Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
manley

Hate your booth dinette?

I did, so made this quick, easy, and affordable modification. Picked up two bowback chairs at Wal-Mart, and carefully removed one side of the booth. My booth had two outlets that had to be dealt with, so I scavenged some of the materials from the discarded booth to make an "outlet box". I also used some seam tape to cover up the screwholes in the wall. Looks pretty good, IMHO. DW doesn't want to get rid of the other booth right now, so I make her sit there.

manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by manley View Post
DW doesn't want to get rid of the other booth right now, so I make her sit there.
Your a braver man than I. ....... Looks great! I've always wondered how many holes it would leave. My electric is on the other side so I just may do this one. Thanks for the pics. My only concern is that the back of the booth acts as a gusset and stiffens the slides wall. I know they sell them without booths ..... I'm just a worrier I guess.
Thanks again for sharing, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
deraada

Dinette removal

Did you have any trouble with there being marks or lines on the carpet from where the booth sat after you removed it? We hate our booth seating and our biggest concern with removing it would be that the carpet would have permanent marks or grooves in it from the weight of the booth.

Thanks for posting this info and picture. I'm going to show it to my husband tonight!!
deraada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
HigginsPod

booth

hate the booth.................

what kind of trailer is that??? I am thinking really hard about pilling that side of the booth out. DH is not sure he wants to do that. We are looking to upgrade in 2-3 years
2010 Chevy HD Silverado
HigginsPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Balldome

Dw dh

What the heck is DH and DW stand for? Sorry for being a dork.
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
Balldome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
JReinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldome View Post
What the heck is DH and DW stand for? Sorry for being a dork.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=449

Moderator's note:
The above link indicates the "official" forum meaning of DH and DW. As is customary and proper, the "D" should always stand for "Darling" ---- as in Darling Husband or Darling Wife. However, we do not want to stifle our members' imagination and creativity. It is both appropriate and acceptable in certain circumstances, that other "D" words could be substituted. However, in the interests of forum dignity and decorum, those "other D words" will not be discussed here. I think "Darling" is quite suitable and should be used in almost all instances.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraada View Post
Did you have any trouble with there being marks or lines on the carpet from where the booth sat after you removed it? We hate our booth seating and our biggest concern with removing it would be that the carpet would have permanent marks or grooves in it from the weight of the booth.

Thanks for posting this info and picture. I'm going to show it to my husband tonight!!
Nah, there were no permanent marks in the carpet. I shampooed it with some spray foam carpet cleaner, and a good stiff bristle brush. It cleaned right up!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:34 AM   #8
manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigginsPod View Post
hate the booth.................

what kind of trailer is that??? I am thinking really hard about pilling that side of the booth out. DH is not sure he wants to do that. We are looking to upgrade in 2-3 years
The camper is a 2009 Cougar X-Lite, 29 RLS. It is an EASY mod, and for me, WELL worth the hour or so I spent on it!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:34 AM   #9
manley

And thanks for the comments, by the way!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:50 AM   #10
HigginsPod

29rls

Just like ours............... I thought it could be done. Now my question is: IF you needed to (for resale value) could you put that 1/2 of the booth back in???? I love the chairs --- they go right with the color scheme!!! GREAT!!!! Wonder if I can keep him occupied this weekend!!!!!
2010 Chevy HD Silverado
Old 03-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #11
HigginsPod

oops

so ours is a 27rls............. can it be that much different????? I think I may just look very SERIOUSLY into doing this...........
2010 Chevy HD Silverado
Old 03-05-2011, 05:54 AM   #12
manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigginsPod View Post
Just like ours............... I thought it could be done. Now my question is: IF you needed to (for resale value) could you put that 1/2 of the booth back in???? I love the chairs --- they go right with the color scheme!!! GREAT!!!! Wonder if I can keep him occupied this weekend!!!!!
I actually saved the cushions, the paneling, etc, in the event I ever need to make a repair. I had to use a little bit of the framing & paneling to do the "box" for my electrical stuff.

Your 27RLS, I would bet, has the exact same slide as my 29. There's not THAT much difference in the floor plans...

29RLS:

27RLS:
Old 03-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #13
manley

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Your a braver man than I. ....... Looks great! I've always wondered how many holes it would leave. My electric is on the other side so I just may do this one. Thanks for the pics. My only concern is that the back of the booth acts as a gusset and stiffens the slides wall. I know they sell them without booths ..... I'm just a worrier I guess.
Thanks again for sharing, Hank
If that dinette strengthens ANYTHING, I'd be SHOCKED! It's pretty flimsy, when you get it apart you'll see what I mean.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
HigginsPod

Thumbs up Booth

We did it!!!
If you would like to see the progress please check out my blog @
http://higginspod.blogspot.com/

Click image for larger version

Name:	5 Mar 11 Pod Mod 007.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	281

Not sure if the picture came out on this either. I know they are on my blog
Thanks again Manley!!! Like your chairs.......... love mine!!
2010 Chevy HD Silverado
Old 03-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #15
manley

Looks great! I'm sure you will love it as much as I do!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #16
chuck&gail

Stupid Booth

I removed the booth completely, and installed a Lazyboy recliner in its place. I love it. Sure was nice to find floor and wall all were finished before Keystone installed the booth, made my life easier.
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #17
Beth323

Great idea. Awesome mod. Dh and I did not like our U shaped dinette in our slide out (260fl) we removed the whole dinette and put in 2 lazy boys. We carry a couple wooden fold up tv tables. Works good for us.
Beth323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #18
hankpage
Site Team

manley, Mentioned the mod to the DW (I really thought it was going to be a hard sell) She said "We are leaving for vacation April 1 ..... What are you waiting for? Do it!" ... Pulled everything out today and had a brain storm about moving the table next to the cOUCH (not very comfy) and mounting a shelf for the computer on the back wall. Photos will follow. Still have to run the shelf idea past the Boss. Thanks again for the idea and encouragement, Hank
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #19
hankpage
Site Team

Got the OK for the computer shelf ... will work on that tomorrow. Here is the progress so far.

Ripped everything out. I can't believe all the room.
[IMG][/IMG]

Relocated the outlet from the bench to the rear wall.

[IMG][/IMG]

Mounted the table next to the couch.

[IMG][/IMG]

Tomorrow I'll mount the computer shelf and still have a week to find chairs that the DW will like.
Wish me luck, Hank
Old 03-24-2011, 12:29 AM   #20
cpaulsen

I am going to take mine out totally. Going to go with a twin size futon in case we need extra place to sleep. It will work as a small couch in the slide. We usually sit in the back rear lounge and eat with a couple of folding tv trays.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote