Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
lakebrat

Fifth Wheel Covers

Does anyone have experience with 5th wheel covers for summer storage on Gulf Coast? What are pros and cons? Downside other than cost?
lakebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Other than cost, I don't see them lasting more than 3-4 yrs. my ADCO cover turned to dust in 3.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:35 AM   #3
bsmith0404

My ADCO is still like new after 1.5 years.....of course, it's still in the box I found an indoor storage facility for my 5er. Yeah I pay a bit more per month, but the camper stays so much cleaner and I'm not dealing with the cover, tire covers, etc...

No experience with covers in the area the OP asked about.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebrat View Post
Does anyone have experience with 5th wheel covers for summer storage on Gulf Coast? What are pros and cons? Downside other than cost?
Storage on the Gulf Coast, like storage in the southwest, is somewhat different, but both have some pretty significantly hot days. If you do a forum search for ADCO or COVER, you'll find a number of threads already posted that suggest using a cover. You'll also find just as many that suggest not using a cover.

One of the questions posed in many of those threads is whether or not the cover played a part in front cap delamination, bubbling or cracking. Some suggest it does, some suggest it doesn't. Do some research on the forum's previous posts about using a cover and you'll find suggestions such as, "I couldn't live without it." All the way to, "I'll never use one again." I think it's got to be a personal choice with an understanding that there "MAY" be risks that go along with the benefits.

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
mazboy123

covers

i was taught NOT to cover the trailer. so, my recommendation is don't waste your money or time.

your trailer is built to be outside.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:48 AM   #6
bsmith0404

The biggest reason I can see to cover is to protect the finish. Taking care of an RV is a lot of work IF you want to keep your investment looking good. They may be made to be outside, but the roof, paint, and decals take a lot of abuse from the sun and elements. I have put mine into an inside storage facility with power so I can keep a battery tender hooked up and the RV stays looking new. As already mentioned, there is debate about if covers cause damage or not, but I will say they need something. The storage lot where I keep mine has three options, inside storage, covered storage, and open lot storage. Obviously I can't see the ones inside, but we can assume they look great. The ones under the covered storage look great, some a bit dirty/dusty, either put away that way or have been sitting there a while. The ones outside are faded and just don't look good. Yes, a little elbow grease and a few coats of wax each year (at least 2, recommend 3-4) would go a long way to protect them. It amazes me to see a Montana or similar camper that is only a couple years old faded and dingy. For me, I spent too much money on my RV to allow that to happen.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
lakebrat

Thanks for info

Thanks for the information on RV covers; will continue to do research. Any additional comments will be welcome.
lakebrat is offline   Reply With Quote