Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2014, 05:31 AM   #1
Scttw

Question Brand new Alpine - rodents in Ceiling

First Post ....

Hi everyone. Found this forum by searching google for a problem I have.

I have a brand new 2014 40' Alpine 3620FL set up as a park model along with a 12 x 23 foot Florida room out front. Needless to say, no I will not be towing this. My wife and I fell in love with the layout and the trim levels and that is the reason we went this route.

Last night we were woken up to several noises which sound like they are coming from the drop ceiling. It also sounds like they have nuts or pine cones because that rolling sound is a dead giveaway. My question is how the heck did they get in there and how do I get them out and prevent them from coming back. I assume they are chipmunks which are extremely prevalent in the park this year. Not many red squirrels.

Sounds are all over the ceiling .... and sometimes in the interior wall of the bathroom/master. We have heard 3-4 places at a time so their whole family are there.

I have seen posts relating to the underbelly ..... there are certainly places a chipmunk could get in - no question. But if so, how the heck does Keystone sell a product that would allow a chipmunk (assuming) to get in and be able to go up the walls and set up camp in the ceiling? It just doesn't make any sense.

Our dealer is pretty good and we did buy the extended warranty, but I doubt this is a warranty claim. I will contact them tomorrow but I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas as to what is going on with us.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Scott
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The "attic structure" SHOULD BE sealed fairly well. There aren't any direct runs from the ceiling through the walls and into the basement area, so they shouldn't have access to get into your attic space that way.

Two possibilities come to mind. First, is it possible they are on the roof? It isn't a large space, so it's possible something crawling around on the roof (or even a palm branch scraping the roof as it's blown by the wind) could sound like it's inside when it really isn't ?

Second, is it possible that when they attached the Florida room onto the side of your RV, the workers cut holes for electrical/propane access and the "visitors" are getting in that way?

On some RV's there are attic vents on the roof. These usually have a screen to prevent anything from getting inside. Is it possible that the workers removed one (or more) of these vents when installing the Florida room?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:22 AM   #3
Scttw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "attic structure" SHOULD BE sealed fairly well. There aren't any direct runs from the ceiling through the walls and into the basement area, so they shouldn't have access to get into your attic space that way.

Two possibilities come to mind. First, is it possible they are on the roof? It isn't a large space, so it's possible something crawling around on the roof (or even a palm branch scraping the roof as it's blown by the wind) could sound like it's inside when it really isn't ?

Second, is it possible that when they attached the Florida room onto the side of your RV, the workers cut holes for electrical/propane access and the "visitors" are getting in that way?

Thanks for your reply.

I went up on the ceiling and nothing is up there or touching, and my wife could still hear them inside. The Florida room was simply attached with a rail system and no access was made to accommodate anything. They are definitely directly on top of the inside paneled ceiling. I just no idea as to how they got in and where to stop it from happening. Not to mention in a couple walls, which is likely the path the took to get up top. I suppose I could pulll down a Pot light and see if I can get a mirror and light up there ..... It's so frustrating with a brand new 70k trailer .... this shouldn't be happening.

Thx again.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #4
kellydog98

Before you start taking apart things to give it a look you might want to inquire from an exterminator 'what' is the best method of ridding yourself of these beast. That way you will be prepared to 'bait' when you take apart a light fixture or such. Just would want to be prepared. Good Luck.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
Randy_K

I would be getting them out asap. I can't imagine the damage they could do to the wiring. Good luck.

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

The only way I can see that critters could get up there in the walls that the tank vents run through. The chloroplasts has many openings that those little buggers can get in through. Don't use any poison baits as they may die in the ceiling. Trapping outside may work best but finding the entrance point along the vent and sealing it is critical. You could have this problem in a $500k stick home so don't feel bad. Good luck, Hank

I hate auto correct! !!!
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
bsmith0404

is it possible they got in through the AC units? Maybe pull the covers and see if they are just down in the duct work.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
Scttw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
The only way I can see that critters could get up there in the walls that the tank vents run through. The chloroplasts has many openings that those little buggers can get in through. Don't use any poison baits as they may die in the ceiling. Trapping outside may work best but finding the entrance point along the vent and sealing it is critical. You could have this problem in a $500k stick home so don't feel bad. Good luck, Hank

I hate auto correct! !!!
So are you thinking maybe they got through the belly, then up the tank vents once inside?

This afternoon they were silent, so thinking they left, I went under and sealed up every possible spot to get in the belly ..... The spray foam used to seal around the Hot and water hose valves had an access hole so that and a couple other places are now duct taped. I know the tape won't keep them out but when I go back up on the weekend I will be able to visibly tell if they re-entered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
is it possible they got in through the AC units? Maybe pull the covers and see if they are just down in the duct work.
Yes, very possible, and I thought of this. I ran out of time or I would have pulled the covers. They seem noisier at the front raised LR so maybe that unit is letting them in. But won't the ducting be on the opposite side of the rad? Or is there still room to get by it do you think?

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I appreciate it.

I will call my dealer tomorrow AM and report back on what they say.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
mguay

Actually there are many ways for a mouse to find it's way to the attic space. There is wiring running from the belly to the attic to power the lights, tv antennae and such. If you have ever looked into the "Enclosed" places of an RV you know that precision is not a trait that most RV builders have. The holes are always drilled about 5 times larger than needed.

Being in the business of Pest Management, I can tell you that if you are hearing the noise at night, the rodent is nocturnal. This is not the case for a chipmunk or red squirrel.

The easiest way into the attic space is through the trim of the ceiling vent. Pull that down and you will be able to look right in.

Like others have said it might be on the roof and not in the ceiling. Depending on where you are you might have Flying Squirrels. They are nocturnal and usually will roll acorns. IMO they are too big to gain access to the attic space.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #10
therink

I believe some of the higher-end fivers such as the alpine have attic vents (1 or 2) which look just like tank vent stacks. I am thinking that a mouse could get in through the gap under the cap and then into the attic space. They could be getting onto the roof from the adjacent structure.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #11
Scttw

update

I spoke with my dealer, and he agreed that the most likely place they have come in is the underbelly. Since I have taped up all noticeable access points underneath, if the tape is eaten away when I go back up on Friday, I'll know for sure. He said since I hear sounds in an interior wall that likely they are running up a water line or electrical line. He said the water lines they like to keep on inside walls to protect in the cold weather. Once they get in an inside wall - it's completely open to the top. According to him.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
gearhead

I don't think I would wait too long. Here is an example of what mice did to a wiring harness on a 1,500HP Waukesha engine. Probably close to $100,000 worth of damage to 5 engines.
I sure hated to make that phone call.
Hello Houston, we have a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00831.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	6969  
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
Scttw

Still on the same topic ..... Has anyone used "Fresh-Cab" and does it work?
Old 09-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
hankaye

Scttw, Howdy;

Did a quick search to see what we are talking about; http://www.southernrv.com/2014-keyst...el-ga-i1171790
Beautiful unit!
Most of these trailers are built with a, compared to the front and sides,
hollow (read batt style insulation), opposed to the laminated foam core panels
Mr. & Mrs. Mouse have probably exploited that weakness and are using it
for their commutes to an from the grocery store ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scttw View Post
Still on the same topic ..... Has anyone used "Fresh-Cab" and does it work?
I don't know about it working in campers, but my parents use it in their tractors/ combine cabs over winter to keep mice out. It has worked for them for the 3 years they've been using it, but they do have to remember to put new ones in when the old ones aren't as smelly anymore (usually once in the middle of winter). If you are thinking of using them, smell them first yourself. I think they stink to high heaven and wouldn't use them, but that's just me.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:05 AM   #16
tdawg

Fresh cab works great put in compartments and several inside it will drive them out worked for me.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote