Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
DocData757

Installing slide toppers but have a question

I've got my 4 new slide toppers (Carefree Kover II) ready to go up. I've read through the instructions and they are clear enough. However, when I look at the area where they tell me to install the brackets, I see a bit of a conflict.

The instructions want me to line up the bracket's top holes with the roof structure and the 2 side holes with the side wall structure. The drawing clearly show this will overlap the slide out flanges and mentions (in one of the drawing) about the having to add a spacer where the support is not over a flange because of the gap between the wall and the bracket in that area.

So, in looking at the area to install the brackets, I see each corner has a plastic square cover up there (mostly for decoration it looks like to me). This is going to make things all the more uneven because that square sticks out further then the flanges do from the slideout wall.

So my question is this...

Has anyone here installed these covers themselves? Do you think it is alright to remove those corner covers (or even cut them to fit around the corner of the topper support bracket?

I have a photo I will post shortly showing the corner.

Thanks!
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
DocData757

Here is a photo. The part I am considering removing (or cutting out a corner) is the square piece with the 3 screws holding it on in the upper right in the image. The 2 black lines are about where the instruction says to put the mounting holes.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
DocData757

Ok, it's gotten more confusing. I walked around the campground today and noticed that NO ONE has the brackets mounted as the instructions say to do them. They are all mounted completely inside the flanges vice being ON them.

???????
Old 02-24-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
Jim W

Hi, Sorry I can not be much help since I had the dealer install our slide toppers. Also the slide topper is a Dometic which I believe is different then your model.
I have attached an image of one of the slide toppers for you to look at. Hope this helps? You will need to zoom in on the rear of the camper to see the slide topper mounting and brackets.
Jim W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	318SAB Cougar2.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	272  
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:53 AM   #5
DocData757

Yes, there are several campers here with that sort of mount. The entire bracket is located against the wall, inside but not on top of the top and side flange. There are several campers here that also have the same ones that I am installing and they too are located in the same area. No one has them on top of the flange which is clearly called for in the instructions.

I am going to mount them as per the insrtuctions and will notch the corner of the square piece on the camper (removing a 1" square). I removed oneof these covers and found that it is strictly decorative, covering up the joint between the side and top flange.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #6
DocData757

Thought I'd make my confusion a little clearer. The 2 photos below show (1) where the instructions say to mount it. Mounting it here requires I address the thickness issue of the flanges AND that corner plastic cap. (2) is where EVERYONE in the campground has theirs installed regardless of brand. A&E, Carefree Economical, Kover II or Kover III.

Thought I'd give Carefee a call but, no, there's no phone number on their manual or website.

(Note: the 2 arrows in each photo show the edge of the flange).
Where the instructions say to mount it...

Where everyone else has it mounted...
Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Jim W

I think I will add to your confusion more. If you mount the bracket as in picture 1, the bracket that supports the roller for the slide topper would be to high and maybe cantilevered too much? This will also cause wind to bellow the topper more since it will be higher off the roof.
I believe this is why, who ever mount the slide toppers at the dealership mount them lower. To prevent the topper from bellowing in the wind. If you look at my picture of my Cougar and the other campers. You will see the roller bracket is almost inline with the roof edge. Does this make sense???
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
Firecapt

I'll tell you what Jim,

I wouldn't sweat the 1" or so that picture #1 represents. Since, as you have said, with all that you have seen (on other RV's) no matter what brand of topper or what they are mounted on, I'd go ahead and mount them as in picture #2. I can't see where it will make any appreciable difference in the end

It looks to me that from all your research, the pictures, and the small difference between pic 1 & 2 it will mount and function just fine. JMHO

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
DocData757

i'm installing it as in photo 2. The concept of keeping it low and there for more sloped makes a whole lot of sense.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
X-Treme

Any pics and/or reviews on how these toppers turned out?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocData757 View Post
i'm installing it as in photo 2. The concept of keeping it low and there for more sloped makes a whole lot of sense.
I'm with you. I went with photo #2. I installed 2 slide toppers on my unit. Low and sloped is exactly the way you want to do it so it will prevent water from pooling. Like some of the posts I've seen dealers install slide cover brackets any old way.. Some don't seem to care about the asthetics or mounting the bracket flush to the slide.

Very happy with my slide covers, especially the first time I drove away after a rainstorm and didn't have to clean the slides from the inside.

Nice Work on the Install.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
PaulR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocData757 View Post
I have a 2011 Cougar 276RLS. Any suggestions on a slide topper; I am thinking about the Dometic Elite? Do they stick out too far when closed since I like to dry camp in the National Parks where width at the top when parking (backing round corners) is limited because of the trees? Are they difficult to install? Do I need an "Airwedge?"
\

Moderator's Note:

You have submitted an almost identical post under a new thread in this same forum today. I will be deleting the first one in which you started a new thread.
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
dmichael

Solera Slide-Out Sleeve. A new option?

I've begun researching to find the best slide topper option for my 2013 Alpine and came across what appears to be a new design - Solera Slide-Out Sleeve Topper. Check out the YouTube video.

Is anyone familiar with this product? It appears that it may not be available yet but I like the idea and think it may be a better solution for a variety of reasons. Thoughts?
dmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Pmedic4

Cool Solera Slide Topper availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post
I've begun researching to find the best slide topper option for my 2013 Alpine and came across what appears to be a new design - Solera Slide-Out Sleeve Topper. Check out the YouTube video.

Is anyone familiar with this product? It appears that it may not be available yet but I like the idea and think it may be a better solution for a variety of reasons. Thoughts?
That looks good, and very tempting. Installation looks easy, like DIY simple, and the description of how it works is nice. Having seen though, the information I saw shows a date of April 2012, but when I did a dealer search there are no dealers for it, and even the Lippert site doesn't list this as product. Wonder what happened?

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
dmichael

follow up

I called earlier to the manufacturers website listed at the end of the video to find out more (www.themobileoutfitters.com) and didn't get through. Just tried again and did get through. Apparently this product never made it to the market and has been discontinued. Bummer cause it looks like a great concept. I didn't bother to ask them why they haven't taken down the YouTube video.
dmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
Pmedic4

No Solera Slide Toppers

Yeah, I was wondering. Even the Lippert web side mentions it, but doesn't have anything in it's catalog.

While I think it looks good, when you start to consider the fabric being pulled in with the slide, you could have binds, pinching, and even worse tearing of the fabric. Consider too that if you do put it in with the slide with leaves and junk on the fabric, left in over the winter, might even start to rot and stink? That 30 inches of fabric has to go somewhere, and leaves could cause problems, not to mention sticks, so your back to the same issue as no topper, right?

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote