Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2014, 02:42 AM   #1
therink

2015 gmc 3500hd

I am about to pull the trigger to factory order a 2015.5 GMC 3500HD SLT, Duramax, All Terrain Edition, crew, SRW. Dealer is willing to sell at invoice less GM incentives (currently $2000 rebate). this puts the price at around $55k (msrp $62). I told him exactly what option codes I wanted and he provided me a print out of the build with invoice pricing, which matches NADA. Does this sound about right?
I am not trading current truck to keep the deal clean.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:39 AM   #2
mguay

My MSRP was $65k. 2015.5 Denali DRW. My out the door price was $54k that included the 2k and dealer incentives. We do not have sales tax in NH.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:02 AM   #3
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguay View Post
My MSRP was $65k. 2015.5 Denali DRW. My out the door price was $54k that included the 2k and dealer incentives. We do not have sales tax in NH.
Great deal. How did you swing that? How do you like the new tow mirrors?

Old 11-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #4
sw342
Permanent User Ban

That price sounds about the range of the supplier discount. A better price would be the employee discount. Both of those are still above invoice. Dealers are not selling trucks at invoice, not matter what they say. If you are happy at the price take it, but don't let them fool you with the old lines of "selling this at invoice" and "you are stealing this truck from us. We are only making a couple hundred on it." Or the salesman telling you that "he can't even buy it for that cheap." They are being less than truthful, so they can move some product and make you fell like you are getting a deal at the same time. Its a win win for everyone if you are happy at the price.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw342 View Post
That price sounds about the range of the supplier discount. A better price would be the employee discount. Both of those are still above invoice. Dealers are not selling trucks at invoice, not matter what they say. If you are happy at the price take it, but don't let them fool you with the old lines of "selling this at invoice" and "you are stealing this truck from us. We are only making a couple hundred on it." Or the salesman telling you that "he can't even buy it for that cheap." They are being less than truthful, so they can move some product and make you fell like you are getting a deal at the same time. Its a win win for everyone if you are happy at the price.
Totally agree. Between the holdbacks, dealer incentives, quantity discounts, factory incentives, fleet bonuses, program discounts and individual dealership programs like finance rebates and banking incentives, this dealership isn't losing any money. He may only be making $2500, but even if he sells "at invoice" the "back end bonus" will assure that he can buy supper at a "fancy restaurant" while you're stopping by McDonald's on the way home because you just spent all your "hard earned cash" on a "great deal".......

Don't feel sorry for the dealership, if he were losing money on the deal, he'd certainly tell you, "NO"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw342 View Post
I know that invoice isn't dealer cost. It's a marketing technique. Isn't invoice considered a decent price or should I be able to do better? If so how much?

Old 11-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
I know that invoice isn't dealer cost. It's a marketing technique. Isn't invoice considered a decent price or should I be able to do better? If so how much?
Around here, dealers regularly advertise sales at $1000 under invoice, $500 under invoice, etc. And around Thanksgiving they even throw in a "free" turkey or ham (buyer's choice). Then there's also the $750 "extra bonus cash" card that you get in the mail. Instructions are: "Give this to your salesman AFTER your best deal for an additional $750 off the best price."

There's a "load" of negotiating room in any deal, especially in a $70K vehicle that the manufacturer built for $25K.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
sw342
Permanent User Ban

With the invent of the internet, car buying has never been more confusing and the dealers love it this way. Invoice pricing means next to nothing, except to get you in the door. All the articles, blogs, Edmunds, True price mean nothing. Of course there is some truth mixed in with the numbers, but the whole story is not being told. If you want to get the best price you will have to visit multiple dealers and work multiple deals. Calling the dealers "internet departments" doesn't count. Don't rely on the internet to tell you what the best price on a vehicle is. You have to go find out for yourself. I like to visit multiple dealers to get a real feel for the price.

Again if you are happy with the price take it and enjoy your new truck. There are always going to be people who will buy cheaper than you and those who will pay more. Spend within your budget and enjoy.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
mguay

Quote:
Great deal. How did you swing that? How do you like the new tow mirrors?
It is from the dealer that I bought the '13 from which is a 2 hr drive from me. I live 1/2 of a mile from the closest GM dealer and know everyone that works there. When we were shopping for the 13, the DW wanted Sonoma Red. My dealer couldn't get one and wouldn't trade from dealer B. SO...I went to dealer B.
I was thinking one day...I wonder what kind of deal there is on 15's so I called both. Again dealer B was 4k less than dealer A and they couldn't touch the pricing.....SO I ordered the 15 on Oct 17th at Dealer B. I
checked yesterday and it is scheduled for production next week.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
therink

Thanks so far for the insight. Because I am ordering, I know the exact build that I want. I will email my specs w/ option codes to several dealers and see if anyone will bite at $1000 below invoice. I have no trade to deal with so it is a clean deal and I qualify for low rate finance so will give them option of providing financing which usually helps.
Giddy up. Can't wait for a Dmax.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

GM dealerships in the northern Michigan area are currently advertising "Employee discount pricing" for all buyers. They are advertising up to $9500 off MSRP for any 2014/2015 vehicle in stock. While this may not include special order vehicles, the pricing certainly is more than $1000 under "dealer invoice". You can bet they aren't selling "anything and everything" on the lot at a loss either.
I recently did some research for pricing on new F250's and found this:

MSRP: $58,796
Invoice: $53,412
AVG Sale Price: $52,118
Current Offering: $50,516

This was for a 2015 F250 FX4 CrewCab 6.7L Diesel with multiple options including power folding mirrors, sliding/heated rear window, 5th wheel/gooseneck prep package, captain's chairs/console, electric "Most stuff", productivity center, and quite a bit of added optional equipment. The pricing includes the $1135 transportation charge as well.

As you can see, the average sale price for the northern Michigan area was $1294 under invoice and the truck is currently offered by several competing dealerships in this area for $2896 under invoice.

As competitive as the manufacturers have been, I feel certain that GM is very close to the same pricing percentages and likely to be very close in actual numbers.

Good Luck with your search.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #12
denverpilot

Quote:

Anyone can make up an invoice, is the old adage here. Would you like me to mail you one I will make in Excel in five minutes? I'll put whatever numbers you want on it.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
Hansel

It is amazing how much money they are getting for a new truck, people are paying more for a truck than I owe on my house. I will keep driving my 2001 until it's dead and maybe by then Ford will have the 6.7L bugs worked out.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
It is amazing how much money they are getting for a new truck, people are paying more for a truck than I owe on my house. I will keep driving my 2001 until it's dead and maybe by then Ford will have the 6.7L bugs worked out.
You got that right!! Watching my old IDI sit on the driveway for weeks at a time is easy knowing it's paid for.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:54 AM   #15
Tbristol

Quote:
checked yesterday and it is scheduled for production next week.
I wouldn't hold that date as a reality. I work at the factory where that truck is being built. Well I did until last Friday, when I retired. We are about 3000 trucks behind. We're working 6 days 3 shifts. Plus that date Is usually an estimate. When I ordered my Truck in 2009. It was built 6 weeks after the date I was given that it was supposed to be built. Also, when your truck is built they will let you come and watch it come down final assembly. Ask your dealer or contact someone on GMs Web site. They will take your picture and the whole 9 yards.
Tbristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:07 AM   #16
Brantlaker

I picked up my new FORD F350 6.7 Diesel,3.55 rear,4X4. MSRP $65.128 paid $58,725 with $3,000 cash back from Ford and 2.9% financing.They gave me $30,000 trade in on my 2012 F250 which was what the NADA said it was worth at max trade. I know that you are a Chevy/GMC guy but now Ford has a 0% financing for up to 60 months. This truck pulls my 11K 5er like it isn't back there. you can build it on line on the Ford website.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:45 AM   #17
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post
It amazes me how much folks pay for all the extra gewgaws on these new trucks... I bought a brand new '12 F250 XL, 6.7, CC, LB 2WD with CD player, power/tinted windows and door locks, tilt wheel, air, heater, HD alternator, power/heated mirrors, hitch, and OEM brake controller, for $36,000 including TT&L and a full tank of fuel.

Truck don't talk back neither... which I really like
Old 11-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #18
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlaker View Post
I picked up my new FORD F350 6.7 Diesel,3.55 rear,4X4. MSRP $65.128 paid $58,725 with $3,000 cash back from Ford and 2.9% financing.They gave me $30,000 trade in on my 2012 F250 which was what the NADA said it was worth at max trade. I know that you are a Chevy/GMC guy but now Ford has a 0% financing for up to 60 months. This truck pulls my 11K 5er like it isn't back there. you can build it on line on the Ford website.
Thanks for the tip. I test drove a 15 Lariat F350 SRW 1 ton Powerstroke. It was a beautiful truck but did not like the way it drove as a daily driver. While the solid front aaxle is good, the ride was just to choppy for my needs. Also, the steering is not as nimble as I am used to with the GM HD.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #19
mguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbristol View Post
I wouldn't hold that date as a reality. I work at the factory where that truck is being built. Well I did until last Friday, when I retired. We are about 3000 trucks behind. We're working 6 days 3 shifts. Plus that date Is usually an estimate. When I ordered my Truck in 2009. It was built 6 weeks after the date I was given that it was supposed to be built. Also, when your truck is built they will let you come and watch it come down final assembly. Ask your dealer or contact someone on GMs Web site. They will take your picture and the whole 9 yards.
I hear you and have heard of the backup. My dealer told me the average was 8 weeks on the trucks they had ordered. Over on the Duramax Forum, 99% of the ordered trucks were delivered in 8 weeks or less depending on the dealer location within the country.
I actually sent a msg to GM Customer Care 2 weeks ago asking for pics as I am unable to make the trip to Flint. It took about 10 days for them to get back to me and the answer was that it couldn't be done as I didn't ask for it when the order was placed. I asked 3 days after the order was placed...but not soon enough! I figured they might be able to justify a few pics after this will be the second one in about 14 months.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
Tbristol

Quote:
I hear you and have heard of the backup. My dealer told me the average was 8 weeks on the trucks they had ordered. Over on the Duramax Forum, 99% of the ordered trucks were delivered in 8 weeks or less depending on the dealer location within the country.
I actually sent a msg to GM Customer Care 2 weeks ago asking for pics as I am unable to make the trip to Flint. It took about 10 days for them to get back to me and the answer was that it couldn't be done as I didn't ask for it when the order was placed. I asked 3 days after the order was placed...but not soon enough! I figured they might be able to justify a few pics after this will be the second one in about 14 months.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
Sounds like Hogwash to me. It hasn't even been put into the system yet and the person said it was to late? I would go talk to the sales manager or someone who has contact with GM at your dealership. That email you got, seems like a a Standard form reply from a clueless person. I would take pictures for you but like the said I retired Friday. I vowed to never walk back into the place again. [emoji3]
Tbristol is offline   Reply With Quote