Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
ronron4

Smile DVD player

have a DVD that burned out need to replace it without having to replace all the speakers in surround sound can't find a replacement without having to buy all the speakers. Any ideas? Thanks This is in a Montana 5th
ronron4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
GaryWT

We do not use the dvd player that is built into the stereo, we bought a small portable type like what we have from home. The benifit for us is the sound comes from the tv speakers and not throughout the trailer and we can easily move it to a different tv if we wish.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronron4 View Post
have a DVD that burned out need to replace it without having to replace all the speakers in surround sound can't find a replacement without having to buy all the speakers. Any ideas? Thanks This is in a Montana 5th
Now a days I would not see any reason why you would need to replace speakers when you change out the stereo unit. Ideally you want to match the output impedance of the stereo unit to the impedance of your speaker configuration. I think now these speaker systems are manufactured to match with various units. You need to also be aware of the power of the amp. and that of the speaker system
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

We don't use the dvd unit in the trailer. I bought a blu ray, dvd, wi fi external unit (Sony) so I can watch blu ray dvds and stream Netflix for the DW. Connected it to the tv and can still turn on the receiver and use the internal speakers if wanted.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We don't use the dvd unit in the trailer. I bought a blu ray, dvd, wi fi external unit (Sony) so I can watch blu ray dvds and stream Netflix for the DW. Connected it to the tv and can still turn on the receiver and use the internal speakers if wanted.
How successful have you been streaming video? Are you using camp site WIFI or cell carrier? If you use a cell carrier do you have a feel for the amount of data used on a movie?

Thanks

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
mcsearch1

Most campground wifi's don't have the band width to support streaming movies. Streaming two HD movies in one month through a cell phone hot spot will chew up most of 10 GB. I've checked this out with my carrier.
2 dogs
No sleep
mcsearch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsearch1 View Post
Most campground wifi's don't have the band width to support streaming movies. Streaming two HD movies in one month through a cell phone hot spot will chew up most of 10 GB. I've checked this out with my carrier.
Thanks, that was my concern using camp site WIFI had to ask when I heard people may be watching it. Good number to remember on cell carrier, with my package I will have to pass up the movie and sit my the fire

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-05-2015, 05:40 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I don't use my cell data allotment for video- it chews up a ton and costs a lot. Streaming a video at a campsite is iffy. We don't expect that it will work but we have found quite a few that do...some in the most unlikely places. The really fancy places may or may not have good wi fi, state parks usually not there...you just never know. We stay in a little town in FL that you would NEVER dream had the bandwidth for us to stream video but the wife watched her Netflix every night for 6 weeks. We have the blu ray/wi fi so we can use it if the service is there.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote