Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
Bayoublue

Cable slides vs rack & pinion slides

I've been shopping for a new TT and learning stuff about them every time I visit a different dealer. I'm getting mixed signals about which slide out mechanisms are the best. Can anyone tell me if they prefer one over the other and why?
Thanks in advance
BB
Bayoublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
kellydog98

Either one will serve you well, personally, I like the screws over the cable. However, which ever you choose you will want to pay particular attention to the 'How to retract if there's a problem'. That seems to be the biggest problem out there. Good Luck and happy pulling.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

That question is sort of like asking, "Which is better, propellers or jet engines?"
Jets have essentially replaced propeller driven aircraft, but both are still being built and both function very well in specific situations, one better suited than the other depending on how it's to be used.

Cable driven slides, just like hydraulic or gear driven systems all function well in specific situations and each has benefits and disadvantages. Cable systems, in my opinion, seem to be well suited for small slides, take up less space, weigh less and are reliable, but they don't seem well suited for larger, heavy slides as the pulley systems and guides tend to wear unless the owner stays on top of maintenance and adjustment.

Gear driven slides are reliable, fairly easy to work on, function well on larger slides, but are heavier, bulky and not really well suited to employ on smaller slides like bedroom or wardrobe slides.

Hydraulic slides are usually only seen in larger RV's and not commonly used on travel trailers, rather they are most often used on large toy haulers and heavier fifth wheelers where multiple slides can be driven by a central hydraulic pump.

All types of slides are becoming more and more reliable, but in travel trailers, the cable driven and gear driven are most common. Both seem to do very well in these applications.

Knowing how to maintain and operate the mechanism in the event of a system failure is the key to owning either type of slide system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
Bayoublue

I feel better. I heard that the cable slides were being discontinued because of too many problems. We really like this one TT and after hearing that we started having second thoughts about buying it.
Thank you both for the replies.
BB
Bayoublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I just did a PDI on a '15 Outback. All 3 slides were cable.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
BulletOwner1

I've had a class A motor home, and 2 TT's with cable slides. Never a problem.