Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2014, 06:51 AM   #1
canesfan

Nu Finish Users Question

I have a bottle sitting in the garage for a long time and was reading the label yesterday and it says "Do not use Nu Finish Car Polish on vinyl, plastic trim, simulated wood, rubber or flat paint".

Decals are vinyl, what do you do about that? I can't see anyone trying to polish around all the decals, more than half my rig is covered with decals. Just wondering since there are already issues with decals cracking/peeling without adding something else that may cause issues.

What do you do?
Old 04-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
I have a bottle sitting in the garage for a long time and was reading the label yesterday and it says "Do not use Nu Finish Car Polish on vinyl, plastic trim, simulated wood, rubber or flat paint".

Decals are vinyl, what do you do about that? I can't see anyone trying to polish around all the decals, more than half my rig is covered with decals. Just wondering since there are already issues with decals cracking/peeling without adding something else that may cause issues.

What do you do?
canesfan -
I've used Nu Finish for years on a variety of RV's - many of which have had decals. When polishing, I've always applied it over the decals and have never had an issue with cracking, discoloration or peeling. I think that, on certain kinds of vinyl, that may be an issue but not on RV decals. Heat and UV rays would cause more problems with vinyl than Nu Finish IMO.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
canesfan

Thanks, I was wondering if it was something in it, like how petrolium distilates are bad for rubber roofs. However I can't find what's actually in it. I have a serious issue with one side getting about 20 hours of sun in the Summer , and every one I've had since I've lived here had yellowing, fading, and cracking and peeling decals on that side no matter what I used on it. I never tried Nu Finish though, but even 303 hasn't totally stopped it.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
B&T

Certainly it is NOT! for use on rubber roofs
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Nu Finish is a cleaner wax with a more corse abbrasive than other types of waxes, like a polish and wax combined. If used aggressively on decals it can actually haze them a bit. As for rubber and hard plastics like trim, like most waxes it'll discolor and is next to impossible to remove.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:51 AM   #6
far733

So is it okay to use NuFinish over the decals or not?
far733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #7
archbarb

I've used Nufinish for several years now on two different RV's. Never any trouble with the decals. NuFinish is a polymer and does not contain any wax.

http://www.nufinish.com/car-care/car-wax-vs-car-polish.

Very easy to use. My fifth wheel is about 36' long and takes about two bottles of NuFinish to complete the task!!!!!

Archie
archbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #8
webslave

I've been using Nu-Finish since the early '70's when I had a boat... The warning about the vinyl (don't) is aimed primarily at the vinyl roof and the convertible tops on automobiles. It gets into the "grain" of said vinyl applications and when dry turns white and very ugly and virtually impossible to get out... I had a friend that saw me doing my Austin Healey once and he didn't notice that I didn't do the top; he went out and bought some and did his Monte Carlo, including the vinyl half-roof. What a mess. The Nu-Finish dried white in all the little crevices in the textured vinyl and he never did get it all out. Eventually, he replaced the half-roof with new vinyl. I've used it on vinyl boat graphics and a handful of RVs with vinyl graphics; no ill effects at all on any of them.

It does have some potent solvents in it (it does almost as good a job on removing road tar as a dedicated road tar remover), so, you don't want to spend a lot of time and labor working it into the edges of the decals to prevent it from loosening the adhesive. A simple wipe on, wipe off is all that is necessary for its use anyway unless you have pine sap or road tar that you need to scrub at.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
theeyres

Why not email Nu-Finish and ask them the specific question about RV decals? That would give us a definitive answer. I'd love to hear their response so please post it if you do so. I've used it for years on RV's without a problem--including the vinyl decals.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
far733

Front Gel Cap

Is Nufinish safe to used on the TT's front gel-coated cap?

Edit: I tried looking for contact info for Nufinish, but couldn't find any....
far733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by far733 View Post
Is Nufinish safe to used on the TT's front gel-coated cap?

Edit: I tried looking for contact info for Nufinish, but couldn't find any....

Google says ....... www.nufinish.com
Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
canesfan

They don't want you to contact them, there is no direct contact info on their website, but you may be able to in a round about way via

Reed-Union Corp
875 N Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 644-3200

Let us know what you find out, I'm pretty happy with the answers I got here.