Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
DocData757

Dometic Programmable Thermostat Bug

From what I can tell, the Dometic Programmable Thermostat has a 'bug' in its programming. I'm pretty sure it's in everyone of these out there (or at least the new ones, since mine is in a 2011 Alpine 3500E) and I am wondering if any of you that have this thermostat can do a simple test to see if the bug is in yours too.

The thermostat I am talking about is a black rectangular unit that has several square buttons around a circular digital back-lit readout. I can post a photo later but we are visiting family and won't get back to out rig for about a week and a half.

Here's what you do to test it...
1. Make sure the unit is set for the correct time.
2. Setup PROG1 to start at 7:30AM at 65 degrees or whatever daytime temp you prefer. This will be your daytime program.
3. Setup PROG2 to start at 10PM and set it at 56 degrees. This will be the night time program. You can turn everything off later or change the times or temps more to your liking.

Now, before noon, the readout should show that PROG1 is active. If the thing was working correctly, it would be on PROG1 until 10pm in the evening.

Just before noon, confirm it is still on PROG1. Then, if you have the same issue as I, at 12 Noon, the until will change to PROG2 (the night time program). At 1PM it will change back to PROG1.

I guess, if you wanted you could stay up until midnight where you will see the unit shift from PROG2 to PROG1 (daytime program) at 12 midnight and back to PROG2 at 1AM.

I've already heard from one person with the same issue and I'm trying to determine how widespread the problem is so let me know.

Thanks!
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
DocData757

BTW, if you can post a photo of the unit to help others identify this before I get a chance to, please feel free.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
X-Treme

Old 01-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
DocData757

Excellent! That's the one!

BTW, I see they did the same quailty job of labeling your light switches too.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
X-Treme

Actually this is not MY unit. Haven't picked er up yet. Gonna wait til it gets a LOT warmer than it is now. Found this pic on the interweb.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
CRUZIN 2

Thermostat Bug

Dave, we don't have to do the test. That is the very same thing ours would do. I have called several people on the problem with not much help. They think I'm nuts, we need some help on this bug.

LARRY & LAVONNE HUMMEL
Full-Timer
GMC Sierra 3500 DRW D/A Denali 2011
ALPINE 2013 3535RE
CRUZIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:41 AM   #7
mikell

Same t stat but were using it manually right now and am not going to mess with it till spring and then we want to use the heat pump. Were gone a lot so I don't want to have a problem while were out. Tonight it's going down to -8 In the bed room and the main room there's round plastic domes with slots is that the zone temprature pick ups?

mike
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
DocData757

Mikell

Yes, those are the temperature sensors. Zone 1 is the bedroom and Zone 2 the living room.

I sure wish you'd test it. We need corroboration that this is a wide spread, if not universal, problem with this thermostat. After you program the unit and do the test at noon to 1PM, you can just hold down the Prog key for a few seconds. The programming all gets shut off and you are back to manual.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
DocData757

I talked to a Keystone rep today during a phone call from them as a follow up to the warranty repairs I had done. During that conversation I mentioned that the only outstanding issue I had was this problem with the Dometic Thermostat. They asked me to keep them inform.

So, if you guys have this thermostat, PLEASE, run the test and post your results. If I can get 4 or 5 of you that have the same issue, we might have enough clout to go back to Dometic on this.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
CRUZIN 2

Thermostat Bug

Thanks Dave for your note on calling Keystone about our problem.

LARRY & LAVONNE HUMMEL
Full-Timer
GMC Sierra 3500 DRW D/A Denali 2011
ALPINE 2013 3535RE
CRUZIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
mikell

I really haven't had time. Busy days at work and snow plowing in the park for 4 hours after work. I just ate and am headed back to the plow truck in a little while.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
DocData757

I find that I'm curious (concerned?) that I can't find this thermostat on the Dometic website. The closest thing is their 'Digital Comfort Control Center'. (http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ctdataid=66938)

I'm wondering if the thing we have is something that's obsolete and has been replaced by a new design. if so, then we're out of luck across the board.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #13
geo

Thermostat missing on website

I have the same programming problem. But only twice a day.

No, I think the thermostat is new and has never been put on Dometic's website. I've been looking at the Dometic site for about a year looking for this thermostat for more information on it. Never have found anything about it.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
DocData757

Thanks.

So, we are now up to three people with the same issue. If I can get a few more, I'll be going back to Dometic on it.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #15
DocData757

BTW, I would also like to hear from anyone that has this thermostat and does NOT have this issue.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #16
andyrad

We pick up our new 3450RL tomorrow and are heading straight for the mountains for it's first shakedown. Since it'll get to about -2C at night right now we should be able to test it all out and I'll post my results. Kind of pumped about getting this unit.
andyrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
DocData757

Talked with Dometic yesterday. The lady understood the issue and escalated it. Person to which it was escalated was at lunch and never returned my call. Gee I'm surprised!

Called back today. I think the new person I talked to understood the issue (although I'm not sure). Got the stock answer, slightly modified... Take it to a repair center and once they confirm the issue, have them call Dometic for replacement authorization.

What damn good will that do. I have no doubt that every unit that exist like this has the same issue. Everyone that I have go to run the test has the same issue.

I'm full timing and I'm supposed to pack up my 5vr to let same repair guy (who might not even understand what I can describing) look at this and MAYBE replace it with another unit with the same flaw? Yeah, right.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
DocData757

I called Keystone again and am trying to get them to get Dometic to run a test on their units. Should be easy enough to do but I'm not confident this will ever get fixed.

I've given up using the programming feature of this POS. I adjust the temp when we get up and when we go to bed manually.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #19
DocData757

Heard from Keystone today. Dometic has acknowledge the issue and is running off a new batch of reprogrammed thermostats. Keystone said they would let me know when they are ready and would either send me one (or it might come direct from Dometic). They have a list off VIN's that have this thermostat and I would assume everyone will be contacted when the new units are ready. Should be a simple job to swap them out.

I will post again when I hear that the unit is on its way.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #20
geo

Thumbs up Thanks!

Dave -

On behalf of all who have this thermostat problem:

THANKS!!!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote