Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2014, 02:02 AM   #1
Wally15

EMS Installed....and working

Completed the install of a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C yesterday. Works great and I really like the scrolling display that shows hertz, L-1 and L-2 actual volts and amp load, and any error codes. I can actually "map" my line load by individual appliance, outlet, etc. Microwave is on L-1 and pulls 15 amps for example. Installed the EMS behind the main panel next to the converter.
Only install issue I had was when I pulled the main panel cover and discovered the main line from the 50 amp plug to the panel is 6 ga stranded wire with the exception that the ground wire is solid 12 ga . I checked and as best I can determine, code allows you to drop 2 wire sizes for your ground wire. 12 ga would be 3 sizes, so that's stretching the limits. I used 10 ga stranded for my ground wire.

This was my 1st "mod" to the TT, and I learned a lot. One thing I learned, my twin head 1000 watt halogen work light will heat up and light up the TT. And pulls 8 amps.
Attached a couple of pics. One shows the Keystone installed 6 ga w/ 12 ga ground. The 2nd shows the completed wiring job with the feed line on the left.
I need to go camping. It's getting expensive just having this TT sitting next to my shop where I can tinker and do add-ons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT 6 ga main.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	4927   Click image for larger version

Name:	EMS1.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	4928  
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Wally,

Nice install, now, like you said, it's time to use it, not spend more money on tinkering.... I think almost everyone from Atlanta (I-20) north is feeling that motivation about now.

One question for you: When you subbed the 10 ga ground wire for the 12ga, Is that on the power cord? or on the section from the EMS to the breaker box? The reason I'm asking is that it's my thinking that the ground is actually the connection at the power pole. So the "weakest link" (unless you rewired the power cord) is still going to be the 12 ga ground from the EMS back out of your RV. How is that part set up?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Dhuhn

Nice install I just did mine also, can't wait to get it out again.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Wally15

10 Ga ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Wally,

Nice install, now, like you said, it's time to use it, not spend more money on tinkering.... I think almost everyone from Atlanta (I-20) north is feeling that motivation about now.

One question for you: When you subbed the 10 ga ground wire for the 12ga, Is that on the power cord? or on the section from the EMS to the breaker box? The reason I'm asking is that it's my thinking that the ground is actually the connection at the power pole. So the "weakest link" (unless you rewired the power cord) is still going to be the 12 ga ground from the EMS back out of your RV. How is that part set up?
I ran the 10 ga ground from the EMS to the breaker box, a distance of only 30". The main cable from my external 4 prong connector to the EMS is the 12 ga ground supplied by Keystone. I'm fairly sure my power cord is all 6 ga 4 conductor to the power pole. While the EMS will protect the TT from power spikes, it might fry the 12 ga ground running underneath. Not a very comforting thought since I plan to leave it parked at the beach for 5-6 months.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
Bob Landry

You'll be fine with the safety ground. As long as the three current carrying wires are sized for 50A, you're good. Safety ground is allowed to be smaller.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
abneynormal

i love mine

I mounted mine above the switching unit. you will find its nice to look at a camp grounds voltage and if a ground breaks it is money well spent. we also go to bike rallys and a lot of them only have 30 amp service. its good to see the draw especially when you can only run 1 ac unit. enjoy your new "friend" as far as protecting your home on wheels.