Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
rbev2308

Good Sams versus EasyCare extended service plan

Just pulled the trigger on new Alpine 3535RE. Picking up soon. Based on past experience, I am seriously considering some sort of extended service plan/warranty. I honestly believe that 1 or 2 major things happening is going to easy make this affordable with the one time purchase price for 5-6 years. Just curious of anyone's experience with the two I am considering or what companies you may have had good experiences with to consider. I live no where near a Camping World so local dealers it is and none are good sams preferred providers. Seems only AAMCO's in my area are and they are not touching anything....I appreciate any feedback as I peruse thru the threads on here. Thanks/Ross
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
denverpilot

Read everything they cover and read it carefully again. Most don't cover much.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Looks like you have done your homework and know what to look for. As stated I would read the contracts carefully then I would survey the dealers and independent shops in the area to see which contract providers they are willing to do work under. I have heard from some dealers that if you have an extended warranty from x or y, do not bring it here. I am sure it has to with the shop getting paid in a timely manner. If you are on the road can you take rig anywhere or only specific repair shops? Couple of things to consider.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
theeyres

Unlike auto companies, no shop has to accept any plans so be sure that somebody in your area will work on your rig if it needs help under one of the warranties you considering. I'm one who thinks most of the extended plans won't pay. You are gambling that you will win, they are gambling they will not pay out more than they get from you. They know the game. You don't. They will win most of the time. Nothing wrong with that as they won't stay in business unless they win more than they loose.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:56 AM   #5
rbev2308

I think I will take my buddy's advice as he bought an extended warranty and then his landing gear failed on his 4 month old unit. The MFR of his unit declared bankruptcy 2 months after he bought and it was a major named camper. It was eventually sucked up under one of the big three umbrella but the extended warranty said they only pay once the factory warranty was over but there was no factory warranty in place at that moment in time...So on his next camper, he put $3K in an account and every time he had a minor issue, some maintenance work done, etc, he used that fund and then replenished it..Very few things can happen that cost that much at one time unless you rolled it!!!
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:57 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Fridge can cost $2500.00+. I have easy care, haven't had to use them, but I have worked on units with this coverage and they seem to be fairly decent. Your choice, just offering my observations.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #7
rwmurphy15

I have done about 6 months of studying different extended service plans and reading a lot of posts on various RV forums. What I seen is a lot of claims are denied because of rust even if its a small spot no matter how old the unit is. If the repair shop even mentions rust claim denied. This seems like the big out for not paying claims. After being scamed by GS (see my post general Rv issues) I will self insure no waiting no hassles no denied claims from the insurer just me and the repair shop to get the job done and get back to camping. Put the money in the bank and use it as needed for problems. Alot of the ESP require you to show that your rv was inspected and serviced yearly to show that you are keeping up with the required maintance or claimed denied again. Make the right choice do the homework. Good Luck