:22 AM   #4
GmaPaTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
chuckster57...

Can you find this out for us and what exactly is the problem.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:42 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I will try.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:23 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyetMHCowner View Post
We were set to pick up our Montana High Country on Friday and got a call today that ALL campers with a certain brand cable slide has been put on hold. The cable manufacturer has halted all production of every camper until they figure out a solution. Apparently it affects a lot of new campers. That's all I was told.

I guess it is better that they found this out now instead of after I drove there (6 hours) or at a campground somewhere and the slide not work.
I'm puzzled by your comments as they relate to timing of your delivery. It sounds as if your dealership is saying that "factory production of ALL campers with a certain brand of cable slide has been put on hold"

With the delivery scheduled for Friday, your trailer should have already been "sitting on the dealership lot" for at least several days to weeks. On Wednesday, when you got the call, it should have been either already in the service area with the PDI being performed or scheduled for the PDI that day (Wednesday).

Is it possible that he is saying that your trailer has not yet been delivered to him? Is it even sitting on the dealer's lot??? Unless it is on the assembly line floor, any hold on building trailers wouldn't affect your unit.....

There have been no announcements of Keystone "holding up sales of units already delivered," so why the dealership told you that "keystone stopped the sale" is a puzzle.

If I had to guess, I'd suspect that the dealership is behind in deliveries and rather than tell you that they are "rescheduling your delivery because they are behind", they are using Keystone as an excuse.

Possibly your dealer is "holding" your trailer with expectations that there will be a "recall or service bulletin" ??? It may be weeks or months before Keystone decides (if they ever do decide) to repair units that have already been built and delivered to dealer lots. A "industry wide hold on production" because of a technical problem wouldn't include units on the sales floor unless it also included "recently delivered units" and nobody has heard of or received a recall covering any of those units. It sounds "fishy" to me that your sale would be "on hold" and the other hundreds scheduled for delivery this week aren't in the same status???????

Something just doesn't "quite fit" with the information you've provided. I'd want more information from the dealer if it were my unit.....

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:40 AM   #7
gilpinbrewer

Interesting. These cable slides have been around since late 08 so these are not something really new.
Here is a link to the mfg. http://www.norcoind.com/bal/products...de/index.shtml

Maybe it is worth a call to them directly to see if there really is an issue or the dealer is not being honest.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:54 AM   #8
NotyetMHCowner

I agree, I thought they had already picked up my camper and did their own "dealer prep" for a few days. But he told me they sent their truck drivers to pick up the units and they were told at the factory about the hold. I contacted Keystone directly a week or two ago and was told my unit was already completed and awaiting delivery.

I don't know if the dealer is behind or not. When I have talked to them, they have not been real busy lately, so I would assume there shouldn't be a problem picking up the unit. He told me the hold on the cable slides affects three different brands of units he is dealing with.

Trucks:
Old 03-19-2015, 06:49 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotyetMHCowner View Post
I agree, I thought they had already picked up my camper and did their own "dealer prep" for a few days. But he told me they sent their truck drivers to pick up the units and they were told at the factory about the hold. I contacted Keystone directly a week or two ago and was told my unit was already completed and awaiting delivery.
I don't know if the dealer is behind or not. When I have talked to them, they have not been real busy lately, so I would assume there shouldn't be a problem picking up the unit. He told me the hold on the cable slides affects three different brands of units he is dealing with.
The part in red is "interesting" to say the least..... I'd have to ask why any business would "send drivers to pick up a unit" unless they knew it was ready for pickup. Once it's sitting in the holding area awaiting pickup, it's already the "dealer's unit" and Keystone wouldn't stop delivery. And, if Keystone told you it was built and awaiting transportation, they wouldn't pull it back to the assembly line and place it on hold...... I wouldn't imagine any dealership would "just send someone on a trip" unless they were certain that the trailer was ready for them to bring back. ???? It just doesn't add up that a business would spend that kind of money to pay workers to go pick it up without knowing the status and that it was available. Status doesn't change because of a "hold on manufacturing" after a unit is built ????

This doesn't sound like a manufacturing or even a slide problem, rather somewhere, either in delivery, pickup, transportation or ???? The dealer isn't able to get your RV to their lot???? Or they have it, but can't get to it yet??? I'd be making calls to find out what's really going on, and I'm pretty darn sure it's not "on hold at Keystone for a slide issue"......

There's a "Paul Harvey moment" in the works when you find "the rest of the story"........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:11 AM   #10
NotyetMHCowner

I wish I could find out something. We ordered this camper on October 29, so we are just about at our wits end waiting on this thing.

Trucks:
Old 03-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #11
NotyetMHCowner

Its funny that my local dealer has a new model in stock and a little further down the road another dealer has two of them in stock PROBABLY AFTER I ORDERED MINE!!

Im getting madder by the minute!

Trucks:
Old 03-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #12
NotyetMHCowner

Called my dealer and he verified everything to me and gave the number to his Keystone rep. I called BAL RV Products, makes the Accu-Slide, and they do have a recall on 8 screws that were used in the cable systems that are brittle and need replaced. They are sending the packets out to all the dealers for them to replace. Apparently, the units that are still at Keystone will be fixed buy them. My dealer said they would not even let him have it or the other brands that are affected. I don't know what models or years that are affected.

He said had he gone the day before to pick it up, they would have let him have it. But because he was there after the known problem, they have put a hold on all the models.

Trucks:
Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #13
slow

Sounds like Keystone made the right call to hold deliveries IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Our warranty rep emailed Keystone first thing this AM. As of this moment no answer.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #15
tirnanah

I'll be interested in this as well... I already had the gear box on my kitchen slide go out (within a month of owning the trailer) and don't really want any of the cables snapping out now! I know how much tension can be on them...
tirnanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #16
Good Boy Sam

I would also be Interested to know about cables. I just picked up our new Cougar xlite 28 sgs about 2 weeks ago,spent 4 nights in it,I did notice the Front slide in bedroom had cables I have used it several times, I hope it holds up.
Good Boy Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Never got an answer. Don't work Fridays so it may be Monday before I can post.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #18
rschad

My trailer has the accu slide system as well, 2012 Vantage. If you read the manual they note that the most common, virtually only cause of failure is poor installation so the cables rub and eventually shear. That of course would be separate from units having bad bolts etc.
There are videos on line of how to replace the cables and the kit to do so.

I do check the cables often when I am setting up just to be sure and after 3 years of use no problems at all.
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #19
NotyetMHCowner

I still haven't heard anything.

Yea, the only problems I had read about the cable slides were if the pulleys that the cables ride in were not positioned or angled just right then it would start to fray the cables. I think that would only be from poor installation though. This situation sounds to be something different. I cant believe it is taking this long though to replace eight screws per slide. I guess Im at the bottom of the waiting list once again. Oh well, DW works all this weekend so I am doing EGR delete to the truck and wouldn't be able to get it anyway. I'm trying to make myself feel better! Haha

Trucks:
Old 03-31-2015, 05:16 AM   #20
NotyetMHCowner

Found out yesterday that the dealer picked up our unit last week so we will have PDI and take possession Friday after Easter. He said Keystone had a hold of the affected units until the cable slide manufacture could inspect each unit to see if there was a problem with them. He told me he didn't think anything was actually done to my unit but he probably wouldn't know anyway.

Trucks: